Plateau on squats.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Hoosegow-

Assuming I get accepted (I should with a 3.87 GPA...was 4.0 but my Second Semester Spanish Professor gave me a B last term with an 89.93% in his class) I'm looking at goint to UT Austin. I'm also, however looking at Stanford. Aside from being great schools, both of them, I like their Joint Degree Programs, and I will be looking to earn my Ph.D. in Philosophy concurrently with my J.D. (Juris Doctorates.)

But yeah, Hoose, Austin.
Jungledoc Posted: Say, "I ONLY squat 735 and I need help."

:wink: not bad, lol.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:42 pm

Well, if you come to Austin, though I can't say I approve of anyone becoming a t-sip, I'll meet up with you and you can help my pathetic squats (735 like you need help). I'm just down the road about 45 minutes.

Anyway, for what it is worth, one of the best plateau busters I've used in the past is a 100+ rep squat workout. I only do it for 4-6 weeks. I'm not near your caliber and I'd hazard to guess that my legal max is somewhere between 500 and 550 (for a reference for rep percentage).

Back squats
1 X 8 135
1 X 8 225
1 X 6 315
Then a set/rep scheme to get you 21-25 reps - eg. 5X5 425, 8X3 455
Front or Zercher squats
3 X 7 245
Box squats
3 X 8 295
Back squats
1 X 20 225 (or however many I can grind out

I'm absolutely exhausted at the end of the session and my body is killed by the end of the 4-6 weeks. I lay off of legs for a week and come back stronger. I don't do it much, maybe twice a year, but it is my plateau buster.

A buddy of mine and I started a rep contest one time. We kept one upping each other. I hold the record at 120 when he called me and told me that we need to end the one-up-manship

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:15 pm

Now I know why I keep thinking you're in Texas. We've got a guy in Texas called Hoosegow and a guy in the hoosegow in Oregon, both of whom lift way more than me.
:grin:

With that level of strength, you might look into some kind of percentage-based lifting system. I'm a recent and big fan of Wendler's 5/3/1 system, but there are others as well. I just think you need to talk to a really good coach who'll take the time to sit down and run your numbers and workout and see where you can go. That is a hell of a squat! Just use Jungledoc's awesome line, be friendly and respectful, and you'll surely get the information you need.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks to both of you...When/if I do get down to Texas, Hoose, I will take you up on that offer, I'm assuming that since you have been on this site for years, (as I remember you from when I first came on for an assignment in my HPE class), you will be here a year from now, also....this is how I will re-establish the communication.

Also, that program sounds KILLER....I actually got some advice from a professional last Friday who came in as a guest. He said try repping out 5 sets of 20 at 495, and when that becomes too easy, simply bump up the weight.....I actually started a Tom Platz program Saturady, and my legs are on fire.....it Involves repping out sets of 35 @ 315, keeping the weight there and slowly moving down reps (35, 25, 20, 20, 20).....by my third set my legs were jerking on the way down, but surprisingly that went away at sets 4-5 and my legs felt great....I'm thinking about trying the same program but bumping back up to around 405....if that turns out easy, maybe 455....I'll try this for 6 weeks and see what it's done. I'm also doing tons and tons of deads lately, and this should help as well....I'm going to start doing some more power cleans here soon.....we can't do the press as well, because we have a low ceiling and I would either dislocate my shoulders or push through the ceiling. I'm able to do dumbell snatches, but we dont have enough weight to really make it worth while with a rack that ends at 85s....

Anyway, thanks again for the advice, and I am going to keep that program in mind Hoosegow and see how it works out. I get 2 hrs. on Fridays and Saturdays to lift in one session, so I will try it once I get through this Tom Platz thing.

aman
Novice
Novice

Post by aman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:50 am

You try visit:

www.drsquat.com/forum