My Routine for the last month

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

My Routine for the last month

Post by Extremistpullup » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:08 am

Currently I am doing A,B,C, off A,B,C off.....

My goal is to gain muscle, any tweeking I should do for next month.

Back Biceps

Weighted Pull-ups 110 lbs 5 sets of 5-4
Shrugs 425 lbs 5 sets of 8-10
Standing Curls 105 lbs 5 sets of 8
DB Rows 100 lbs 4 sets of 8
Behind the back shrugs 225 lbs 4 sets of 15
DB Bent over Curls 30 lbs 4 sets of 8

Chest Shoulders Triceps

Incline Bench 225 lbs 5 sets of 6
Seated Military Press 135 lbs 5 sets of 8
Skull Crushers 85 lbs 5 sets of 8
DB Incline Flys 60 lbs 4 sets of 8
Front raises 30 lbs 4 sets of 8
Dips Bw 4 sets of 8

Legs
Squats 225 lbs 4 sets of 12
Calf Raises 225 lbs 4 sets of 15
SLDL 225 lbs 4 Sets of 8
Leg Extentions 80 lbs 4 sets of 15 (Tuff Stuff free weight machine)
leg Curls 80 lbs 4 sets of 12 (Tuff Stuff free weight machine)

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: My Routine for the last month

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:18 am

Extremistpullup wrote:Incline Bench 225 lbs 5 sets of 6

Quite frankly, you should be squatting with more weight than you use for the incline press - at least a third more. Your upper body is more developed than your lower body. You're arm curling more weight than you're leg curling.

Try to up your squat and see what happens.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Re: My Routine for the last month

Post by Extremistpullup » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Extremistpullup wrote:Incline Bench 225 lbs 5 sets of 6

Quite frankly, you should be squatting with more weight than you use for the incline press - at least a third more. Your upper body is more developed than your lower body. You're arm curling more weight than you're leg curling.

Try to up your squat and see what happens.
Squat is the same right now as my Inline because I'm doing 6 reps on incline and 12 on squat.

The leg curl is a machine and thats the weight I put on it to make it difficult. Machines with counter weights are not good measurement of strength. Also I am doing the last, after I already did Squat and SLDL.

My goal is mass not how much I can lift.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Those numbers do seem skewed to me as well... if it's working, great, but 110 totals reps of shrugs? Seems like a lot of reps for shrugs.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:40 pm

frogbyte wrote:Those numbers do seem skewed to me as well... if it's working, great, but 110 totals reps of shrugs? Seems like a lot of reps for shrugs.
I could probably do more.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 pm

yesterday for legs I upped the weight

Squats 285 lbs 8,8,8,8,8
Calf raises 265 lbs 10,12,10 (285lbs 10)
Dead Lift 285 6,6,8,8,
Leg Curls 100 8,8,8,8
Leg Extentions 90 8,8,8,8

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 pm

That is better. Now, if you had as many lower-body days as upper-body, it would be a pretty balanced program. And it's nice to see dead lifts (predictable comment from me, I know).

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 pm

@Extremistpullup:

It's counterintuitive, but the best (and simplest) way to gain muscle throughout the body is to squat or deadlift. These exercises, when done heavy enough to be challenging, will trigger the release of testosterone and growth hormone. These exercise-induced hormonal changes make building muscle that much easier.

Don't forget to eat, but try to eat clean. Junk food leads to a junk physique. I've learned that from experience. :wink:

Heavy upper body exercises also cause hormones to be released - but not nearly the same amount that squats or deadlifts trigger. If mass is your goal, you should begin each workout with a big movement like squats or deadlifts, and then work the next largest muscle group (like back), and continue until you get to the smallest muscle group (like biceps).

Your routine is a classic bodybuilder push/pull/legs routine, which is better suited for refining existing muscle rather than building new muscle mass. Your upper body lift poundages are impressive, but it's hard to gain mass with the focus on upper body lifts.

You might want to touch base with MattZ, a member on this board. He also uses a push/pull/legs routine, but he seems to be growing on it.

Good to see that you're keeping your squat/SLDL poundages close - most lifters pound the quads and ignore the hamstrings, which leads to a dangerous muscle imbalance that can affect the knees.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:02 am

Jungledoc wrote:That is better. Now, if you had as many lower-body days as upper-body, it would be a pretty balanced program. And it's nice to see dead lifts (predictable comment from me, I know).
Well for legs I have Thighs hamstings calfs glutes for upper body I have
Biceps triceps shoulders chest lats traps foearms Abs.

So I'm going to have more days for upper body.

I could split my leg into 2 days and add more workouts to each.
maybe

Day 1
Squats
Leg extentions
barbell lunges
Calfs

Day 2
Back Biceps day

Day 3
Leg Curls
DL
SLDL
Calfs

Day 4
Chest Shoulders day

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 am

[quote="Stephen JohnsonYour routine is a classic bodybuilder push/pull/legs routine, which is better suited for refining existing muscle rather than building new muscle mass. [/quote]

Whats a good alternative?

I work a target muscle; then I Target the Synergists next.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Extremistpullup wrote:
frogbyte wrote:Those numbers do seem skewed to me as well... if it's working, great, but 110 totals reps of shrugs? Seems like a lot of reps for shrugs.
Well, personally my best long-term gains have come more in the range of 100 reps for an entire workout. 110 reps just for shrugs may mean you're going to light. But if you're doing heavy deadlift and calf raises, I'd be inclined to eliminate the shrugs, or only do them on occasion.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 pm

frogbyte wrote:
Extremistpullup wrote:
Well, personally my best long-term gains have come more in the range of 100 reps for an entire workout. 110 reps just for shrugs may mean you're going to light. But if you're doing heavy deadlift and calf raises, I'd be inclined to eliminate the shrugs, or only do them on occasion.
for shrugs I think i'm heavy enough 425 lbs 4 sets of 10
275 behing my back for 12

why elimitate them because I do DL and calf raises.
My traps don't contract upwards during DL so It would be like doing shrugs with No ROM and I don't see where your going with calf raises.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm not sure what the big distinction is between front or back shrugs, but 110 reps total is light for a single movement.

I was assuming you were doing standing calf raises holding a weight - if you're doing some sort of machine nevermind on that.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:45 pm

frogbyte wrote:I'm not sure what the big distinction is between front or back shrugs, but 110 reps total is light for a single movement.

I was assuming you were doing standing calf raises holding a weight - if you're doing some sort of machine nevermind on that.
the bar is behind your back vs. in front.

not sure what you mean by light?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 pm

frogbyte wrote:
Extremistpullup wrote:
I found that heavy shrugs vastly improved my deadlift. Not only have my traps responded by growing quite well, it also conditioned my body for handling more weight than I could get up from the floor.