Getting old(er)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Getting old(er)

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:55 am

This is directed mostly at the members who are in their 50s and up.

What has been the hardest aspect of fitness to maintain through the years, especially the last few years? What has been the easiest?

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 am

Up until my 40s, just living was "good enough" to do what I needed to do, but weakness and flabiness sneaks up on you. Starting late in life is hard and would have been a lot easier had I been active thoughout but looking back, it's hard to be motivated to workout when you don't really "need" to. Now the problem is trying to balance recovery and joint pains with making slower progress than I might like just because my body doesn't respond like a young persons. One thing I've had to come to grips with is to define fitness on my own terms. It can't just be strength at all costs. It has to include the ability to do whatever tasks that life will throw at you, especially the enjoyable ones. I started playing tennis this year and my son just bought a surf board. I haven't been on it yet, but before the weeks out I will be.

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:13 pm

When you are past the 50 year mark, you do have to redefine your goals a bit. Having lifted most of my life, I can still handle some good weight as long as I am consistent at that gym and pay attention to nutrition. You CAN make progress at any age and reach goals that are realistic for your age. Weight lifting has been proven to slow down muscle atrophy and strength losses in studies involving the elderly. A few months away from 60, my personal advice is not to skimp on exercise that is your "insurance policy" against injuries (i.e. lower back and abs). Proper warm up and plenty of stretching is also advised for older lifters. I see too many young lifters these days, tearing up muscle because they don't PREPARE to lift. Extreme sports may put a crimp in your fitness plan, simply because it will take you longer to recover from sprains and broken bones. I steer clear from volleyball and basketball because I know one wrong move can take me out of the gym for weeks. I guess it's about pride vs priorities:)
Squeeze life until it bleeds.