idunno11
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I train my muscles slow, would they be slow, or is it BS

Post by idunno11 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:37 pm

title*

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Well, at least you won't get faster. If you want speed, train for speed.

hari
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hari » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Muscle Slow training is designed for BodyBuilding,i think this method of training is for size or hypertrophy.

And so it isnt for speed training.you will just decline your speed ability.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Match the speed of the lift to what you want to achieve.

http://www.cbass.com/Slowfast(2).htm

idunno11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by idunno11 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:21 am

No, I'm not lifting super slow at all, im lifting in a regular, moderate and stable speed, but not explosively, is that the way to go, or will it slow down my punches etc, im not a boxer (maybe I will try it sometime), but it is important for me, what do you guys say?

hari
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hari » Fri May 01, 2009 4:43 am

but not explosively, is that the way to go, or will it slow down my punches etc, im not a boxer (maybe I will try it sometime), but it is important for me, what do you guys say?

Of course i am sure that if you continue to work in this type, your Punch Power and Strenght will be Infragire.Bodybuilding styles of training do not work on improving maximal strength, speed-strength, strength-speed. These are all important components of overall strength development. So if you want to develop your Punch Power and strength,you cant do what exactly you have benn doing now.remember that power first comes from the legs, then your your abdominal which is your core shifts which power to your upper body.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 01, 2009 8:40 am

hari wrote:Infragire. Bodybuilding styles of training do not work on improving maximal strength, speed-strength, strength-speed. These are all important components of overall strength development. So if you want to develop your Punch Power and strength,you cant do what exactly you have benn doing now.remember that power first comes from the legs, then your your abdominal which is your core shifts which power to your upper body.
"Infragire" isn't a word that I know. You took the idea about the thesaurus seriously! :lol:

idunno, if you train slowly, it at least won't increase the speed of your punch. What Hari is saying about the overall power of punching is absolutely true, but training to improve speed requires training fast.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 am

Jungledoc wrote:...
"Infragire" isn't a word that I know. You took the idea about the thesaurus seriously! :lol:
Hari, I think the word you were looking for was "fragile". Adding "in" before a word usually makes it mean the opposite. "Fragile" is probably not the best word you could have used. "Weak" or "feeble" would have been better. All mean roughly the same thing (all are opposites of "strong") but the meanings are slightly different.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri May 01, 2009 12:05 pm

idunno11 wrote:No, I'm not lifting super slow at all, im lifting in a regular, moderate and stable speed, but not explosively, is that the way to go, or will it slow down my punches etc, im not a boxer (maybe I will try it sometime), but it is important for me, what do you guys say?
Strength is the foundation on which speed and power are built. Thus, initally increasing your limiit strength (1RM/your max) will increase you speed and power.

However, at some point you need to perform explosive movement to increase you speed and/or power.

Kenny Croxdale

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 pm

there are two different type of muscle fibers. slow twitch and fast twitch. Training fast will work the fast twitch fibers. training slow will train the slow twitch fibers.

For an athlete, fast twitch fibers need to be trained.

hari
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hari » Fri May 01, 2009 4:35 pm

stuward wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:...
Hari, I think the word you were looking for was "fragile". Adding "in" before a word usually makes it mean the opposite. "Fragile" is probably not the best word you could have used. "Weak" or "feeble" would have been better. All mean roughly the same thing (all are opposites of "strong") but the meanings are slightly different.
yeah,that is my word :lol:
i always want to use the word more difficut but in this case iam going to use Weak or Feeble. :green:
but my english level isnt like before,right? :eek:

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Let me make one thing clear ... bodybuilding type training will make you stronger and possibly faster. Almost any lifting program is better than none at all, but bodybuilding isn't the BEST way to build strength, speed and power. For that you'll want a program that includes both "slow lifts" like the squat and deadlift and "fast lifts" like the clean, snatch, high pull and push press. You'll also need to work on sport-specific skills. For a boxer this would mean bag work, sparring, focus mitt drills, etc.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm

yeah thats right matt. you cant just weightrain for 6 months and not run, sprint, throw, hit, punch bags, kick a soccer ball, whatever your sport is...and then after 6 months you go back to it. After 6 months of weightraining and then going back to your sport or whatever, you will find out that your performance is worse than it was and will suffer. you have to balance weightraining and sports at the same time.

example would be lift in the morning, train for sport later on..or train for sport in morning and lift later on. I am in slowpitch season now and I have noticed since working hard for 2 weeks so far of lifting (got my deadlift from 75 to 85 by the way in one week), I feel that my running speed and also hitting power has gotten better. when I was playing slowpitch games all week, the ball would come hard off the bat as a line drive to the outfield or a hard hit ground ball in the infield to someone that makes them bobble it sometimes. even if they dont bobble it, I can still beat out the throw at first base.

What I am doing is working.

idunno11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by idunno11 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:44 am

Lol, yesterday at the gym I had a little lecture that people decided I dont know nothing, eventually they got convinced I do know, but they pointed out something interesting, if I work high weights, and fast explosive reps, for my age (14.5) it would be disasterous for my elbows, knees (and other things of this kind, I dont exactly remember how to catergorize them), so in case after some time, I start lifting fast, shouldn't I increase the rep range to like 10-12, and lower the weights a little?, cause working with 6 reps fast would probably not be the best solution in terms of injury, etc.

(Btw, I do box and run, more of boxing yes, but I do other sports other then weightlifting dont worry about that, I am aware that if I wont train on boxing etc, my skill will go down in boxing, (I sensed that after a few days of not boxing).

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat May 02, 2009 9:25 am

So they told you not to lift heavy, because you would hurt yourself. What a load of crap. You're at the perfect age to start a strength program. In fact, you can find programs that were specifically designed for guys your age (Starting Strength is a good example). Just make sure you use good form, get plenty of rest and good food, and listen to your body. For exaple, if squatting hurts your knees, then you need to fix your squat. Don't just ignore the pain and work through it. Change your stance, grip, bar placement, shoes, anything until you find a combination that's comfortable for you.