deadlifting re: hand strength

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

xshawnxearthx

deadlifting re: hand strength

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 pm

so i've been dead lifting again for the past two months. right now i'm at a mere 275lbs and i feel like my grip strength is holding me back. like my body tells me i could do more, no problem, but i'm struggling with grip.

when i lift the bar, i feel like my hands are no longer wrapped around the bar and the barbell is wresting on my fingers. is there an exercise i can do for grip strength, or would wrist straps be the key to helping me out?
Last edited by xshawnxearthx on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 pm

There is a great grip exercise that I think everyone should do--deadlift! Seriously!

However, if low grip strength is holding you back, there are 2 things you can do so that you can lift heavier on the DL. One is "mixed grip", or holding the bar with one hand supinated and the other pronated. The tendency of the bar to roll out of one hand balances the tendency to roll out of the other hand the opposite direction. Most people vary which hand is supinated from set to set.

The second is the hook grip. To do this, you wrap your thumb around the bar, and then wrap your index and middle fingers over it. This felt a little uncomfortable to me at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and it's all I do any more.

You can do "grip pulls", like a very very limited ROM rack pull. Start with the bar on a rack, just below the level of your hands. Then just "dead lift" it just out of the rack and hold it as long as you can. When you work up to some goal (30 seconds?) then increase the weight. Don't use a mixed grip or hook grip when you do that, because you are trying to challenge the grip.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 am

I used to have this problem but it only limits you for so long until you adapt to the heavier weight and then can increase weight again. I normally do the first set with a pronated grip and sets two and three with a mixed grip. I find I can lift a lot more with a mixed grip, it feels more locked in position.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat May 30, 2009 12:22 pm

When all that fails, just use straps. For deadlift and shrugs you are usually going to be able to handle more weight than you can grip. Your grip will keep going up too, but not as fast.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat May 30, 2009 1:28 pm

i'm going to try the mixed grip and see how comfortable it is, then go from there.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sat May 30, 2009 3:35 pm

I assume you already use chalk?

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat May 30, 2009 4:04 pm

no, they don't have chalk in my gym.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sat May 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Try to sneak some in! Most people have a big hate on for gloves, but if you have to, use them - get ones with a good no-slip palm. They worked for me when I could use chalk.

The mixed grip works for me. I use a pronated grip until my final sets and then used the mixed grip. Your pronated grip will keep pretty good pace. My experience was that each session I could do my previous "mixed only" set with a pronated grip, and I need to use a mixed grip to break the new weight off the floor.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Buy your own chalk. You can get two bricks at Academy for around $7.00. Put it in a plastic container and you're set. If they flat out don't allow chalk, go with gloves.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat May 30, 2009 5:45 pm

i'm not anti gloves, i just feel like i need the bar next to my skin. like a glove would be too thick for me to comfortably grip the barbell. my grip only gets poor towards the end of my 2nd work set(like rep 6/7) and then mid way through on my final set.

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 pm

A friend of mine uses golf gloves for deadlifts, they're thin and don't last overly long (1 to 2 years), but cause they're thin you keep the feel! I myself use chalk cause I have a home gym in a garage, can't get any dirtier than it already is! lol Also I haven't gone to a mmixed grip yet, but I used to when I could lift heavier and it work to stop the bar "rolling"!

John

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat May 30, 2009 9:01 pm

i just can't see how chalk is going to improve my grip strength. it's not that the bar slips(my hands are rough enough to keep it in place), my hands are just too weak.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't see what is wrong with gloves, they just protect your hands.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 31, 2009 12:01 am

xshawnxearthx wrote:i just can't see how chalk is going to improve my grip strength. it's not that the bar slips(my hands are rough enough to keep it in place), my hands are just too weak.
Chalk just allows you to hold more weight, which is what improves your grip strength.

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Sun May 31, 2009 1:46 am

Jungledoc wrote:
xshawnxearthx wrote:i just can't see how chalk is going to improve my grip strength. it's not that the bar slips(my hands are rough enough to keep it in place), my hands are just too weak.
Chalk just allows you to hold more weight, which is what improves your grip strength.
Even with rough hands the tiniest bit of sweat will reduce the friction between the bar and your hand. The chalk helps absorb the sweat as well as increase over all friction which in turn helps distribute the force across your hand better and give you a better grip.

Chalk also has an amazing placebo effect. I always think I can grip anything better when I have my hands chalked up.