Incline barbell bench technique question...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

js2003
Rookie
Rookie

Incline barbell bench technique question...

Post by js2003 » Sat May 13, 2006 5:24 am

When doing the incline barbell press, someone at my gym told me that I should bring the barbell to just above the nipple which is more effectiver rather than bringing straight down just below my chin which is what I had been doing in the past.

Would like some comments on this to see if this suggestion is correct?

Thanks

kevin harris
Novice
Novice

Post by kevin harris » Sat May 13, 2006 8:35 am

every bodies muscles are put on there bones a little different--should that inch may feel wonderful for them--but how does it feel for you?
the further the bar lands below your collar bone the more strain it puts on your shoulder
the issue is your upper chest if you feel it by your collar bone lower it to your collar bone same is true for the nipples:)
lower the bar were your muscles feel it

i lower it so i almost hit my chin
others do it different

js2003
Rookie
Rookie

Another question

Post by js2003 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:54 pm

My question is whether having it too close to the chin is bad for the shoulders or should I try to get it more towards the nipples?
Thanks

DubDub

Post by DubDub » Mon May 15, 2006 2:29 pm

I always try to move it in the plane containing my arms and shoulders, I think that's the best way to reduce rotational strain on the shoulders. At least, I've convinced myself of that...

MattZ

Post by MattZ » Tue May 16, 2006 12:02 pm

It depends partly on the angle on incline. At a low angle (30 degrees) you can lower the bar to mid-chest. If you try that at a high angle (60 degrees) you may end up with the bar in your lap.

Personally I prefer to lower the bar to a point just below my collarbone. I feel this focuses more on the upper pectorals and less on the front deltoids and lower pectorals, which I target with other exercises.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 16, 2006 1:42 pm

Well, I think everyone will find their own niche, depending on the reason they choose this exercise. For Bodybuilding purposes, I've found an angle of around 30 degrees, slightly flared arms and a lowered aiming(lowering) point as Matt described got my chest much better than flat benches. For carryover to overhead work, and the shot and discus, I prefer a 60 degree angle, a shoulder width grip with elbows fairly close to the body, and lowering it to around chin level. I think it really all depends on why you are doing it. Select your reasons, and modify it to meet your needs.
Tim