Great Results w/ Flat Bench Press Routine

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great Results w/ Flat Bench Press Routine

Post by Halfbreed » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Ok, so I knew this old man who claimed to have started the first high-school aged competitive weight lifting team in the state of California. He is an awesome old guy, and one person that I will remember forever. He told me before I left the facility I was in to try this routine to get my strength up in bench press, and I have been doing it for 6 weeks now, with great results. The weights are the weights that I am doing, but one can adjust them accordingly, just do the rep ranges and sets.

12 @ 245

[email protected] 255

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected] 365

1 until failure, moving up 10 lbs as above. Once failure is reached:

32 @ 205 .... yes, thirty-two at 205.....this is what he calls the "NFL"

I did this for six weeks, and at first by the time I got to 335 I was burnt, and I couldn't get the 365. (Although 365 is normally a given on any other day.) but each week I got stronger, now I can continue to 385 before failure and my max went up from 425 to 445. I am moving the weights up by ten lbs. each, starting at 255 this Wednesday. (I do this twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday as my bench was my weak point and I wanted to get it up.)

He also said that if you end up getting stuck on one weight, try rolling up a towel and putting it on your chest, doing the weight with that on there. This will a.) get your body used to the weight with a shorter range of motion and b.) get your confidence up, so when you pull the towel you will already "know" you can do it.

Let me know what you think about it, and if anyone tries it, let me know how it worked out for you!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 am

Dammit Halfbreed, that looks like it sucks and I am going to have to give it a whirl.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes, sir. Make sure you have a spotter though, because weight that you are going to need to force you would have normally been able to do. THe first few sets you're thinking, "this ain't so bad," but by the time you get to your second set of 8, it's more like ":eek: $h*t! THIS GOT HEAVY!"

Keep me updated on how it works out for you, my partners were almost dying the first few days, and while it still hurts them, they have moved up consistently every week. Both of them are seasoned lifters, one is 41, and the other is 43.....both C.O.s in my facility. I'm interested to see how it works for you.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Halfbreed: How did you decide your loading when you were starting this?

verticaljumpman
n00b
n00b

Post by verticaljumpman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Nice work man. I'll have to give this a try.

-Pat

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Halfbreed: How did you decide your loading when you were starting this?
As someone who can't even do [email protected] I sum up my thoughts and questions to: what jungledoc asked.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:16 pm

verticaljumpman wrote:Nice work man. I'll have to give this a try.

-Pat
http://www.verticaljumpresource.com
Dude, I think you might get pwned with that link as a sig...

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 am

Jungledoc Posted: Halfbreed: How did you decide your loading when you were starting this?
I've been lifting for a while, and I didn't use any formula like 70% of my 1RM or anything, I just knew that I could do 225 for sets of around 20, that moving up like this would be killer, and so I should start my 12 rep at a good solid number that was fairly easy for me. The start number was just something I played with and it was pretty close to what I needed, so I stuck with it and although, like I said I couldn't do the 365 when I got to my one rep, (in fact, I had trouble with 295, for the set of 8 my first go-round) I can now go through the whole program and even manage to get a couple of extra 1-rep sets before failure. I just pushed it hard, and every week I came out stronger. This week I am going to try bumping everything up 10 lbs, starting at 255 instead of 245 and ending at 375. The actual progression I just learned from the old man, he told me exactly what to do, and I just chose a beginning number. A lot of my lifting knowledge and experience comes this way....learning from experienced people and then through trial and error learning what works and doesn't, at least for me.
[/url]

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:24 am

Just wanted to add....I wish I had a more concrete method for choosing the beginning weight for you, but if it helps, I meant that I started 245, not 225..... my max was 425, now 445....so start appx. 55-60% of your 1RM max for the first set of 12, and then bump ten lbs after that for each set. That should work great.