ankle - lost mobility and somehow got sprained

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

caangelxox

ankle - lost mobility and somehow got sprained

Post by caangelxox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 pm

doing the ankle wall mobility exercise for example, I used to feel a stretch in my calf/achiles in my left leg, but not anymore. I feel something akward in the area below my shin/where my foot bends. Also I have to get out of the position when I am on the balls of my feet with my shins passed my toes (left leg) squatting down as an example. If my foot is flat, I'm ok. I cant go into the calf stretch position with my left leg at all anymore.

I went to the chiropractor today (the one my dance teacher and pilates teacher goes to and recommend me that works on dancers, athletes, anyone and works on a lot of ankles) and he told me I sprained my ankle and then there were big sound popping when he was putting my ankle back in alignment. my ankle somehow got out of alignment pretty bad. He did 2 tests on me (1 inversion, and 1 with my foot flexed to my shin and trying to prevent him from pushing it away. after tge adjustment, he did the test again and I got my strength back for that test. There is no ankle pain though, just akward feeling (like something is stabbing me. whenever my knee goes passed my toes a certain distance on my left leg. I can walk just fine and everything, but I have been wearing an ankle brace for tennis and slowpitch softball games to prevent anything worse from happening to it and so I can move fine. I bought it after tennis class tuesday because I was not able to move like I regulary do (u go into the wall ankle mobility exercise position a lot and change direction a lot).

I am taking a beginning dance class at school mainily to get more flexible and to learn how to dance as well. It happened once in my first class, and twice in my next 1, third class didnt show up (skipped for a kelly clarkson concert), 4th class wore my ankle brace (hard to wear it in dance I found out). my next class is Monday and the only thing I have this weekend is homework and working. What should I do to get my mobility back in my ankle and be able to do what I used to do and get it 100% by monday? ankle is still a little swollen (outside ankle of left foot). sucks that the sprain and little swole didnt go away after the chiropractor adjustment, but the strength came back. He also told me my shins were weak compared to my calves (calves are real strong due to a lot of sprinting) and need to strengthen my calves.

has this happened to anyone before and what should I do to get the strength back and have it heal good and not go back out of alignment by monday? and increase my shin strength to wear it needs to be b4 monday? and what exercises, mobility work, stretches I can do? never had this happened before. and i go to a chiropractor because its cheaper. and should I still wear my ankle brace when I play softball monday night (I play 4 times a week) and throughout the week and tennis class? I want to increase my strength, not make it weaker. the ankle brace just stabilizes, but doesnt increase the strength.

I am worried about this. what should I do? ankles should be like any other muscle...going back into alignment and everything is okay. I had a problem with my throwing shoulder 1 time and the chiropractor got rid the problem right away in 1 session. thought that would happen with the ankle too. and what is an ankle sprain exactly?

TimetoGrow
n00b
n00b

Post by TimetoGrow » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:21 pm

ummmmm ok lets see, doing any type of ankle routine without warming up is really bad, in fact doing any type of ankle routine can be extremely bad if done the wrong way or if rest wasnt applied enough... go see a doctor you might have hurt your tendons it shouldnt be too serious as long as you stop the ankle workouts for now

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:01 pm

my ankle is actually better now since the chiropractor friday. All he did was put it back in alignment so it can heal correctly. I will find out monday in my beginning dance class how my ankle is. I know I can balance well on my left foot again. I could not balance for rarely any seconds at all before I saw the chiropractor on my left foot. its a little tender here and there when my foot is in a certain position for a second, but thats about it and the tender is getting less and less. its like any other muscle or body part. when you scrape yourself, it is tender and then goes away on its own. But with a muscle problem or bone problem, a chiropractor is needed to put it back in alignment to heal correctly or problems will occur again. I'm glad I made the right choice.

If I went to a doctor, I bet he/she would not know how to put my foot back in alignment and will just say "wear an ankle brace" or/and "go see a PT" or/and "here is some medication and make sure you RICE". I trust a chiropractor over a doctor anytime.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 am

A sprain is not a muscle injury, it's a tendon injury. It does not heal quickly like DOMS. After your injury that tendon is prone to further injury and it could take 6 months of more before it's fully healed. Adding dance classes on top of tennis and softball is probably not a good idea. You need to rest your ankles to allow it to heal. Stretching will further agravate it. To strengthen the front of your shins is a good idea: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt ... hor1929502

Superset these with your regular calf exercise. This is one option, the one I use.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tib ... Press.html

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 pm

I ahave no ankle pain though, so I don't need to stop playing softball or dancing or tennis. I can play with my ankle brace on. My ankle was more stiff before seeing the chiropractor friday and I was perfectly fine (doing all the normal things) in tennis and softball. Today I feel that I dont need it on, but I will use the ankle brace anyway until it heals completly 100%.

and it wont take 6 weeks to heal because this is minor. There was not a time where I could not walk and there was no pain at all walking. Only changing directions fast and knee over toes in the wall ankle mob stretch, that was all. Now I can do the ankle mob stretch wall without any tender feeling, but I could tell my ankle is stiff for that movement and lost flexibility. I need to regain to get like my right foot.

TimetoGrow
n00b
n00b

Post by TimetoGrow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:30 pm

so basically no point in posting here anymore

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Keep posting, time. Sometimes you get ignored, but more often you do not, and I've read your posts. There on target. Some people accept advice, others don't. Some only accept it from certain posters, and Stu is definately a mcredible source in this area/
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:52 am

caangelxox wrote:I ahave no ankle pain though, so I don't need to stop playing softball or dancing or tennis. I can play with my ankle brace on. My ankle was more stiff before seeing the chiropractor friday and I was perfectly fine (doing all the normal things) in tennis and softball. Today I feel that I dont need it on, but I will use the ankle brace anyway until it heals completly 100%.

and it wont take 6 weeks to heal because this is minor. There was not a time where I could not walk and there was no pain at all walking. Only changing directions fast and knee over toes in the wall ankle mob stretch, that was all. Now I can do the ankle mob stretch wall without any tender feeling, but I could tell my ankle is stiff for that movement and lost flexibility. I need to regain to get like my right foot.
I think what TimeToGrow means is that if you aren't planning to at least consider the advice you are given, there is no point to post. It seems that many times you already have your mind made up as to the answers to your own questions, and if someone offers something different, you just argue. I haven't been answering your posts for a while now for just that reason.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 pm

I take advice, but the thing is that the person said I should stop dancing and softball all together, and I cant do that. Just because something minor happened in a beginning dance class at school I need to stop stuff? I went to my dance class yesterday and I had no problems doing the moves and such. The teacher even told me that my feet were looking better and doing the moves better too because I was strengthening them over the weekend and went to the chiropractor. I also had tennis today and did it with no problem and I had no ankle brace on. its hard to judge an injury or a little sprain and what we can do and cannot do over the internet without feeling whats going on inside the ankle and such. there is no pain at all. just lack of strength and mobility a little bit, thats it. I can also do lunges now with no problem too.

the only thing I cannot do right now is stretch my left calf because I don't feel a stretch in my left calf (the side that got the minor ankle sprain)...and I have no idea why that is.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 pm

you can't or don't want to?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:12 pm

You said you sprained it, Stu gave you perfectly appropriate advice for caring for a sprain, you dissed his advice, and now you're saying basically that there wasn't really anything wrong in the first place. Obviously you didn't sprain it.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 pm

chiropractor told me it was a mild sprain and I did the right thing by going to him. Before going, the ankle was staying the same and was not healing. now its healing just fine. If I wear an ankle brace when playing sports, it will heal nicely. all the brace does is keep it stable and prevent any future injury.

this is what a mild sprain is and this is what I had... source: http://www.mdadvice.com/library/sport/sport238.html (I just found the website through google).

signs and symtomsAnkle pain at the time of injury.
A feeling of popping or tearing in the outer part of the ankle.
Mild tenderness at the injury site.
Little loss of function. The injured person can bear weight and walk without help for 30 minutes or so following injury. Then, depending on the extent of injury, the joint may seem to lose some of its stability.
Swelling in the ankle.
Little or no visible bruising for several hours after injury. Then some bruising may appear.

APPROPRIATE HEALTH CARE
Doctor's care only if discomfort is great or doesn't improve in 24 hours. (note: I went to the chiropractor to put it back in alignment so it can heal correctly and now its coming along great)
Self-care after diagnosis.
Whirlpool, ultrasound or massage (to displace fluid from the injured joint space).

healingThe full extent of the injury cannot be determined for 12 to 24 hours. A first-degree ankle sprain usually heals enough in 5 to 7 days to allow modified activity. Complete healing requires an average of 6 weeks.[/i

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 pm

I'll quickly interject some relevant comedy before this thread gets too serious!

*Crocodile dundee voice*
That's not an ankle sprain. This is an ankle sprain.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:36 am

then why is my ankle not normal then if its not a sprain? this is just minor. just tender here and there when moving in fast directions fast (which is why I wear a brace when playing softball or tennis until it heals all the way). and why cant I feel my left calf stretching when I stretch the side that got sprained? all I feel is nothing and lost mobility when I do the ankle mob wall exercise

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:10 am

Dang it, I think my reference was missed. In the movie Crocodile dundee the main protagonist is held up by a robber holding a pocket knife (~4") to which he says "That's not a knife, this is a knife!" and pulls out a bowie knife (~9").

I wasn't saying that it wasn't an ankle sprain, I just saying that it seems minor. My ankle sprain was from playing ultimate frisbee and it put me out of commission for nearly a month. I also blew out my knee once and it was fine for day to day stuff and running about but then I tried back packing and going up (well... down) mountains it had problems. The doctor told me it could take at least 6 months to heal.

Needless to say, tendons and ligaments just don't heal as fast as muscle.

As for the other stuff I'm no doctor nor am I anywhere near an expert but I love figuring stuff out and I can hypothesize.

The ankle is primarily composted of bones and ligaments, cartilage that connects and holds the bones together. It usually gets damaged when being rotates the wrong way, that is not in a direction similar to pointing your foot up or down. Point your foot up and down has muscles to support it so applying a force to it when moving in that direction might still be possible because it doesn't rely on the tendons as much to keep it in place. Softball sounds like it might be ok if the ankle sprain isn't that bad but I imagine tennis would put a lot of strain on it.

The tenderness might occur from your body doing it's repair work in the area.

Not being able to feel the calf stretching could be due to damaged nerves? Since they're responsible for sending information to the brain?