Things you believe, but can't prove

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 am

nygmen wrote:
caangelxox wrote:
I know. But chiropractic is really based on experience, so thats a bit different than the GOD and Jesus subject because you can either see a really good chiropractor that will help you or a really bad one that won't help you. thats a bit different in my opinion. with religion, people believe what they hear and whats explained to them by their church leader from the bible and thats it. at least with chiropractors, there can be proof depending on what the injury is and/or whats going on and what chiropractor you are seeing. but with religion, there cant be any proof. its all what you hear and read in the bible and what your church leader tells you. thats it. thats why there are so many religions around...people dont know what to believe (each church believes they are the way and the other churches are not the way). I stay away from religion now because of that reason.

I know. But chiropractic is really based on experience, so thats a bit different than the Training and Lifting subject because you can either see a really good chiropractor that will help you or a really bad one that won't help you. thats a bit different in my opinion. with training, people believe what they hear and whats explained to them by their chosen guru from the internet or book and thats it. at least with chiropractors, there can be proof depending on what the injury is and/or whats going on and what chiropractor you are seeing. but with training, there cant be any proof. its all what you hear and read in the books and what your chosen guru tells you. thats it. thats why there are so many workout programs around...people dont know what to believe (each guru believes they are the way and the other training methods are not the way). I stay away from gurus now because of that reason.

:lol: Didn't work perfect, but I just thought it was funny how accurate that paragraph could be if you changed some words around.

People should believe whatever makes their day worth living, and lift however makes them happy... IMO.
yeah I dont know what to believe either as far as following peoples weight training routines. I am also very picky because if it lasts more than an hour in the weightroom with the routine I am doing, I will change it. and if it messes with my overactive trapz (activates them), I will change it. I just do a lot of research and make my weighttraining routine based on my weaknesses and what I know needs to be strengthen and the basic movements (horizontal push/pull, vertical push/pull, hip dominant, quad dominant, core hip extension, core flexion, core lateral flexion, core rotation, core stability, etc.)

I am more quad dominant than hip dominant, and I want it the other way around. my quads are overactive because I cannot reach my foot with my hand to do the hip flexor/quad wall mobility exercise without my torso being crooked and leaning to the side telling me my hip flexors/quads are tight.

Anyways back on topic....

I believe that no matter how old you are, you can do the same things a 10 year old can do if you keep working at it. The only time you get weaker is if you dont keep practicing. It is true that the older you get, the harder you have to work to stay at the same level your at. I dont believe that age hinders your performance. You do whatever you want to do. nothing can stop you, not even your body or your age. Also losing interest as you get older slows you down too. Nothing in my opinion has to do with age. Its all interest and how you practice and work hard at what you love. If you lose interest and get bored with what your doing (you may or may not notice that its happening), of course your performance will not be as good.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:38 am

frogbyte wrote:I can test that theory at some point, KPj. I kept pretty detailed records of interval treadmill training, and now I've done only resistance training for many months. So, at some point I could see what's happened to my treadmill numbers since then.
They probably won't be good the first few times, but you never know. You need to run on a treadmill to get good at running on treadmills....

In saying that, if you've increased strength, then you pave the way for better endurance, but there's still going to be a period of adaptation (to the activity in general).

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 am

CA, I am an atheist, but I have to say, the benefits of chiropractic therapy have the same evidence as spiritual healing, or the existence of god for that matter. You provide anecdotes, that's it. There are plenty of people who provide the same for god. Actually some apologists come up with some decent arguments. All easily defeated, but they at least provoke some thought.

Now if you state it simply as something you believe, but can't prove, ok.

My answer is easy.

*NOTHING*

That said I think there are some things that are very likely. For example, Wouter's answer number 1. That fits with my observations. So I think that is indeed a valid hypothesis. If you got a good random sample and could show a relationship, you could publish a study and then it would be a theory.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:06 am

Rucifer wrote: LOL. Don't get me wrong. I don't place it over strength training. But I view short duration cardio workouts as a complement to strength training, not a hinderance. I don't get as tired as I used too during a longer strength workout. Probably due to some blood regulation or something. But you start doing long distance stuff more and it does get a little out of control...I don't like doing it for more than 15 honestly or I burn out on both.
My coment was just a tongue-in-cheek/smart ass thing. However, I wasn't referring to strength trainnig vs CV Work. I was referring to 'interval training'. Lifting IS interval training.... I don't mean strength specifically. I mean - Something hard alternated with something easy. That's all interval training is. You could technically view a whole 60 minute lifting session as interval training...

KPj

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 am

KPj wrote:
Rucifer wrote: LOL. Don't get me wrong. I don't place it over strength training. But I view short duration cardio workouts as a complement to strength training, not a hinderance. I don't get as tired as I used too during a longer strength workout. Probably due to some blood regulation or something. But you start doing long distance stuff more and it does get a little out of control...I don't like doing it for more than 15 honestly or I burn out on both.
My coment was just a tongue-in-cheek/smart ass thing. However, I wasn't referring to strength trainnig vs CV Work. I was referring to 'interval training'. Lifting IS interval training.... I don't mean strength specifically. I mean - Something hard alternated with something easy. That's all interval training is. You could technically view a whole 60 minute lifting session as interval training...

KPj
Touche touche...I guess I should have said some shorter intense cardio intervals as well. Not just sprints or runs tho. I am a big fan of a good obstacle course or climbing...practical value in today's society? Not much. But I feel impressed with myself when I can climb up a rope/poll 20 ft high when most of the people in the world probably can't do one pull up :grin:. The day will soon come when I can do this - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pow ... aight.html . I am diverging a little bit as this isn't really cardio intervals anymore...

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:31 am

I'm impressed with myself when I can take my DB's back to the DB rack without having an asthma attack!

I'll need to give those 'Muscle Ups' a try. Forgot all about them. I know they'll be much harder than they look....

KPj

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 am

They'll be harder than they look? Geez, cause already they look pretty hard.
KPj wrote:They probably won't be good the first few times, but you never know. You need to run on a treadmill to get good at running on treadmills....

In saying that, if you've increased strength, then you pave the way for better endurance, but there's still going to be a period of adaptation (to the activity in general).
Yeah I suspect so - in the past I was usually doing interval hills, so my calves were usually kinda giving out first. They're a lot stronger now...

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 am

Muscleups, they actually aren't that hard. They do take a bit of 'getting used" to the balance thing, though. But maybe I'm lucky. When I went through Jr and Sr High School(back in the Dark Ages), they actually taught gymnastics ub PE class (and yes. PE was mandatory back then), and we all practiced muscleups. It was the basic mounting move for the still rings. Guess it just became second nature. The coach would hoist us up, then give us a shove upwards for momentum , and after we got the down we would do a vertical up for momentum, grab the rings pull up quickly, and whip the elbows up for the push upwards.
Tim

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:55 pm

I've only tried muscle-ups on a straight bar. Are they easier or harder to do on rings?

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 am

Rings are probably a bit more difficult. It's the same as BB's vs DB's. On the rings, you have to control them, and keep them from going inward, outward front or back, whereas on the bar, it's stationary, and control isn't the issue.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:35 am

Yes Tim, but you guys also played football with leather helmets, used pig bladders for footballs and the Wide Tackle Six was the preferred defense.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 pm

hoosegow wrote:Yes Tim, but you guys also played football with leather helmets, used pig bladders for footballs and the Wide Tackle Six was the preferred defense.
Punk kid!

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 pm

caangelxox wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
caangelxox wrote:A majority of people believe theres a GOD and a JESUS, but that has not been proven that there really is one. People believe what their church leader tells them by word of mouth and whats written in the bible and they go by that. There is no proof that there really is one or not other then words of mouth and words in the bible
Which is the same level of evidence as your belief in chiropractic.
Well, the preacher and the chiropractor have one thing in common: an interest in money:)
Squeeze life until it bleeds.