bulking serratus anterior

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

bulking serratus anterior

Post by Gantz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:16 pm

can the serratus anterior really be bulked up with incline shoulder raises? i just don't see how a small muscle such as that can hypertrophy much. i see prominent serratus anteriors on bodybuilders, but i assume that's cause they have a low bf%.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:05 pm

low bodyfat is probably the most important thing, but you can build it up a bit. Shoulder raises, scap push ups will work. There's also a serratus crunch thing that I saw in a T-nation article, can't remember which one though.

Also dumbell pressing will build it up a bit as well.

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:03 am

what kind of dumbbell pressing did you have in mind?

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:14 am

what are the pro's and cons of working the serratus anterior and building it up? can it create a muscle imbalance?

that should always be thought about first before thinking about bulking it up to avoid injury. I want to know the answer to this question myself. small muscles are usually the stabilizer muscles right?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: bulking serratus anterior

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 am

Gantz wrote:can the serratus anterior really be bulked up with incline shoulder raises? i just don't see how a small muscle such as that can hypertrophy much. i see prominent serratus anteriors on bodybuilders, but i assume that's cause they have a low bf%.
I doubt if pro bodybuilders spend much time training the serratus directly. You don't see articles in muscle magazines about serratus training. Prominent serratus development among bodybuilders is due to heavy overhead pressing and shrugging, and low bodyfat percentages. Individual genetics no doubt play a part as well.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Gantz wrote:what kind of dumbbell pressing did you have in mind?
flat, incline, overhead, all types. I read on a t-nation article that only ever pressing with a barbell gives you slightly less ROM, and so someone with an underdeveloped serratus should switch to dumbells for a while

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:54 pm

caangelxox wrote:what are the pro's and cons of working the serratus anterior and building it up? can it create a muscle imbalance?

that should always be thought about first before thinking about bulking it up to avoid injury. I want to know the answer to this question myself. small muscles are usually the stabilizer muscles right?
strengthening your serratus stabilises your shoulder joint. There is no down side; i've never heard of anyone's serratus being too strong.

If you ask me, bulk it up good! It looks amazing when it's built.

Jeannay
Novice
Novice

Post by Jeannay » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:15 pm

ow bodyfat is probably the most important thing, but you can build it up a bit. Shoulder raises, scap push ups will work. There's also a serratus crunch thing that I saw in a T-nation article, can't remember which one though.

Is it that what you meant? (Serratus Cable Crunch?)
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... est_of_abs

Are there any good pics of a visible serratus anterior? I never find this muscle on bodybuilders even though i know where the muscle is

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Search for "serratus pose"

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Jeannay wrote:
ow bodyfat is probably the most important thing, but you can build it up a bit. Shoulder raises, scap push ups will work. There's also a serratus crunch thing that I saw in a T-nation article, can't remember which one though.

Is it that what you meant? (Serratus Cable Crunch?)
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... est_of_abs

Are there any good pics of a visible serratus anterior? I never find this muscle on bodybuilders even though i know where the muscle is
yeah that's the exercise i meant, I've never done it, it's on my "to do list" though. Looks like it would be quite hard to do it in such a way it trains the serratus, but until i've tried it i won't know

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 am

I don't really 'get' the cable crunch for SA.

Anyway, the SA is a very important muscle. Although in isolation, it protracts the shoulder blades, it's real/primary function is to pull the shoulder blades against the rib cage so it's basically intergrated into lots of movements.

Peronally I do a tonne of scap push ups. Always in my warm up and sometimes between exercises.

Easily the most common errors you'll see in scap push ups is the arms bending and especially the belly sagging/lower back arching so keep the arms taut and, squeeze the glutes and brace the abs when you're doing them.

I like DB protractions, too.

Also, push ups with the feet elevated have been shown to get more SA activation so, do push ups and, specifically feet elevated push ups. Use a 'push up plus' technique (full protaction at the top) to emphasise it even more. This is another reason why you're never too good for push ups.

I have quite a well developed SA but i'm not sure I could put that down to any exercise in particular. If I had to guess I would say it was more down to just training properly than anything else. The way I see it is, it'll develop via compounds if it's working properly. The isolation exercises are used just to make sure it's working properly. Some people are completely dormant in the SA.

In terms of seeing it you need to view it like abs - low body fat. Personally you can see mine well before you can see my lower abs. Right now, you can see my top 4 abs "in the correct light" but, when Ilift my arm you can see the SA... Just to give you an idea.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 pm

aye I get fairly hardcore DOMS in my serratus from pressing, I know that DOMS isn't the best indicator, but a combination of DOMS and a well developed serratus tells me mine is working fine, and that's just from compound moves