Things you believe, but can't prove

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Things you believe, but can't prove

Post by Wouter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:22 pm

There's a topic on T-Cell alpha about this and i think it's quite interesting.

Here's what I believe, but can't prove:

1) People who've done sports/been active in their youth will build muscle faster than those who've been couch potatoes when they've been young. More specific:
Those who've done swimming will have stronger and wider shoulders.
cycling => bigger upper legs.
running => smaller overall: smaller bonestructure + less fat
wrestling => strong neck and back muscles
very active (eg. farmer) => very strong overall
And if you've been sedentary you''l have a tough(er) time building muscle and losing fat.

I think this is because of the development of nerves while you're young. Untill a certain age nerves and nervous efficiency is developed very rapidly and once you've got an efficient CNS, you'll be able to develop strength and mass much more easily. When this time is over, you'll have a harder time to develop skills, balance etc.
And when you're young your body is primed to adapt to stress: if you need to use your upper body a lot, then your upper body will become stronger, have denser bones etc.

2) Total body training might be 'better' than body part split training, but I think it's only when you're able to recover from them.
I'll explain: you train your whole body three time in a week with TBT, this means that your whole body will need enough nutrients to recover three times a week.
With body part split training you train your whole body once a week, which means you only need enough nutrients for your whole body to recover once a week.
Result: if you don't eat enough for your whole body to recover three times a week, you won't grow and will be off better with body-part split training.
(this doesn't count for beginners since they should do SS for at least 3 months before doing anything else)

Now it's up to you guys, post your 'beliefs you can't prove'.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:46 am

Well #2 seems testable with trials.

#1 seems difficult from a ethical standpoint, since, in order to eliminate causation from correlation, you'd need to force a randomly selected group of children to be sedentary. I suspect it's more correlative though. People tend to enjoy the things they are good at - kids especially are weird that way.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:03 pm

1) If you don't believe you can accomplish something, you will NEVER be able to.

2) Just because you believe you can, doesn't mean you can. .

3) The mind is the most potent legal anabolic there is. Without a good mind muscle connection, and without thinking about muscle growth, you won't grow as fast as if you ignore it or don't have it.

4) Many, many, many people blame other people's genetics and cry steroids to justify their own lack of effort. And the reason they do this is because they know there are half-assing the pursuit of their goals and feel guilty. So they tear others down to compensate for their own short comings. The look for a reason to feel superior, because they feel inferior.

5) Often, those that don't achieve, are those that don't grow and mature as lifters and people.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 pm

I believe that most of the time pain can go away if massaging the right spot (by finding the trigger point) using trigger point therapy. What is even better is if ART is available. The only time it may not work is with sprains, strains, broken legs, pulled muscles, torn muscles and/or ligaments, etc. The only way this can be proven true is if you research the internet on your pain and try trigger point therapy yourself or go to an ART person.

I also believe chiropractors can fix your poor posture (back pain, one hip higher than the other, one shoulder higher than the other, etc) only with the right chiropractor. There are so many that just want your money that also knows only a couple moves. Mine knows 104+ and he fixed my ankle sprain problem right away and it healed nicely within a couple days after the adjustment...have not needed an ankle brace since. I also have not had back pain since my first session with this guy. I was pretty messed up with 1 shoulder higher than the other, one hip higher than the other, neck pain, back pain, very squrmy, etc. Its also because I used to sleep on my back and its not good. The only way you guys will believe me is if you go see my chiropractor yourself in long beach california. Again, there are a very "few" good chiropractors around. Find out their name, google them, look for reviews on ones around your area, etc.

Let research be your friend! =)

Oh and you can do anything you put your heart into doing..all it takes is practice

The more the time goes on, the longer we live. Soon, we will be living for 200 years before we die.

Age is just a number...some people dont believe it). Age cannot get in your way...thats what I believe.

A majority of people believe theres a GOD and a JESUS, but that has not been proven that there really is one. People believe what their church leader tells them by word of mouth and whats written in the bible and they go by that. There is no proof that there really is one or not other then words of mouth and words in the bible

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm

caangelxox wrote:A majority of people believe theres a GOD and a JESUS, but that has not been proven that there really is one. People believe what their church leader tells them by word of mouth and whats written in the bible and they go by that. There is no proof that there really is one or not other then words of mouth and words in the bible
Which is the same level of evidence as your belief in chiropractic.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 am

-Dysfunction always comes before pain.

Probably provable but i've never went out my way to find out.

-With lifters who are already strong and experienced, I believe the most limiting factor is probably their CNS.

-With lifters who are not that strong or experienced, I believe the most limiting factor is technique.

-I believe if you can't squat low you shouldn't squat heavy, and if you do squat heavy without the ability to squat low, then you're on the road to injury, eventually.

-Everyone should work towards a deep, OH squat with good form. You don't need to train it, but you should be able to do it. You also don't need to stop training until you can do it, just work towards it in some way or another. I would call someone who can do this, 'balanced', and someone who can't, 'limited'.

-In general people press way too much and pull way too little.

-a 1:1 ration of pressing to pulling isn't 'balanced'. 1:2, or 1:3 is more balanced.

-most untrained beginners shouldn't press overhead for a while.

-if 60-ish % of your muscle mass is in your lower body, then how much is in your back? How much of your overall muscle mass does your legs and back account for? Then, how much of your muscle mass is in your chest and arms? Wouldn't it make sense to dedicate 70-80% of your training to your legs and back, then? Normally it's the other way about, basically dedicating 70% of your training volume to aobut 20% of your overall muscle mass...... Something to think about....

I could go on but i'm done....

KPj

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 am

Doing 10-15 mins of aerobics (not necessarily intervals, but the most challenging speed you can) is very beneficial. For instance, running 10 mins all out (but not sprint intervals) will not make you weak and fragile. But I am not a supporter of slow long distance cardio.

Intervals are also very beneficial and everyone should be doing at least them barring some medical condition.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Rucifer wrote: Intervals are also very beneficial and everyone should be doing at least them barring some medical condition.
I do intervals everytime i'm in the gym. Saturday i.... pressed, rested, pressed, rested, pressed, rested....for about 20-30 minutes. Tonight i'll DL, rest, DL, rest....etc etc for about another 30 minutes... I mix it up, too. On my assitance stuff I do more reps, and rest for shorter intervals...

OK i'm being a smart ass but I know what you mean :smile:

KPj

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 pm

I can test that theory at some point, KPj. I kept pretty detailed records of interval treadmill training, and now I've done only resistance training for many months. So, at some point I could see what's happened to my treadmill numbers since then.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:15 pm

KPj wrote:
Rucifer wrote: Intervals are also very beneficial and everyone should be doing at least them barring some medical condition.
I do intervals everytime i'm in the gym. Saturday i.... pressed, rested, pressed, rested, pressed, rested....for about 20-30 minutes. Tonight i'll DL, rest, DL, rest....etc etc for about another 30 minutes... I mix it up, too. On my assitance stuff I do more reps, and rest for shorter intervals...

OK i'm being a smart ass but I know what you mean :smile:

KPj
LOL. Don't get me wrong. I don't place it over strength training. But I view short duration cardio workouts as a complement to strength training, not a hinderance. I don't get as tired as I used too during a longer strength workout. Probably due to some blood regulation or something. But you start doing long distance stuff more and it does get a little out of control...I don't like doing it for more than 15 honestly or I burn out on both.

And plenty of people seem to do some sort of cardio/strength hybrid with dumbbells and lighter weights and whatnot. I am not one for this simply because I think I'd end up whacking myself in the head or something, but kudos to those that do!

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 pm

frogbyte wrote:I can test that theory at some point, KPj. I kept pretty detailed records of interval treadmill training, and now I've done only resistance training for many months. So, at some point I could see what's happened to my treadmill numbers since then.
That actually brings up another belief. Using cardio machines is like using smith or machine weights. I prefer the real thing.

Marnix
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Things you believe, but can't prove

Post by Marnix » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Wouter wrote:Untill a certain age nerves and nervous efficiency is developed very rapidly and once you've got an efficient CNS, you'll be able to develop strength and mass much more easily. When this time is over, you'll have a harder time to develop skills, balance etc.
I can only give anecdotal evidence on this, but here goes:

Both me (21) and my dad (51) began running roughly a year ago. I was always a fatty: I lost ~50 pounds 2 years ago because i started a job, and began running to lose the last bit of fat, and get some general fitness level. Ive never done serious exercise. No resistance work whatsoever. Used to play field hockey, but as lastman. My dad, when he was young, played football (soccer) daily as a kid, and actually played (competitive) league untill he injured his knee. Also, he went through military training. Basicly: his fitness level as a kid was very good, mine was crap.

We both began running from a sedentary state: Office job and uni student. His record: 13 km at 12km/h. Mine: 16km at 8,5km/h. Obviously, due to the age difference, i shouldve advanced alot faster. I didnt though, and i believe it is for exactly the reason you stated. Frustratingly enough, i might add. On the other hand, it only took 3 months of SS to make me stronger than him. Him being my dad, i think we can rule out genetics.

Also: New here, so hi! Longtime reader, youve all been a great help, even though you didnt know it. :wink:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Welcome! Get your dad to join, too. We need reinforcements in the old farts division.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
caangelxox wrote:A majority of people believe theres a GOD and a JESUS, but that has not been proven that there really is one. People believe what their church leader tells them by word of mouth and whats written in the bible and they go by that. There is no proof that there really is one or not other then words of mouth and words in the bible
Which is the same level of evidence as your belief in chiropractic.
I know. But chiropractic is really based on experience, so thats a bit different than the GOD and Jesus subject because you can either see a really good chiropractor that will help you or a really bad one that won't help you. thats a bit different in my opinion. with religion, people believe what they hear and whats explained to them by their church leader from the bible and thats it. at least with chiropractors, there can be proof depending on what the injury is and/or whats going on and what chiropractor you are seeing. but with religion, there cant be any proof. its all what you hear and read in the bible and what your church leader tells you. thats it. thats why there are so many religions around...people dont know what to believe (each church believes they are the way and the other churches are not the way). I stay away from religion now because of that reason.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 pm

caangelxox wrote:
I know. But chiropractic is really based on experience, so thats a bit different than the GOD and Jesus subject because you can either see a really good chiropractor that will help you or a really bad one that won't help you. thats a bit different in my opinion. with religion, people believe what they hear and whats explained to them by their church leader from the bible and thats it. at least with chiropractors, there can be proof depending on what the injury is and/or whats going on and what chiropractor you are seeing. but with religion, there cant be any proof. its all what you hear and read in the bible and what your church leader tells you. thats it. thats why there are so many religions around...people dont know what to believe (each church believes they are the way and the other churches are not the way). I stay away from religion now because of that reason.

I know. But chiropractic is really based on experience, so thats a bit different than the Training and Lifting subject because you can either see a really good chiropractor that will help you or a really bad one that won't help you. thats a bit different in my opinion. with training, people believe what they hear and whats explained to them by their chosen guru from the internet or book and thats it. at least with chiropractors, there can be proof depending on what the injury is and/or whats going on and what chiropractor you are seeing. but with training, there cant be any proof. its all what you hear and read in the books and what your chosen guru tells you. thats it. thats why there are so many workout programs around...people dont know what to believe (each guru believes they are the way and the other training methods are not the way). I stay away from gurus now because of that reason.

:lol: Didn't work perfect, but I just thought it was funny how accurate that paragraph could be if you changed some words around.

People should believe whatever makes their day worth living, and lift however makes them happy... IMO.