H1N1 Vaccination- will it effect my workouts?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

gtjl2007
Rookie
Rookie

H1N1 Vaccination- will it effect my workouts?

Post by gtjl2007 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm getting the shot next week. Should I take some time off from my workouts?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: H1N1 Vaccination- will it effect my workouts?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:46 pm

gtjl2007 wrote:I'm getting the shot next week. Should I take some time off from my workouts?
You might want to get some extra rest the days before if you feel like you're in an overtrained state. Overtraining makes you more susceptible to infections. If not, there shouldn't be a problem.

How old are you, BTW? The H1N1 vaccine is targeted, among other groups, to teenagers and young adults.

gtjl2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gtjl2007 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm 24. I barely made the cutoff.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

<notadoctor>If you're in good shape you're not at risk - let some old granny have a shot from the limited supply of vaccine.</notadoctor>

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:27 pm

frogbyte wrote:<notadoctor>If you're in good shape you're not at risk - let some old granny have a shot from the limited supply of vaccine.</notadoctor>
H1N1 is different from the traditional flu in that it causes serious complications disproportionately to the young, rather than the old. Granny seems to have an immunity to H1N1 - probably because it is similar to a flu strain that infected her years ago.

Jungledoc

Re: H1N1 Vaccination- will it effect my workouts?

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm

gtjl2007 wrote:I'm getting the shot next week. Should I take some time off from my workouts?
No.

Han

Post by Han » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:13 pm

I had it a few weeks ago. Didn't affect me at all.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Aren't the odds of getting a reaction from the vaccine higher than getting the flu itself? lol

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Jebus wrote:Aren't the odds of getting a reaction from the vaccine higher than getting the flu itself? lol
No it's much less.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:59 pm

For some reason I'm more afraid of getting the vaccine than getting H1N1.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Stay away from hospitals and take vitamin D.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm starting to wonder what sort of superbugs we are going to create with all the vaccines we are starting to develop. And why every illness is now a world threat nowadays. It used to be vaccines that were made were made for deadly afflictions, now it seems that we want a vaccine for the slightest thing that could make us sick, therefore never really developing our immune system. I understand the flu is downright dangerous to certain categories of people and not saying some shouldn't get vaccinated, but does anyone ever stop to think about any future consequences of anything anymore?

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:52 pm

"I'm starting to wonder what sort of superbugs we are going to create with all the vaccines we are starting to develop." - Rucifer

I think you're confusing vaccines with anti-biotics. Drug resistant bacteria are a problem, but the flu is a virus.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:53 pm

"And why every illness is now a world threat nowadays." - Rucifer

I blame the media.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Rucifer wrote:I'm starting to wonder what sort of superbugs we are going to create with all the vaccines we are starting to develop. And why every illness is now a world threat nowadays. It used to be vaccines that were made were made for deadly afflictions, now it seems that we want a vaccine for the slightest thing that could make us sick, therefore never really developing our immune system. I understand the flu is downright dangerous to certain categories of people and not saying some shouldn't get vaccinated, but does anyone ever stop to think about any future consequences of anything anymore?
The superbug problem is the result of indiscriminate use of antibiotics, not vaccines. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but are useless against viruses. That's where vaccines come in - a specific vaccine is required for a specific viral infection, like the flu. This year's general flu vaccine will probably be useless against next year's flu. It could even be useless against this year's flu, if the drug companies guess wrong on the flu strain (fortunately, that doesn't happen often).

UPDATE:
Matt Z wrote:I think you're confusing vaccines with anti-biotics. Drug resistant bacteria are a problem, but the flu is a virus.
I see that Matt beat me to the punch