TIME- "Exercise Myth: why exercise won't make you thin.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

YeahBuddy
Rookie
Rookie

TIME- "Exercise Myth: why exercise won't make you thin.

Post by YeahBuddy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:53 pm

what a horrible message. there are elements of truth to it, but it is very misleading to the lay person.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 57,00.html

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Yeah, I saw this via Eric Cressey's blog about a week ago.
This is the most flat-out atrocious piece of journalism I’ve seen in my entire life:

Why Exercise Won’t Make You Thin

Talk about skewing research to tell the story to which you’re clearly biased in order to generate some controversy! There is no mention of excess post-exercise oxygen consumption or the difference among different types of exercise (steady-state cardio, interval training, resistance training). There isn’t any discussion of visceral versus subcanteous fat loss.

And, it isn’t that exercise won’t make you thinner; it’s that exercise combined with increased calories may not make you thinner. In other words, exercise is good, but morons are bad.

This is a perfect example of a journalist who clearly knows NOTHING about exercise interviewing a bunch of experts and then presenting one side of a story without making some very important qualifying statements (trust me, I’ve seen this multiple times before when freelance writers have interviewed me for stories for mainstream magazines). In this writer’s case, those qualifying statements should be:

a. “Research has shown that exercise in conjunction with a maintenance or reduction in calories does increase fat loss as compared to maintaining or reducing calories alone.”

b. “I really am in no way qualified to write this article. In fact, I’m probably not even smart enough to turn on a treadmill, so they just put me on this hamster wheel in my cubicle to make me feel somewhat qualified to discuss exercise.”

Honestly, I could go on all day ranting and raving about this, but such rubbish journalism isn’t even worth my time. Instead, I’d just encourage you to give up Time Magazine altogether for publishing such crap. I know I will be doing so.
Good on ya Eric! Respect to that.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: TIME- "Exercise Myth: why exercise won't make you t

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:15 pm

YeahBuddy wrote:what a horrible message. there are elements of truth to it, but it is very misleading to the lay person.
Yeahbuddy,

It's an interesting article. I suspect that those who don't want to exercise will us it to support their reasons that they don't exercise.

Or perhaps they go with Rodney Dangerfield's advice, "When I get the urge to exercise, I go lay down and wait for the feeling to pass". That works.

The key to weight loss is diet. So, the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association's guidelines of 60-90 minutes a day are misleading. I agree with the aritlce that 60-90 on most days is unrealistic.

It more like the majority of people don't MAKE time for exercise. But they/we all MAKE time for thing we want/like to do.

The key to maintaining an exercise program is finding an activity that you enjoy. My son is just turned 26. As per him, he does NOT exercise. He has a resting heart rate of around 60 beats per minute.

However, he's a competetitive swing dancer (what old is new...lol). He spend a lot of time on the dance floor jumping around...but that's NOT exercise (as per him).

The gyms and fitness group really push the fact that muscle burns more calories than fat...but as the article noted, very little. Muscle burning approximately 6 calories per day vs 2 calories for fat.

Cloud, who wrote the article, perpetuats the myth that you can turn fat into muscle.

The most effective method for weight loss is a synergistic one involveing, diet and exercise. Combing a good diet with a good exercise program is like adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.

"The whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts."

As you stated, it is a bit misleading.

Kenny Croxdale

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Although it could use improvement, the article doesn't seem that horrible to me at first glance.

I'm routinely frustrated by talking to people that spend 90 minutes on a treadmill and then leave to go eat cinnamon buns and cereal.

Cressey refers to such people as "morons". But "ignorant" is probably more fair, and articles like this might help.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 pm

what did the article even say about eating? lol why am I even asking... low fat obviously...

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:41 am

As an average Joe; this sentence just makes my jaw drop -

"Exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more"

???

I mean I have to be careful as someone who isn't a dietician or personal trainer - I don't like people saying "duh its obvious" when they have no expertise... but...

Isn't the above like saying
"quitting heroin has another effect, it can stimulate withdrawal symptoms. That causes us to take more drugs"

Am I missing something? Have I used a bad example? Please enlighten me if I have

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 am

RobertB wrote:As an average Joe; this sentence just makes my jaw drop -

"Exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more"

???

I mean I have to be careful as someone who isn't a dietician or personal trainer - I don't like people saying "duh its obvious" when they have no expertise... but...

Isn't the above like saying
"quitting heroin has another effect, it can stimulate withdrawal symptoms. That causes us to take more drugs"

Am I missing something? Have I used a bad example? Please enlighten me if I have
Depends on other peoples experience/goals, but I cant say I feel hungry after I lift. I do make a point of eating, but because my goal is to increase my weight by gaining muscle.

If your goal is fat loss, then you probably do cardio and try to eat less anyway, so it's quite normal and quite proper to feel hungry.

So, no...I dont think you've used a bad example. Just that if you're trying to come off drugs (or lose fat) you make a deliberate point of abstinence in the bad stuff and endulge in the good.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:36 am

Exercise makes me hungry, but I don't "reward" myself with junk food. That's the bad habit, not the exercise. The author comes so close to making a good point about how it's not enough to do cardio for 30 minutes to justify eating junk, instead its "exercise makes you hungry and you make poor food choices, so don't exercise." No, learn to make good food choices.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:10 am

Exercise definitely makes me hungry. Takes about 15-45 min to kick in though. While I'm in the middle of doing deadlifts I'm usually more nauseous than hungry.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 pm

I don't know what the article says, but the premise is true. There's plenty of research to back that up too. Now if you are eating well, some weight training is going to speed that up, but there is no making up for a crappy diet.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:27 pm

I read the article. They are getting closer, but their preconceived assumptions are still driving their conclusion right off the cliff. This is the only field where the science has been so full of assumptions. It's very sloppy, and it's a downright embarrassment to the scientific method.

They are sitting there saying, "well maybe this happened, or maybe that happened". Well maybe your experiment sucks, how about that. It sounds like they need to review more journals and spend less time spouting off guesses like a bunch off asshats.

I love the way they just conclude that they need a different type of exercise. "Well, maybe if people just move less vigorously a lot more often. That has to be it, just because I can't think of anything else."

So we have a conclusion and recommendation being made, on the basis of nothing more solid than the idiot doing it can't think of anything else. Never mind the fact that he has no evidence supporting his conclusion. But oh no, this didn't work, so of course this other thing that I just pulled out of my ass has to be the answer! Wow that's one of the most pathetic attempts at "science" I've seen.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:02 pm

Here's a good analysis of the article.

http://theorytopractice.wordpress.com/2 ... t-control/

Here's another good article that might actually be read by people who read Time magazine.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2009/ ... u_thin.php

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Perfect example of why I DON'T read Time magazine. Every f***ing article is not in any way to be informative but designed to maximize sales of the magazine. UGH!

Bacchus1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bacchus1979 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:20 pm

This article, which i had delibaretly avoided reading at first, made my blood boil ;

Really - "Could pushing people to exercise more actually be contributing to our obesity problem? In some respects, yes."

Talk about drawing a broad conclusion based on only a tiny fraction of information, and questionable information at that. But really it's just irresponsible.

WTF - this kind of thing is just dangerous in a country with the kind of obesity problem we have in America.

Then he goes on to talk about the "self-control muscle" - I don't even KNOW what to say about that.

Id be hopping up and down mad, if Ihadn't just pulled my glute :lol:

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Same with those Best Health mags.

full of "secrets" to loose belly fat....