My current Program. Any Suggestions / Comments?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Badman
n00b
n00b

My current Program. Any Suggestions / Comments?

Post by Badman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 am

Ok so I consider myself a Hard Gainer, but after 2.5 years of Gym Work i think i have put on a bit of muscle. Been out of the game for 9 months now and just getting back into it so some advice would be welcomed. I am currently 6'1" and 77 Kg's

I do a split with Monday and Thursday:
Squat
Bench
Calf m/c
Press
Skull Crushers

And Tuesday and Friday:
Abs
Pull / Chin / Pull-ups
Stiff leg dead lift
Concentration Curls
Quad m/c
Delt Flys

All 3 sets of 6 - 12 reps. First set up to 12 and as many as i can in each following set, except for the Pull-ups. I do a set of Pull ups then Chin ups and finally another set of Pull-ups.

My goal would be looking good naked I suppose (or on the beach), not a body builder and not an olympic lifter.

My main concerns would be that my split is correctly organised and that i am not doing too many similar excersises (skull crushers with bench and presses etc).

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Badman on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:12 am

Ok so I consider myself a Hard Gainer, but after 2.5 years of Gym Work i think i have put on a bit of muscle. Been out of the game for 9 months now and just getting back into it so some advice would be welcomed. I am currently 6'1" and 77 Kg's
Your not eating enough, flat out, not even close to enough. You are very skinny, you can afford to eat like a bull moose. You should. (Assuming your numbers are correct.)

No such thing as a hardgainer, just an underweater. Nothing wrong with that, just can't make progress unless you eat.
My main concerns would be that my split is correctly organised and that i am not doing to many similar excersises (skull crushers with bench and presses etc).
I respond well to hitting muscle groups with 2 or 3 lifts per session, it is an individual thing. But your split is meaningless without proper fuel to allow adaptation.

Add in some rows on your back day. Otherwise I don't see too many glaring issues.

What kind of weights are you hitting on your big lifts?

Why no conventional Deads?
My goal would be looking good naked I suppose (or on the beach), not a body builder and not an olympic lifter.
That takes years and years of strict dedication and effort. I wouldn't worry about accidentally looking like a bodybuilder. :lol:

Badman
n00b
n00b

Post by Badman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 am

Eat more, Ill try. Was using progain for a year and didn't notice any particular weight increase though. I used progain due to the high carbs it has so thought better for putting on weight. Those shakes are expensive tho, guess ill try find cheaper ones online.

I do stiff legs instead of conventional dead lifts to avoid overworking my legs after the squats. I am probably over thinking this though and will try swapping to conventional.

As for numbers on my big lifts, give me a couple of weeks before i commit them to cyberspace. I have just started back and never did much leg work before so i am starting light on the squats and building up. I press two 12.5kg dumbells (Rippetoe tells me a barbell is better, is he correct?) and bench 30kg's at the moment.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Badman wrote:Eat more, Ill try. Was using progain for a year and didn't notice any particular weight increase though. I used progain due to the high carbs it has so thought better for putting on weight. Those shakes are expensive tho, guess ill try find cheaper ones online.
I get 4 lbs for 45 dollars. and that lasts about 2-3 weeks maybe... But then again I use a lot.

Try and eat more solid foods too.
I do stiff legs instead of conventional dead lifts to avoid overworking my legs after the squats. I am probably over thinking this though and will try swapping to conventional.
You can do whatever kind of DL your comfortable with and you make progress. I was just curious of why you prefer one to the other. But once you get to heavier weights, you're probably going to have to space out your squats and deads a bit more.
As for numbers on my big lifts, give me a couple of weeks before i commit them to cyberspace. I have just started back and never did much leg work before so i am starting light on the squats and building up. I press two 12.5kg dumbells (Rippetoe tells me a barbell is better, is he correct?) and bench 30kg's at the moment.
Your numbers are fine, again I was just curious to see where your at.

And people are going to lynch me for saying this but, Rippetoe isn't the be all and end all of lifting. If you can make better progress with dumbells, use dumbells. I prefer DB's for most movements I can. I feel safer & my form is much better. Plus I get a much better mind-muslce connection from DB's due to the ablitiy to change my angles for comfort.

Again, it's all about progress. So do what you have to in order to make it.[/quote]

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Badman wrote:Eat more, Ill try. Was using progain for a year and didn't notice any particular weight increase though. I used progain due to the high carbs it has so thought better for putting on weight. Those shakes are expensive tho, guess ill try find cheaper ones online.

that's what stick out to me. besides eating, you need to do the big dogs. squats and deadlifts. and you won't overwork your legs doing them in the same work out. my gym partner does them together and has no problem. i do them on different days so i can squat more, and deadlift more.

Han

Post by Han » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:14 pm

On the DB vs. BB thing ... I also started with DBs, and I am a small guy so started very light. But I found that sometimes the 2.5 kg increment per DB (5kg combined) was too much of a jump.

With the BB you can go up in 2.5 kg increments between both arms. I found I made far quicker gains by increasing by 2.5 kgs every week or so, that trying to jump 5 kgs on the DBs and not getting enough reps out.

Just my 2c.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Han wrote:On the DB vs. BB thing ... I also started with DBs, and I am a small guy so started very light. But I found that sometimes the 2.5 kg increment per DB (5kg combined) was too much of a jump.

With the BB you can go up in 2.5 kg increments between both arms. I found I made far quicker gains by increasing by 2.5 kgs every week or so, that trying to jump 5 kgs on the DBs and not getting enough reps out.

Just my 2c.
I think that's pretty much Mark Rippetoe's argument...you can use DBs but it's harder to make fine-grained jumps with a pair of DBs than with a barbell.

Both dumbbells and barbells have advantages and disadvantages. I certainly use both. I just wouldn't latch onto a barbell-based routine and swap in DBs because they are "better" or vice-versa. If you've got access to both, learn to use them both.

Han

Post by Han » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Agreed. I mostly use DBs for my metabolic work, where I'm not so worried about making strength gains, and am doing higher reps.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:05 pm

You could also go to a gym that has the brains to get 2.5 lb increment dumbbells since what matters is the % increase so clearly for lower weights, going from 15 to 20 is 33% increase while going from 80 to 85 is ~6%.

We have 2.5 lb increases up to 50 lb. I think. It is really nice and equals the 2.5 lb plates they have for barbell lifts.

He is not that skinny... his BMI is 22.5, which as it happens, is the same as Kevin Garnett. 6'11" 220ish. Admittedly he is not typical but nonetheless a pro basketball player and in good condition.

I am not going to argue about hardgainers existing or not but some people think it is harder for skinny people to gain weight than fat people to lose weight, which as a lifelong "overweight" kinda guy, I find amazing but I could believe it, knowing some of my friends literally dislike eating.

Badman
n00b
n00b

Post by Badman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:32 am

First of all id like to thank everyone for there input, I already have some updates:

First of all it turns out that an olympic bar weighs 20kg's, im sure you already knew this, but that puts my bench up to 50kg's without even doing a set. Also helps my pride a bit.

Got some tips on the deadlift last night too, so will be doing that instead of the stiff leg variety, for a while anyway.

As for the Hardgaining - I really like eating, I have always eaten a LOT. I used to live with a friend of mine in New Zealand, he was always the fat kid at school (i know kids can be cruel). Anyway he plays hooker in rugby (i know some of the Americans here may not be too familiar, just trust me they are some of the biggest on the field). The two of us ate exactly the same and he was doing rugby training, i was only cycling to work and a bit of soccer. I still wasn't putting on weight.

So now to a question:
Han talks about making an increase in my press of 2.5kg weekly. I am struggling with 3 X 8 at 12.5kg. If i go to 15 this week id be lucky to get 3 and no way id do 1 at 17.5. I suppose the question is: am i wrong? Should i be increasing this much so quickly?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 am

A 2.5Kg increase on a 12.5KG lift is a 20% increase. Normally about 5% is a reasonable increase so this is a lot. There are 2 ways to get around it. The first is to try to get your reps up to about 12 on the 12.5 and then do as many as possible at 15KG. Hopefully that will be about 5 reps or so. The other way is to get small weights so you can make smaller jumps. Platemates is one brand. I made some loops of chain that did the same thing.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:04 am

Badman--are you counting the bar weight on your press? I see that you didn't do that at first with bench, and a 12.5kg press is fairly light, so I was wondering. Maybe you're stronger than you think!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Badman wrote:As for the Hardgaining - I really like eating, I have always eaten a LOT. I used to live with a friend of mine in New Zealand, he was always the fat kid at school (i know kids can be cruel). Anyway he plays hooker in rugby (i know some of the Americans here may not be too familiar, just trust me they are some of the biggest on the field). The two of us ate exactly the same and he was doing rugby training, i was only cycling to work and a bit of soccer. I still wasn't putting on weight.
How old are you? Many young peoiple have fast metabolisms that make weight gains difficult until they are past their 20s. If that describes you, take a look at some of the weight gain powder mixes at your local supplement store. They can add 500-800 calories a day to your caloric intake, which theoretically adds up to a pound a week.

Han

Post by Han » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Badman, what I was actually talking about was going up by 2.5 kgs when doing a barbell bench. So the 2.5 kgs is split between both arms.

I agree, going up by 2.5 kgs for each arm, if you're starting at 12.5 kgs, is a big ask.

I would have thought if you'd been out of lifting for 9 months, 2.5 kgs a week on a bar wouldn't have been out of the question.

And yeah, I'm with Jungledoc, it sounds a bit strange that you're 77 kgs and 12.5 kgs is your DB bench. I started lifting at 66 kgs at 15 kg DB bench, and was at 20 within a couple of months.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Han wrote:
And yeah, I'm with Jungledoc, it sounds a bit strange that you're 77 kgs and 12.5 kgs is your DB bench. I started lifting at 66 kgs at 15 kg DB bench, and was at 20 within a couple of months.
Everyone starts somewhere. It's not strange in my mind at all.

I'm a really weak presser, and progress very slow with it, but I can pull like no one's business (knock wood) compared.

And don't forget he is 6 foot and an inch, which is pretty tall for as thin as he is. :lol:

So he has two challenges to over come. The tall man's pressing curse, and the metabolism of a hummingbird on meth.