Stimulants (Caffeine or Others) & Weight-Training

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

markd4863
Rookie
Rookie

Stimulants (Caffeine or Others) & Weight-Training

Post by markd4863 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Just taking an informal poll on this forum as to how many use some type of stimulant prior to lifting weights.

During my first year of training I drank around 25 mg's of caffeine in some form prior to training in the evening. I've found recently I'm working out later (after 7pm), and have to forgoe any caffeine otherwise I wont sleep later.

Which brings me to my question. Are there serious benefits in getting a boost w/ caffeine? I've found sometimes when I work out on the weekend in the morning, and drink twice the amount of caffeine I normally do (equiv to a can of pop, or cup of coffee), my work-outs are seriously more intense. I'm considering structuring my 3 day full-body work-out to include a weekend day, instead of Mon/Wed/Fri.

Am i limiting my gains? I see guys at the gym in the evening that are amped up beyond belief, and obviously under the influence of some stimulant, and I'm sometimes jealous (presumably these guys dont work 9-5's and wake-up at 7am every morning)...

any thoughts?

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:45 pm

No, but I've been meaning to try caffeine for workouts. I keep forgetting to by caffeine pills. I haven't had a caffeinated drink/food in maybe 10 years, so I'd expect it to have some impact.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm

frogbyte wrote:No, but I've been meaning to try caffeine for workouts. I keep forgetting to by caffeine pills. I haven't had a caffeinated drink/food in maybe 10 years, so I'd expect it to have some impact.
I envy you. LOL. You'll be hee man the first dose of caffeine you get for that workout.

But I definitely say caffeine has a positive impact on physical tasks in general. Just ask me and my new roommate who had to move for 6 hours straight pretty much yesterday and how our full throttle shots worked out good :green:

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:06 am

Caffeine is awesome.

Like today. I got roughly 3 maybe 4 hours of sleep last night. I'm gonna load up with close to a gram split between coffees and a tab and murder myself in the gym after work. (Now I'm gonna sleep like trash because of it again, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)

If you don't drink a lot of caffeine in a regular basis I would avoid the pills until you fully understand your tolerance. I will put back between 4-8 diet coke's a day, and a 200mg pill almost put me on the floor the first few times I took it. My head was spinning and my heart was beating out of my chest.

Some people have real bad crash after the pills too. Mine isn't too bad, but try it on a weekend the first time. Not when you have to work later.

I was around 210lbs I believe when I first started. (I could be wrong. It may or may not be in my log.)

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:12 pm

I always work out in the evening, so not an issue there.

Yeah 200 mg seems a bit much, although I remembered that a few weeks ago I did have a Red Bull, which is caffeinated with 80 mg.

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:16 pm

I usually workout late afternoon after a physical job. A couple double shots of espresso help with motivation......

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Someone posted a reference to some research some months ago that showed a positive effect on training. I have caffeine up until early afternoon, so there's usually some in my system when I work out, so I have no basis for comparison. I don't see any reason why it would hurt, and it seems reasonable that it might help.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 am

Up until ephedra was banned, many supplement companies offered pills or drink mixes that stacked ephedra, caffeine and white willow bark (asprin). Although this formula was primarily for weight loss, some products (like Ultimate Orange) were touted as training boosters.

Caffeine is a two-edged sword. It can improve focus in some people while increasing anxiety in others. It can boost performance in some people while restricting blood flow to others. It really depends on the individual whether caffeine is helpful or not.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:10 pm

I remember reading something about caffeine affecting creatine supplementation. I can't remember what it was but something along the lines of having a negative effect in some way.

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Caffeine negates the effects of creatine. If you are taking caffeine in any form then don't bother taking creatine, you will only be wasting it.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:42 pm

ninjackn wrote:Caffeine negates the effects of creatine. If you are taking caffeine in any form then don't bother taking creatine, you will only be wasting it.
hmmm. Normally I'm not concerned, but do you have a study or article to go along with that?

Now my interest is piqued

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:26 pm

nygmen wrote:hmmm. Normally I'm not concerned, but do you have a study or article to go along with that?

Now my interest is piqued
Yes, but you'll have to pay for it:cry: :
The data show that Cr supplementation elevates muscle PCr concentration and markedly improves performance during intense intermittent exercise. This ergogenic effect, however, is completely eliminated by caffeine intake.
Is your interest still piqued? :lol:

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:30 pm

I am not good at reading fancy scientific journals :wink: hehe. But seriously does that only mean drinking caffeine around the same time as the creatine or if you space them out far enough it would be ok?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Is your interest still piqued? :lol:
ha ha, nope...

And Ruc has a good question too, because I work with numbers, that abstract is greek to me.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 pm

nygmen wrote:And Ruc has a good question too.
Hopefully, this articlegives Ruc a good answer:
If you're serious about getting the most from creatine, avoid chronic use of caffeine. Scientific studies show that the equivalent of three cups of coffee per day for as little as three days is sufficient to completely negate the benefits typically afforded by creatine (ref. 1). On the other hand, an occasional cup of coffee doesn't seem to render much harm (refs. 2, 3).
Now I know why creatine didn't do the trick for me. Live and learn. :lol: