Periodization: general questions, verification.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Periodization: general questions, verification.

Post by sks24 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm considering switching from light (10-15 reps / 65% 1RM) medium (7-11/70%) and heavy (5-9/80%) days to a periodization type program. But, before I begin, I want to make sure I have a proper understanding of this regime.

I do two full-body lifts a week, each consisting of squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent row, lat pull downs, shoulder press, and abs. Two sets of each exercise: one warm-up at 50% 1RM / 10 reps, one full.

It looks to me like the suggested "meso-cycle," (here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Periodization.html) is simply a variation on light/medium/heavy, with the kicker a very light and then very heavy session after a three-session progression from light to heavy. Moreover, there are two variations on that two-session kicker, with sessions 9 and 10 adding 5% 1RM, respectively, to sessions 4 and 5. (Actually, sessions 6-10 are all 5% more.)

What I would like to do is stick with my Sunday/Thursday lift schedule, and progress through that 10 session sequence. So it would take me 5 weeks to progress through the meso-cycle.

As to the macro-cycle, I was thinking I would follow the suggested reps @ "X" 1RM listed on the 1RM calculator page. (here:http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html) But I'm not sure what those rep counts represent.

Here's what I'm thinking: if I hit 7 reps when I've got a nominal 95% 1RM weight on the bar, I'll simply re-calculate my 1RM for that exercise. On my next 95% session, my rep count should be closer to 2, because there will be more weight on the bar.

Session 4 on that suggested meso-cycle is at 65% 1RM. I'm thinking I should expect to hit 12-15 reps on that day.

There are five different suggested macro-cycles, running from "power," at 3-5 reps, to "active recovery" at 12-15.

If I follow this regime, it looks to me like I'll be hitting all the listed macro-cycles.

Assuming my understanding of all this is roughly correct (and please help me out here if I'm missing something), I'm wondering if I might do better to forget about sticking to Sunday and Thursday.

Reason being is that I might do better to allow three days of rest after a 95% day.

Just sort of thinking out loud here, but, off the top of my head, I'm thinking I'll take three days off after the five sessions at 80% or greater. Anything below that, two days off.

Thank you in advance for any and all comments.

P.S. Thought this was good:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/core-myths/?em
and this:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/0 ... se/?em[url][/url]

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:31 pm

That sounds like a good plan to me.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:14 pm

For about 6 months I did periodization with a heavy/med/light days, but over the last few months I've switched to mixing them up within a single workout. (Which works perfectly since I do 3 exercises per workout anyway.) It keeps the overall workouts more even, with seemingly the same benefits.

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks Ironman & Frogbyte.

Mixing things up in a single workout looks interesting, Frogbyte.

I do six lifts + abs per workout, but there are days I wish I could split the lifts up over two days.

The only thing that makes sense to me is doing all the lifts that significantly involve my back on one day - squats, deadlifts, bent rows - and then bench press, lat-pull downs, and shoulder press the next. Then a day or two off, and repeat. I think I need to hit each lift 8 times a month.

I had to cut my lift short yesterday, and I only did those first three. I'll do the presses and pull-down today, and maybe abs tomorrow.

I'm sure there's a reason I probably shouldn't split it like that, but those first three hit my back and legs pretty hard, while the last three do not. So it's hard to see how anything else would work.

Thanks for your comments.

Scott