number of reps per set.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

xshawnxearthx

number of reps per set.

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:18 am

ok, so i'm hearing a lot of different people telling me different things.

some people are saying go big, 4-6 reps per set, when you can do 6 up the weight 5-1lbs.

some people are saying do 10-12, still going heavy as you can but make sure you can at least do 10.

i don't care about getting big, i'm not lifting weights to be a body builder, so which would be better? right now i've been doing the 4-6 reps, as heavy as possible.

hari
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: number of reps per set.

Post by hari » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 am

i don't care about getting big, i'm not lifting weights to be a body builder, so which would be better? right now i've been doing the 4-6 reps, as heavy as possible.

If you dont care about getting big then you have been training for strengh,right?

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 am

i'm already a pretty large dude. i'd be pumped if i gained some size in my arms/shoulders but i'm really looking for to gain overall strength.

only reason i've been doing what i've been doing is because of others advice.

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:22 am

xshawnxearthx wrote: i don't care about getting big, i'm not lifting weights to be a body builder, so which would be better? right now i've been doing the 4-6 reps, as heavy as possible.
OK...if you don't want to build your body or get bigger, don't lift. You'll create lots of time for other activities, such as desk work, computer games, watching TV from the recliner, mowing the grass with your riding mower, etc.

If it's general fitness your after, scrap your current plan and go with 3 to 4 sets of 10-12 reps with little rest between sets. Do a whole-body workout three days-a-week. Also, try strip-sets, where you start with as much as you can handle for the maximum reps, and decrease the weight each set to maintain the repetitions. BTW: 4-6 reps with the heaviest weight you can handle is going to to do three things:(1) make you bigger (2) cause injuries (3) both of these
Last edited by quadfrog on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Squeeze life until it bleeds.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:22 am

The 4-6 range is better for strength. It is still beneficial to occationally do some high rep sets just to change things up.

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:32 am

By "overall strength" I think the dude meant conditioning. I't kind of like a fat chick wanting to "tone-up."

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

my number one thing is losing fat. yes i know, thats diet and cardio. my diet and cardio is on lock. i wouldn't mind adding some size to my frame, but i'm not hear to be a body builder or anything like that.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 am

quadfrog wrote: BTW: 4-6 reps with the heaviest weight you can handle is going to to do three things:(1) make you bigger (2) cause injuries (3) both of these
Completely disagree with all 3 points. Like STu said, that rep range leans more towards strength than size.

Aside from the fact, I don't care how many reps you do, your muscles will have to get bigger in order to move heavier weight. If you're moving more weight, whether it be for 1 rep or 6,000 reps your muscles will have to adapt by getting bigger. Certain rep ranges just make this happen faster than others. (6+)
If it's general fitness your after, scrap your current plan and go with 3 to 4 sets of 10-12 reps with little rest between sets.
Ramping sets of 8+ reps = hypertrophy not general fitness.

For general fitness I would lean more towards BB complexes & something like Crossfit, O-Lifts, etc.
xshawnxearthx

i wouldn't mind adding some size to my frame, but i'm not hear to be a body builder or anything like that.
BEing a bodybuilder doesn't happen by accident. It takes decades to get huge. Just eat right and bust your hump, you will be okay. You won't get bigger than you want to, because it takes a ton of food and work.

IF your not concerned with Size, lift in the 3-5 rep range, heavy, compound & often. Listen to your body when you need an off day, and eat enough.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

For a true beginner, the most important thing is to learn good form. Higher reps are good for this initial learning stage, since motor skills are learned through repetition. However, once you feel comfortable with the basic compound lifts (if you aren't already), your ideal rep range will depend on your goals. Sets of 8-12 are generally ideal for hypertrophy (mass), while lower reps are generally better for strength, and complexes are great for general conditioning.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting hurt, as long as you maintain good form. However, I wouldn't recommend going to failure all the time, reguardless of your goals or rep-range.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:39 pm

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... design_101 read this article and then come back with whatever questions you have

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:31 pm

quadfrog wrote:BTW: 4-6 reps with the heaviest weight you can handle is going to to do three things:(1) make you bigger (2) cause injuries (3) both of these
I disagree. Lifting low to mod reps of heavy weight will make him strong, which is what he wants.
quadfrog wrote:By "overall strength" I think the dude meant conditioning. I't kind of like a fat chick wanting to "tone-up."
Huh? This doesn't compute. You equate strength with toning? BB is the only legitimate use of weight training?

He's talking about strength training.

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:47 pm

I wanted to give the young man simple advice, but I guess I was leading him astray. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out what he really wants....I can't think in terms of anything but bodybuilding because that's all I've ever done since my college football days...guess I'm the original "meathead."

hari
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hari » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 am

What do you think about 3x3 focusing only strength??

3X3 for strength only
Monday: heavy day (90% of three rep max)

On monday;Barbell clean and military press

Dumbbell renegade row left and right

Barbell deadlift

Wednesday: medium day (80% of three rep max)

One-arm dumbbell clean and military press (left and right)

Weighted pull-up

Barbell deadlift

Friday: light day (70% of three rep max)

Double dumbbell clean and press

Barbell bent-over row

Barbell deadift

Rotate the exercises every week. For example in week two, the barbell clean and press is moved to the medium day and the double dumbbell clean and press is moved to the heavy day. This way every exercise gets to have a day in the spotlight. Can you do the same exercises every time? You could but doing different but similar exercises will be more effective and decrease the likelihood of overuse injuries. Why is the heavy day on Monday? Generally you will be stronger at the beginning of the week and your strength will taper off as the weeks goes on. Thus, it makes sense for the workouts to become easier as the week progresses. Take three minute breaks in between each set.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/3x3_program.htm