6 Weeks back in - looking for a good weekly schedule

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

6 Weeks back in - looking for a good weekly schedule

Post by Haffy13 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi everyone, just registered, been a fan of the site since I first started lifted a few years back, but I got lazy, but am 6 weeks back in the game. This is the only site I've come across who's information about lifting I actually take seriously (due to citing its sources and actually having the right sources).

Anyways, I just finished reading through all the info, and was looking at the templates, but I'm a bit lost, I've read a few things that seem to be contradictory, and I'm wondering if you could help me get a routine. I usually make my own, doing lifting 1 or 2 muscles/areas a day, once a week, however, my reading has informed me this isn't ideal for gains.

However, I read on the information off the main site hear it is ideal for someone who has been lifting for less than a year consistently to train each muscle group 3 times a week at 60% of 1RM, while it is ideal for an intermediate to do each group 2 times a week at 80% 1RM. There is also some conflicting info, so should I be doing each muscle group 2 or three times a week at my current level? What is the amount of time it takes for a muscle to recover? I am able to spend as much time per week lifting as is best, and is somethinking i really like doing, so there are no time constratints.

I was thinking of a light/heavy routine as shown here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowV ... ining.html

The only thing is that I need the specific exercises to do each day with the number of sets, and amount of rest between sets. I see how you can put them together youself with the templates, but I'd feel more comfortable with an existing routine, and then making my alterations if necessary. Just so that I am doing everything for ideal gains and efficiently.

Thank you

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sat May 23, 2009 2:05 pm

1) What are your goals specifically?

2) Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. You'll never be able to out-train your nutrition.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Oh, should have been a bit more clear. Looking for maximal muscle gain, not for any particular sport (although now that I think of it, I may start rugby up in the fall). No specific strength, size, power or endurance goals, although size/strength are the most important to me.

As far as nutrition, I've never had better nutrition in my life. Generally, I have a boal of OATZ for breakfast with raisins and a vanilla multi protein/vitamin powder in it. For lunch I have a peanut butter and tuna sadnwich on whole grain with some carrots. Before I lift, I have some pure creatine monohydrate powder and while lifting I drink accelerade. After lifting (or on offdays) I make a smoothie with 1 banana, 2 strawberries, a slice of pineapple, yogurt, some OJ and whey protein powder with BCAAs and glutamine/ate and a creatine/dextrose powder. Then I'll eat 1 bag od steamed broccoli with parmesean over it and a fillet of salmon or tillapia. Before bed I'll either have another sandwhich or a Fish TV dinner with milk. I also drink tons of water all day.

So, I'm good on nutrition, just need an optimized routine for muscle mass gains.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sat May 23, 2009 2:50 pm

For pure mass, your going to want to probably double what your eating, and add in some "cheat" foods. Wendy's & Icecream are great for this. Shots of olive oil, while rough, and produce some nasty burps, work well too. But wow just reading about that broccoli w/ cheese is making me drool.

No one ever gained a substantial amount of muscle in less than 10 years without gaining some fat too. Just forget your body has Abs, and that it is possible to have them visible and eat like a moose.

It is easy to lose fat, hard to gain muscle, worry about the hard stuff first.

For pure hypertrophy routine, I would do a push/pull/legs for awhile until your back into it, then, and people are going to disagree with me here, but move to a 4 or 5 day split. Just don't overlap movements (don't do shoulders & chest in consecutive days, don't push two days in a row, don't pull two days in a row). 3-4 exercises per muscle, 3-4 sets per exercise, and keep getting stronger in the 6+ rep range.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Damn, post didn't go through because it logged me out... so, let me summarize. I am trying to lose some fat as well. So far, I have gained about 15 lbs of muscle and lost 10 lbs of fat.

Here's what I'd really like fellas, if someone could link me to or provide an exercise routine designed for maximal gains. From my reading on this site (not the forums), it seems like a light/heavy 4 day a week routine like the example here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowV ... ining.html . Except, I'd like to have the specific lifts, number of sets per lift, order of lifts, and rest between each list listed out so I can go from there. Picture one of the sites templates filled in.

One more thing I'd like to know, I read on this site that exercising each muscle group 3 times a week is optimal instead of 2 times a week for someone who has not been lifting consistently for one year. However, under the templates, it is not recommended to lift each muscle group 3 times a week ofr an extended period as it would lead to overtraining. So which is it? I'm guessing twice a week.

Thanks again, and please let this post go through /grumble

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat May 23, 2009 11:53 pm

I would strongly recommend some sort of 5x5 program since you are thinking about taking up rugby. There are some in the stickies. Something like a 3 day routine, with bench, power clean, squat one day and incline bench, chins and deadlift on another. Then a third day where you do 2 sets of everything, but maybe you use dumbbells and do rows instead of cleans and do romanian deadlift and front squats for lower body.

Then maybe throw in some isolation here and there. Like do some calf work on day 1 and 3. Then on day 2 maybe do a couple sets of some arm exercises.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Bah, shouldn't have mentioned rugby. The other thing I don't get about 5x5 is I read on this site that 5 sets is definently more than optimal (think low volume training). Is it more for endurance? How many times is optimal to do lifts for a particular muscle per week? Will I ever get the answers I want? (not that I don't appreciate the responses :smile: ). Need to know by tommorow, otherwise I'm going to have to throw something together myself. Are there really no links to complete templates on this site? Seems a bit odd that there wouldn't be, but I suppose I couldn't find any.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Ah yes, although I have a lot of experience lifting, I've mostly taught myself. So, I'm not actually comfortable doing cleans. I'd need someone to show me in person, and I've never seen anyone doing them at Lifetime, although I could always go to my school's gym, since it's fairly common there. Deadlifts, which I'd really love to do and have tried, but didn't feel right, is the same story. Stiff-leg deadlifts are apart of my routine, but normal deadlifts have eluded me.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 24, 2009 2:35 pm

5X5 covers many variables. Stu did such a goodjob covering it, it's in the good enough to keep forum, under topic 5X5. see
http://www.exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5803
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun May 24, 2009 10:47 pm

No, nobody here will just tell you what you want to hear. If you already know what you want to do, just do it.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon May 25, 2009 3:45 am

There is no one optimal routine. It's different for everyone, and different from time to time.

And don't think about working a particular muscle. Think in terms of movement patterns. There are hundreds of muscles in the body, but only a few movements. It makes the whole thing a lot more manageable.

In general, you don't want to work a particular muscle group heavily more than every 48 to 72 hours, if that gives you a rough answer to the question you are asking. That means that you can probably get away with a split routine lifting 4 days per week, or whole-body routines 3 times per week. The heavier you are lifting, the more recovery you need. Diet, sleep, age and individual characteristics also affect your ability to recovery.

I don't think it says that low volume training is "optimal". It is "adequate" for a beginning lifter--adding additional volume provides diminishing added benefit, but does add some. Depending on one's particular goals at a given time, more volume can be invaluable.

You should really learn to dead lift. It's the most fun you can have with a piece of iron in your hands.