Lower right abdominal pain

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Beginner
Rookie
Rookie

Lower right abdominal pain

Post by Beginner » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm

In last for 4 months, I feel pain in the lower right abdominal area and sometimes in the lower right spine, while performing exercises. In the beginning it was much worse, but now i can deal with it, except during Prone Bridges, Scap push-ups and rows. I visited a surgeon, urologist, was on the ultrasound, everything is ok. I can run, jump rope, play football, basketball, i can even hardly squeeze my abs without any discomfort. Anyone have some idea, what it could be?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Beginner,
You've been to a sugeon, a urologist, and had ultrasound. Trained professionals have looked at your symptoms and run tests and could find nothing wrong with you. You want untrained people who can't see you, who, other than Doc, have no clue what they are looking at to make a diagnosis?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:53 pm

I agree with Hoose, but I do think you have caught:

wussyitius

But seriously, not trying to be a jerk, well maybe a little, but if a qualified medical professional can't find anything wrong after slues of testing, maybe your just over sensitive, and should push on.

I mean, a pump kinda "hurts" i guess. My obliques are on fire after heavy Deads, sometimes I need to sit down in order to not cry. I rather enjoy this of late though (Once I realized I wasn't hurting myself.)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Well, it's not like doctors never miss things, or that laypeople never know anything, but what Hoosegow said is basically true. If the docs didn't find anything to concern them, and the ultrasound is negative, there is not likely anything too serious. So lay off the movements that bother you for a week or two, then start them gradually. If the symptoms get worse or persist a long time, it won't hurt to check back with your doctor. Certainly if there is any major change, go back.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:20 am

You need to see a physical therapist, or even a chiropractor. I would recommend a reputable physical therapist, though. My training partner had similar symptoms. It was his QL (quadratus lumborum) that flared up. However, his problem was his spine twisted to the side. The physio seen him and had him all fixed up in about 2 months, although he couldn't lift (not completely but near enough) for the first 2weeks, but after that he could lift, and just progressed back to full training. One of his issues actually was weak abs, or as I prefer to say, "anterior core". Funnily enough that was despite doing loads of squats and DL's, but that's for another thread :wink:

So, basically, find a GOOD physical therapist. I could be getting the professions mixed up here, but seeing a surgeon/urologist is kind of like getting a plasterer in to your house to rewire the electrics - you need the right 'trade' for the problem.

Out of curiosity, has anyone that's every had the Ultra Sound therapy found that it doesn't actually do anything? I reckon it's psychological but that's just based on my own experience...

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:15 am

I don't think this was ultrasound therapy (which doesn't do a whole lot except make muscles feel warm), but was ultrasound imaging, probably to look for enlarged appendix, kidney stones or other obstruction of the urinary track, and to rule out abdominal masses. My guess.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:25 am

Well, that would make much more sense.

Yeah, the Ultra Sound Therapy isn't very good. The first couple of physiotherapists I had loved it, and used it all the time. They would say things like, "do you feel it helping".. And I would think really hard, and be like, "um... yeeah... kind of..." but I was just being polite, I never actually felt a thing. Now i'm of the opinion that when someone comes back from seeing a physio (or physical therapist) and mention the Ultra sound machine, I take it as a warning sign - "ah, one of those - ultra sound and some theraband external rotations, then send you on your way types".

The one I have now does have the ultra sound machine. When I spied it, I said, "you have one of those ultra sound thingies... Do you think they do anything", and he just said, "to be honest, no, i don't think it does anything. I've not used it in years".

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Also, the general surgeon and the urologist aren't really the "wrong trades" to evaluate right lower quadrant abdominal pain. Most of the common causes of pain in this area fall into the turf of one or the other of these. Once both of these are satisfied that there is no serious pathology, it would leave only relatively rare serious causes.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 am

I always thought those dealt with 'organ related issues', but it's not something I know a hell of a lot about, really.

As long as whoever the OP sees is knowledgable in muscle related problems, i'm happy :smile:

The pain my training partner had evolved into a constant ache. To the right of his abs, in the oblique area, or even, in between the abs and obliques, and quite near his waste line. He actually thought it was a hernia, but he's dramatic like that. Sometimes it radiated up to his ribs, and certain exercises, especially what we could call 'core intensive' exercises, would make the pain flare up into a sort of burning pain. I just assumed that it 'could' be a similar thing, because of the exercises mentioned that are making it worse, as an overactive QL is normally related in some way or another to a weakness in the abs....

KPj