are workouts always going to suffer....

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

xshawnxearthx

are workouts always going to suffer....

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:05 pm

after you take a week off? man, after 12 weeks of going heavy and making excellent progress, i had such a crappy lift tonight. endurance was completely gone. was able to get through first sets at the last weight i lifted at, but then second and third sets were terrible. ugh. i don't ever want to take a week off again.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:09 pm

No. A week shouldn't have a negative effect. A week off once in a while can be really good for you.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm

ugh. i ate very well, lots of protein, did tons of cardio last week and then i get to the gym and it's just crap city.

the only thing that didn't suffer on the second and third sets was tricep extensions and dips. everything else sucked.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Don't get too down...sometimes you just have off days. Even when your lifting regularly. At least you're there lifting heavily. That's the more important part, not just one crappier workout.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 pm

i think it's all because i took a week off. since i joined the gym 4 months ago i had one bad workout....day one. after that it's been nothing but greatness.

i'm keeping my focus positive. i feel like the week i took off kind of set me back another week.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:13 am

I don't think it will be a week off that's an issue. Due to work commitments and my love-life i usually take a week off here and there, and i very rarely come back to the gym weaker. Sometimes i come back to the gym stronger, and as the Doc says if you've been training solidly for four monthsa week off will probably be good for you.

What i imagine is that maybe you weren't mentally prepared for going back to the gym after a week off. Physiologically nothing is going to have changed, unless you binged on crap food for a week, it's all in the mind.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 am

yeah i really don't know. it was just frustrating. i was ready and pumped to get back into the gym. =(

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 am

Don't worry. Everyone has those days. And sometimes you take a week off and come back in too ready, too primed to go, and feel disappointed with almost any result you get.

I've had times where I went to MMA class and left my MMA at home. Just a brutal 90+ minutes of training with no technique, nothing working, no strength, continuous bad decisions, revert to beginner's errors or bad habits, and tap, tap, tap. I got home totally frustrated, wondering what hope I've got of continuing on in the sport competitively if I suck so bad.
In my opinion, those are the classes which give me the most benefits. I gut it out and get the work in.

Each workout is a step in a process. My mantra has been to "get the work in" - do the reps, do the techniques, do that next round, finish that sprint interval, get that prowler or sled to the end of the course. It all adds up to good things in the end. They won't all be perfect days where you feel strong and skilled and everything works and those aren't even the most useful ones.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:56 am

i did finish all the sets, i just had to go down in weight on the 2nd and 3rd sets.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 am

I normally come back stronger after a week off, I think mentally I try prove to myself I haven't lost any strength and end up doing better. See how your next workout goes, I'm sure you'll do well.

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 am

ive had the same experience after taking a week off. Now i just lift, lift, lift and consider my week off my rest day instead.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 pm

whenever I take a week off, I start the first session easy and then make my way up to heavy again or my body will break down on me and yell at me.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 pm

clearly next week i'll be back to raging, it's just a mental set back.

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

maybe next time you take a break you can just decrease the weight and try to maintain the volume. that way your muscles will still be able to recuperate.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:08 pm

by that do you mean just go easy for a week instead of taking a week off?