Plateau on squats.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plateau on squats.

Post by Halfbreed » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Ok. So here's the deal. I moved up extremely rapidly this past nine months in my squat strength, and am currently sitting (no pun intended) on a one-rep, 725 squat. However, I am stuck here.

I considered just working out a little lighter, maybe 635, and repping it out for sets of ten, trying to push it up or maybe even trying something similar to the bench press routine I wrote about earlier, but I'm not sure. I hate to move down weight and rep it out because that always seems counterproductive for me....like my body is no longer used to the heavy weight and doesn't want to go heavy anymore when I try bumping back up.

I've been making sure to get at least close to 90 every time, but if I try moving up a little heavier, like 745 or 750, when I come down I'm fine, but on the way back up my back always wants to fold forward.

Maybe start working on Deadlifts a little harder after my squats to work out my middle and lower back while hitting legs?

I don't know...any ideas would be helpful, espescially if there is experience or hard-earned knowledge to back up the ideas.

Thanks!

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Plateau on squats.

Post by jps » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Halfbreed wrote: and am currently sitting (no pun intended) on a one-rep, 725 squat.
:eek:

Wow....just wow!

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 pm

i will see that wow and raise you a holy $h1t!

Here's an (old) article i saw frm westside barbell, seems like an interesting concept, it does have you lowering the weights slightly but maybe worth a read?

http://westside-barbell.com/westside-ar ... _2007_.pdf

I only hope for the day i have the same problem as you, but for now i have to try and break 300, small steps i suppose!!!

Jungledoc

Re: Plateau on squats.

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Halfbreed wrote:...and am currently sitting (no pun intended) on a one-rep, 725 squat. However, I am stuck here.
Well, I'm equally impressed. As a person who cannot even dream of lifting in this range, I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak up, but that never stopped me before!

Here's the deal--the higher you get any lift, the closer to your unknowable genetic maximum, the slower gains will be bound to be. Look at how long it took Andy What-his-name to increase his world-record DL from like 1005 to 1010 (rough recollection may might not be exactly right); about 2 years!

On the other hand, why shouldn't you lift some days at lower weights and higher volume? You don't have to do that every day. Most lifters who are near their ceiling have to periodize in some way. Doing a heavy day, medium day, light day on rotating workout days is one way. Lifting high volume for a week or two, then low volume/high weight for a couple of weeks is another. Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 system looks real attractive to me, and might be just what you need.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:16 am

I feel somewhat wrong attempting to give someone with a 725 squat advice.

I would recommend you get on Westside Barbells site and read the articles on squats, box squats, etc - Everything, really.

YOu also have elitefts.com, owned by Dave Tate, who trained a Westside for years. His site has loads of info. There's also a Q and A where you can ask guys at your level for advice.

I think if you've never done an approach like Westsides then you would benefit from it - lot's of speed work, rotating the main lifts, their 'special exercises' (assistance stuff). Could be worth a shot.

KPj

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:33 am

Great, thanks! I actually have a picture of me doing 705 on my computer (I was using it to make sure that I was hitting 90 degrees, as it was hard to tell with no mirrors in my weight room) and I wish I could post it, but I don't know how.

I'll try looking up those articles, and I was actually reading in the Arnold Encyclopedia things that Tom Platz used to do....like hitting sets of 35, then 25, then 15, and so on at 315. I've made it a habit to pyramid up, and once I hit my one rep I superset it by dropping the weight down to 315 and hitting a set of 30, so maybe I could play around with something like this....

What about my back folding up like this on the way up?...maybe a result of the bar bending and flexing? Deadlifts maybe help?

I look at guys like Franco Columbu who had virtually no body fat and were deadlifting numbers like 730 with NO BELT....jeeeeeez.....numbers like 1005 and 1010 seem absolutely ridiculous.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Me advising you on squats would be like me advising Fedor Emelianenko on MMA.

All I can say is - you're strong enough that the people who can help you are going to be at places like Westside, answer questions on EliteFTS, or run powerlifting gyms. Heck, just send them emails...I'm sure most of them would be happy to help a seriously strong lifter get stronger.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:30 pm

I may have to try and contact them...I briefly looked at their website but I didn't see a fourm or a way to contact anyone in particular....Any ideas as to who and how I should be making contact?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Try Q&A on EliteFTS here:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?a=ask

And I found the Westside BB phone number and a training email address here:
http://www.westside-barbell.com/contact/

You're down in Texas, right? You can just call Witchita Falls Athletic Club and talk to Mark Rippetoe. He'd probably know someone in TX, maybe, even if you're not close enough to drop by there.
http://www.wfac-gym.com/

Just some suggestions. I wouldn't be shy...I'm training at DeFranco's because I just sent them an email and said something like "I'm an amateur MMA fighter who needs to get stronger. Can I come by?" I was unsure they'd take someone my age and level, but turns out my concern was totally unfounded.

I hope this helps.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Oh wait, you're in OR, not TX. Anyway, you can still call and ask. "I squat 735 and I need help" is a hell of an intro on the phone, eh?

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes, sir, and thank you. But as I've mentioned earlier....right now I am alsocurrently incarcerated, so the only gym I will be training at, at least for the rest of this year, will be here. I actually get out pretty soon, and I am planning on attending graduate school in Texas, so I may have to hold on to that information. thanks.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:11 pm

That's true, but they may be happy to help you remotely. I'd give it a go and call/email/submitt qa to them.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:03 am

I would say just give a shot, too. The Q and A seems to get reasonably quick responses - I read through them quite a lot. Some of the recommendations may not make much sense if you're not familiar with westside style methods, like speed work (which they call Dynamic Effort or DE). They love their bands and chains aswell but I guess you'll need to wait before you can experiment with them.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:17 am

pdellorto wrote:Oh wait, you're in OR, not TX. Anyway, you can still call and ask. "I squat 735 and I need help" is a hell of an intro on the phone, eh?
Say, "I ONLY squat 735 and I need help." :lol:

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Where in Texas are you going to be Halfbreed?