23%
Hitting all three cylinders
5%

Total votes: 22

nygmen

What is missing from your training?

Post by nygmen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 pm

So guys, self evaluation time.

Spill your guts, we are all human, and can only learn from each others weaknesses...

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Even though my sleep stinks right now, my overall rest isn't too bad, and will be normal in 10 days or less.

My lifting is okay. I can't complain. Leg is about 90%, and Trap is about 80% and getting better each day.

It is my diet... It is trash. I'm getting in enough to gain, but I have no idea where maintenance is, I don't eat enough veggies and my sugar intake is too high.

My fat gain was about to get out of hand, and I'm fixing it. But in a few weeks I'm going to have to figure out a better approach. (If I was 30lbs heavier, and had a bigger chest, I would have let my gut get bigger...)

(Can't believe I just said this out loud. You guys better own up too.)

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jtw » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm

i can't vote for any of the 3, since currently they're all there.

i suppose i could count it as eating, but the only thing in the way is partying/drinking on the weekends! Alcohol adds a lot of interference calories.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 pm

jtw wrote:i can't vote for any of the 3, since currently they're all there.

i suppose i could count it as eating, but the only thing in the way is partying/drinking on the weekends! Alcohol adds a lot of interference calories.
I just tried to add "hanging my head in shame" as an option but it wouldn't let me.

:lol:

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 am

I chose sleep, but if I could of picked 2, I would of picked eating, too. Been very busy recently and fell off the Precision Nutrition bandwagon. Recently, though, I moved into a new house and, straight after that started doing a weekend course - Sat, Sun, 9 till half 5. I couldn't get any days off work, either. So, everythings got screwed up. I chose sleep over eating because, as a result of not getting enough calories in, i've been drinking 4 pints of whole milk every day. So, i'm still getting there, but it's far from optimal. The week before the course and moving into the house, I injured my back, too, after having a box full of stuff dropped on me from a loft, which was nice.

Looking back, I could of prepared much better for this. For starters, I tried to stick to my 4x per week lifting schedule, moving it to mon, tues, thurs, fri. 2 upper and 2 lower body days. However, the course involved a lot of training and, that ontop of less sleep and worse diet, burnt me out big time. The last few weeks of it I dropped it down to a 3 days per week and it was more managable. Should of seen it coming and reduced my own training before it started.

Been getting back to normal this week though, and feel better for it already.

Despite my boat load of excuses above, sleeps always been an issue for me. I normally read at night and can lose hours. Always been a bad habbit. I find anything less than 6 hours really screws my lifting up. 8 hours feels amazing, on the rare occasion that I get it. There's actualy no reason for me to not get it, just lack of will power.

KPj

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:14 am

Eating, but I think that is true for most people.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:48 am

Eating. Out of the three it's the area I'm having the most trouble with.

My sleep isn't perfect but generally I get a lot of it. Occasionally cut short or interrupted, but I supplement with naps and I hit the sack early. I figure I go to sleep at 10 and wake up at 4 am because of noise, I got 6 hours...and I'll get 2-3 more before I get up for good. Most nights I get 9 hours and sleep right through.

My lifting is pretty much nailed down. I'd tweak it if I could but I'd be foolish if I did so. I've gained more in the past year than I did in my first year. I look better and I feel better, and I'm making lifts I'd never thought I'd do without even the slightest worry about injury.

But eating...yeah. I generally eat well - whole foods, regular meals, organic foods (usually home- or local-grown), limited sugar, lots of water, careful supplementation with minerals/vitamins/creatine, no risky shortcuts. But I also know I eat a lot and often. I have a broad-strokes idea of how to eat well and I do so, but I can't fine-tune it. Right now I'm trying to lose fat, and after cutting for competition and then keeping up the fat-loss regime for a month...I'm not really better off. I know how to eat to gain, but I can't fine-tune it well enough to gain primarily lean mass.
Applied nutrition is where I have the most trouble. I'm trying to find a way to nail it down without subscribing to meal plans, counting Zone Blocks, doing a fake-food diet (V-diet, for example), etc. The meal plans are the best option, but it better say "pumpkin" or "cucumbers" or "fresh lettuce" on the menu because the garden is producing them all the time. :)

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 am

i'd say if i had to chose it would be eating. i could be eating a lot more and be getting bigger and bigger, but i'm also trying to lose my gut. it's such a hard fence to walk upon.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:18 am

xshawnxearthx wrote:i could be eating a lot more and be getting bigger and bigger, but i'm also trying to lose my gut. it's such a hard fence to walk upon.
Yes, it is. I'm frustrated with my body fat level because that's dead weight I carry into my weight class.

There is vanity in it to - I'd like to look better - but when I have to make weight I'm annoyed I'm carrying excess body fat into the contest when those pounds could be muscle.

At the same time, I have to eat to get stronger and retain the muscle I've got already.

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:19 am

I voted eating. My diet is good most of the time....but when I am around others I slip....mostly over doing the carbs. Alcohol should have been another category.... :lol: . I may have voted for that before food.....

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am

hmmm, Looks like I'm not really that much different from everyone else afterall.

I chose Eating and Diet. Mainly, because when I eat Low/lower Carb like I should I end up not eating enough. Or my other option is I eat way to much.

I know I should be eating MORE Smaller meals throughout the day, but it's usually more like the following.
Breakfast - Maybe (likely fast food breakfast sandwich, but I will occassionally cook some Eggs at home)
Lunch - I do eat a lot of Chicken sandwiches
Dinner - Could be anything
52g Protein Shake - Post Workout

I eat to many carbs, not enough protein, but my fat intake usually isn't that bad.

Yesterday, I thought I was doing pretty good, felt full all day, but after calculating the Cals and nutrients, It appears as though I really didn't eat..
Breakfast - 4 eggs, 5 slices bacon 545cal 40f 6c 36p
Lunch - Small Chili/cheese, 5pc nugget 420cal 21f 31c 26p
Dinner - 7 chicken tenders and coke 515cal 21f 65c 17p
Total 1475cal 82f 102c 80p

Also, I need to drink more water... I drink Coffee like it's water, but truly need to drink the plain water...

Cliff

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 am

pdellorto wrote:
xshawnxearthx wrote:i could be eating a lot more and be getting bigger and bigger, but i'm also trying to lose my gut. it's such a hard fence to walk upon.
Yes, it is. I'm frustrated with my body fat level because that's dead weight I carry into my weight class.

There is vanity in it to - I'd like to look better - but when I have to make weight I'm annoyed I'm carrying excess body fat into the contest when those pounds could be muscle.

At the same time, I have to eat to get stronger and retain the muscle I've got already.
i wish it was a lot more cut and dry. i try to do both and it's rough. i think this week will push me past my next goal. i'm hoping that a weekend of not drinking beer, and next week switching up my cardio will help.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:51 am

eating without a doubt is the hardest part, but if the poll would have let me pick more than one answer it would have been eating and sleeping.
Too much fat and sugar, not enough veggies, and waaaaaaaay to much alcohol.
plus I dont think Ive hit more than 5 hours of sleep a single night this week. :(

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 am

Mine is a toss up between lifting and eating, but not the obvious on either. Eating, I do fine w/the foods. Te thing is on my off work days, I tend to throw back a few beers. Doesn't really affect my weight all that much, but like some others have stated, i could be a little leaner just by knocking it completely out.
Lifting. Normally this isn't a problem, but, I work 12 hour days, 5 X week now. Ater getting sleep time, getting my brown bag luches made, cleaning the house and looking after my father's needs, I have to find time to work out. Needless to say I use abbreviated routine. This is usually no problem on my light METCON days, but on my heavier days it can present a problem when I',short of time and groggy from and tired from the time deficit.
Tim

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am

i chose sleeping, because that's always been an issue with me. Weeknights I usually get about 4 hours, sometimes I can get 6 if I'm really lucky, if I get a bad night it can be as little as 2, or on really rare occasions, none.

eating's ok for me I don't really worry too much about cheat foods because my bodyfat doesn't ever seem to increase, and I've recently started drinking milk like a thirsty baby cow.

Although I drink far too much, far too often and that must be throwing me off my game...