TIME- "Exercise Myth: why exercise won't make you thin.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Yea, even Men's Health went WAY down hill. It's all utter crap now. It really does seem to be about nothing but selling magazines.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:11 am

Belly fat?

You can do side bends or sit ups, but please don't lose that butt!

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Maybe the whole point of the article was to make people who don't exercise regularly feel less guilty about being obese. If I was a obese and loved to eat at McD's after wasting my time and money at a gym, the article would be comforting. It's almost saying, "the exercise makes you eat all of those fries and cheese burgers,,,that's why you're fat."

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 am

I read a little bit of this article, but couldn't read any more than the first page, due to the fact common sense is thrown out the window. Your body likes to be in a state of equilibrium. Duh. It doesn't like losing calories at the end of the day and having to use fat, because evolutionary speaking, fat is for emergencies. You are going to get hungrier exercising, you just have to have some will power and eat good amounts (but not too much) of the right stuff.

I have significant amounts of weight at two points in my life, and both times exercising helped. I know someone else who lost weight based off diet alone. Now, his body is just sort of awkward looking. If he had toned with exercise perhaps, at the very least, it wouldn't be as bad.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:34 am

Here's John Berardi's take on it, if no ones seen it yet.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/exerc ... oesnt-work

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:49 am

Tony Gentlecore summed it up nicely:

"It isn’t that people are exercising too much and it’s making them fat. Rather, it’s more likely they’re mode of exercise is woefully inefficient, as well as not nearly challenging enough. Not to mention they’re making piss-poor food choices. Weird how that works. Accountability is a bitch."