lunge form - position of core relative to feet

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 pm

how come on one side when coming up from dynamic lunges or walking lunges I go off balance a little bit? a little bit happens on the other side too, but one side worse. My lunge is fine, but comming back up into standing position is where balance goes goofy.

one leg RDL same thing happens. One leg is fine, but the other leg..looks like the butt wants to go backwards towards my other butt (trying to explain the best I can whats going wrong). I should have a flat back in one leg RDL's facing the ceiling.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed May 13, 2009 7:01 pm

caangelxox wrote:how come on one side when coming up from dynamic lunges or walking lunges I go off balance a little bit? a little bit happens on the other side too, but one side worse. My lunge is fine, but comming back up into standing position is where balance goes goofy.
Happens to me sometimes. In my case, it's fatigue or I just straight up too quickly and off-balance myself. Usually I take this as a sign to not raise the weight until I get the balance.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 pm

pdellorto wrote:
caangelxox wrote:how come on one side when coming up from dynamic lunges or walking lunges I go off balance a little bit? a little bit happens on the other side too, but one side worse. My lunge is fine, but comming back up into standing position is where balance goes goofy.
Happens to me sometimes. In my case, it's fatigue or I just straight up too quickly and off-balance myself. Usually I take this as a sign to not raise the weight until I get the balance.
oh okay I'm glad I am not the only one. its because I probably straight up too correctly and don't use the right weight shift from the back heel to get back up.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu May 14, 2009 11:21 am

RDL?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 14, 2009 4:15 pm

RDL = Romanian Deadlift

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 am

Interesting, with two legs that's like the Straight-back Stiff-leg Deadlift I do... but with one leg I'm not sure. I tried it yesterday and nearly fell over on every rep, so I'm not sure what I was even working other than balance. Seems like it would mainly be glutes/hamstring?

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri May 15, 2009 11:31 am

yesterday I did lunges and I was able to balance better when focusing on getting up from my heel of the front leg and not the back leg and also not stepping out too far. My problem was taking too big of a step to begin with. I could take a smaller step and still feel it in the glutes, which is the main focus.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri May 15, 2009 2:26 pm

I meant that I was wobbling around when I tried one leg RDL yesterday. I'll try them again in 2 days - my balance is probably in general not all that good.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri May 15, 2009 5:23 pm

when I try one leg rdl's (with a light dumbbell), my weight wants to go to my toes or to the outside of my foot; therefore, I lose balance. I am trying to figure out why my weight is shifting there

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 am

Well yea that's where momentum wants to take you. That's the direction I was prone to fall as well. Probably need to start off going slower than I was...

Edit: I see those are also recommended on http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... e_exercise ...