Problems in performing a squat

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jeannay
Novice
Novice

Problems in performing a squat

Post by Jeannay » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:13 pm

So as the title says i have problems in performing a squat, because i always lose the "balance" on my toes. they aren`t touching the ground anymore, still i can go on but i think if i perfom squats with higher weight it will get problematical^^.

Also my knees seem to hurt sometimes. I searched in the site for this and i found the "hamstring weakness" which could suit. Any Suggestions how i can "strenghten" my knees or make them less suffer?

THx for your answers

Jeanny, excuse my bad english :S

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 pm

get on a stability ball and do leg curls. sqeeze your butt together like there is something between it and your trying to keep it from coming out) and bring your butt up in the air and do a leg curl keeping it squeezed the whole time. when the butt collapses, then stop. but first make sure you do regular glute bridges first.

glute activation is important in squats and deadlifts.

Sqeeze that butt and your knees and back will thank you. The squeezing happens when you stand all the way up. and you are supposed to be sitting back when you squat down and have your weight on your heels/mid foot. not your toes or balls of foot like sprinting. weight stays back. practice with a dowel first and then move onto one of those bar weight things and then the bar when you get the form right. if you have a digital camera, bring it with you to the gym and video your form. before you go, video a good squat form online and compare on each set. do not look at the mirror when you are squatting. face away from it. depend on your camera

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 pm

your knees could hurt for a number of reasons. mainly you may be squatting with your feet too close together and your toes pointing forward.

you are going to find that everyone does them differently. i did a lot of research because i was in pain and now i'm pain free. feet shoulder width, toes pointed out at an angle(parallel to your thigh when you are at the bottom end of the squat).

also, always try and remain flat footed. i don't know what i would do if my toes were coming off the ground at the bottom end of the squat, besides leaning forward a little and placing the barbell lower on your back.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

wait a minute...correction from my first reply..you said your toes are coming off the ground, not staying on the ground and heels coming off. I missunderstood and this is a correction response below...

When the toes are coming off the ground, you are leaning too far back (sitting to far back on your heels). What you want is your weight even on both feet and your weight flat on both feet with your legs shoulder width apart.

Test this..

use only your bodyweight...

get off the chair and squat down putting your weight on your heels only. What happens?

then squat again putting your weight all on your toes. what happens?

then squat again keeping your weight even on both feet (whole foot, not just heel and not just toe). what happens?

You squat down using your glutes and quads together. You just go straight up and down in a line. You are not deadlifting the weight, so this is a lot different. What you are probably doing is deadlifting the weight instead of squatting the weight. deadlift requires sitting far back due to gravity.

You are probably posterior chain dominant, meaning its real strong. When I first started deadlifting, I was told that I was squatting the weight up instead of deadlifting it up.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:31 pm

it's probably your stance, widen it a bit then see if it still happens.

powerlifters tend to use a REALLY wide stance, you could give that a try.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Make sure the barbell is above the middle of the foot.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Personally I find myself going back to these videos by SquatRX for refreshers ...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... rm+squatrx

Not sure if that is going to help you at all .. but it helps me after something just doesn't seem right after a workout