(Newbie) Retain weight when starting out?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

(Newbie) Retain weight when starting out?

Post by RobertB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:27 am

Hello guys - I will try to keep the intro short and get to the point but...

Usual newbie disclaimer, I have searched and had a brief look at linked articles but am still undecided on this point/question. Apologies if this is staring me in the face somewhere but I may have overlooked it.

I am 6'4" (1.95m) / 16 stone (224lbs - 101k) age 26. I'd like to weigh around 15 stone (210lbs)
from 19-21 I did a mon/wed/fri full body - at 21 I stopped pretty much completely *insert usual excuses here* but I want to get back into it.

My goals are firstly strength, I work an office job and its suprizing how weak I have become compared to 20/21.

I am happy to have a 6pack in a years time but this would only be a nice side effect, as I say, strength first, fitness 2nd, vanity 3rd.

So...

I am working my way back to resuming mon/wed/fri routine. However, What I am curious about is should I keep my weight stable - simply replacing fat with muscle and ensuring I clean up my diet.

The main point of this is, I know if I start to cycle 30 minutes on tue/thurs (possibly sunday too, but like my lazy zombie weekends :) ) my weight will drop (unless I intentionally up my cals) - if I knew for a fact that I would not gain much for these cycling/cardio sessions I would skip them.

I would like to trim fat, but not at the expense of early muscle and strength development.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by RobertB on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:31 am

If you're in as bad a shape as I was a couple years ago, then stepping right into a 5 day a week workout is too much.

Also Calories are mostly meaningless.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 am

If you don't want to cycle, don't. Cardio is vastly overrated for weight loss. What you eat matters far more. In general, your appetite will keep pace with your activity so it's a zero sum equation anyway.

A 3 day/wk strength training program is sufficient to gain strength, and I agree that should be your main focus.

Read the stickies for beginner routines and diet advise. If you want to run/cycle/hike/etc, do it because you enjoy it. If it's not helping in stress relief, it's probably doing more harm than good.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:09 pm

stuward wrote:If you want to run/cycle/hike/etc, do it because you enjoy it. If it's not helping in stress relief, it's probably doing more harm than good.
Stuward! You're my guru.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:03 am

Ok thanks guys - I just had it in my head that because I smoke (like 1 or 2 a day, dont smoke mon/tue/wed, I'm sure most get my drift) I thought in order to help my lung capacity and general breathing that I would need cardio too - which would help my general ability to work my muscles - I understand that the best way to get better at lifting is to lift though :)

But for now, as you are suggesting, I will stick to the three day routine of lifting and sort my diet out.

Cheers

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:38 am

Smoking does change the picture. Smoking will affect your ability to build muscle and it will affect your lung capacity. The cardio probably will not overcome the damage you're doing.

Stronglifts had a blog recently about it. http://stronglifts.com/smoking-weight-l ... endurance/

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:05 am

Great article Stu. I've often wondered if there was anything out on smoking and lifting but always forget to look around. I smoked when I was about 14, until about 18/19, despite having asthma all my life (i'm 24 now).

A guy I train with, he's 26/27, weighs about 230lbs, his latest lifts are the following - DL, 620lbs, Squat, 530, Bench, 365. All raw, but with a belt. He's actually pulled 660 but says he weighed about 260 at that time, with lots of body fat. Anyway, he smokes. He often jokes that his warm up is "2 cigarettes". I'm pretty certain he's an exception to the rule, and, well, he's still young so I guess time will tell.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 am

Robert--Ya gotta quit. That stuff hurts you in more ways than I can count. If you care enough about your body to lift, why don't you quit?

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 am

I considered before I said I smoke if I should reveal this - but if I intend to be active here I can't be bothered with the effort of dropping hints or psuedonyms . I smoke pot.

If you want me to fully outline why i believe I do it, I am more than happy to write a page worth, I'm sure it would bennefit me in the process. But since you haven't directly asked for that, and this is an exercise forum (would say the same for a car forum - I'm refering to it being offtopic, not against the ethos) - I will forgoe it.

But as a straight answer - I believe the pros outweigh the cons, this will/would likely change if/when I feel the negative effects - I have gone from everyday to aiming for weekends - hopefully in time I can just have 1-2 a week when I don't have the patience for society/people.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 am

if it makes you feel any better RobertB I'm right there with you. I smoke cigarettes too though

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:28 am

aw man i just read that link and it says smoking increases cortisol poduction and slows down absorption of protein and vitamins etc. I'd have been happier not knowing!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:16 pm

I don't think smoking pot is going to have much affect. It depends on how much you do it though. The smoke could possibly damage your lungs over time. Marijuana does have tar in it.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Bumping instead of new topic -

What I still could do with knowing is - as someone who is 16 stone and has a visably fat body (not bad tbh, but its sort of messy looking) - would loosing weight mean less strength gains? I would rather keep the unsightly fat for a while if it means it is better for strength, but if loosing the flab wont affect my gains, I will do it (I don't find adjusting my weight too difficult so it wouldnt be much of a chore)

Han

Post by Han » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:48 pm

My own experience is that after bulking up to 72kgs (from 66kgs), I made a lot of strength gains.

I recently cut most of it all off, back to 68 kgs. So I think it was mostly fat.

Two points:

* I didn't lose any strength while cutting, but I lifted heavy once a week and did higher (8) rep super- and tri-sets twice a week for fat loss. This was cool as my "power to weight" ratio went up and I hit my 1.5bw squat by losing weight.

* I found that adding in a couple of days cardio (jogging) made buggerall difference to fat loss.