Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Which is better -- muscle building capability

Post by brook011 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:39 pm

I've noticed it is WAY harder for me to do this --

Say today, I did deadlifts 55-60ish% -- 205lbs x 10 - 60 secs rest, lower weight as my grip was exhausted, 10 sets, ended at 155x10 and a few of the middle sets were 7-9 reps. Anyways, I did this and proceeded to do some back builders - lat pulldowns and bent rows around the same design but instead of 10 sets, 5 sets. Would this be superior to say a pyramid workout with more rest? I'm just trying to mix up my workout and this leaves me winded faster, I can only do these style workouts for about 35 minutes versus my traditional 60-75 minute workouts.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm

What you described is similar to GVT, but that said, you have to define your use of the term "better". Better for what? It's like comparing apples to gerbils.IMHO, the volume routine with shorter rest periods would be better from an overall conditioning, strength endurance point of view, and a pyramid or multiple lower rep sets with higher percentages would be better from a max effort perspective. My advice, forget which one is "better". Mix them up, they're both good, but with different purposes in mind.
Tim

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Yah its just leaving after 35 minutes feels like I really didn't do as much, mentally, though physically im drained.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue May 19, 2009 4:30 am

I think the best thing for someone who has done the beginner programs and is progressing to a more intermediate level, is to do a couple cycles of something like MAX-OT, then do a cycle of GVT, Then after a couple weeks recovery move on to higher frequency, low rep heavy program. It's halfway between the other 2 programs on volume and intensity, but the heavy weights a medium-high level of volume will give you a nice mix of size and strength. Then you might go almost to failure but cut the volume a little so while you have longer rest periods your workouts are the same length. Like an intermediate to advanced 5x5 type thing. One where the reps loading and volume vary, something that isn't a simple linear progression. Then after a week off you go back to MAX-OT again.

Putting a group of programs like that together in a pattern is way to continue to progress. You can get big fast like that. It will probably take a year and half to do all that, but at the end you will look very different and you will be considerably stronger.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm sitting at around 225lbs, I'd like to get to 215 lean and I was thinking that the GVT style might work better for this. Last time I cut, I significantly lost some strength doing it so I've shyed away from it lately, though I'm getting better at it I think. It's weird to be cutting and still take in 3000 calories, it feels like too much, and since everything I eat is fats and protein with some sort of vegetable, I'm always full, so I have to force myself to eat.

I was on the Optimized Volume Training program for about 5 months, that REALLY pushed my strength up, I didn't realize it til I tried to go for a max bench and hit 265 that I had gotten stronger.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed May 20, 2009 5:17 am

GVT is good for cutting. You will loose strength, but when you are done, it comes back quickly.

tmaximus89
n00b
n00b

Post by tmaximus89 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:06 pm

I agree with you ironman. GVT is good.