My Routine for the last month

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Your routine is a classic bodybuilder push/pull/legs routine, which is better suited for refining existing muscle rather than building new muscle mass. Your upper body lift poundages are impressive, but it's hard to gain mass with the focus on upper body lifts.
I did okay on one too... :wink:

But yeah, be easy on the burgers...

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Extremistpullup wrote:
frogbyte wrote:I'm not sure what the big distinction is between front or back shrugs, but 110 reps total is light for a single movement.

I was assuming you were doing standing calf raises holding a weight - if you're doing some sort of machine nevermind on that.
the bar is behind your back vs. in front.

not sure what you mean by light?
It might be a lot of weight, so congrats to you and such, but if you're doing 110 reps then it's "light" for you.

I know what you mean by front shrugs vs back, but does it really hit the muscles so differently to warrant doing both every time? Back shrugs are awkward and not a normal functional movement, so I'm just wondering why bother with them at all.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:49 am

Extremistpullup wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:That is better. Now, if you had as many lower-body days as upper-body, it would be a pretty balanced program. And it's nice to see dead lifts (predictable comment from me, I know).
Well for legs I have Thighs hamstings calfs glutes for upper body I have
Biceps triceps shoulders chest lats traps foearms Abs.

So I'm going to have more days for upper body.

I could split my leg into 2 days and add more workouts to each.
maybe

Day 1
Squats
Leg extentions
barbell lunges
Calfs

Day 2
Back Biceps day

Day 3
Leg Curls
DL
SLDL
Calfs

Day 4
Chest Shoulders day
Personally, I think that's pretty good. I'd probably put the leg extensions and curls last, or at least later in the workouts. Some would argue (?Stu?) that you should do accessory work before DL because you won't have much energy for anything else after DL, but I still like to do it first, because it's a priority for me. You could also leave the extensions and curls out completely, since you are doing squats and DLs.

What Stephen meant by "110 is light" is that if you CAN do that many reps, you'd probably benefit from doing fewer at heavier weight. That depends a bit on the intent for that lift. If it is a priority lift, go heavier, cut the volume. If you are treating it strictly as an assistance lift, I think that the high volume is probably OK, although I wouldn't have the patience to do this much. Around 24-30 total reps is probably a good compromise for size and strength, but higher volume is better for the areas where you want to stress endurance. I'm currently doing 10-20 on my priority lifts, as all I really care about is strength.

I think we all understand the difference in how shrugs and behind-the-back shrugs are done; I just don't understand the difference in their benefit, and why you'd do both (or really why you'd do the behind-the-back at all, as it seems like it would be a pretty clumsy exercise to me).

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:13 am

In the days when I used to do shrugs, I always preferred behind the back. They felt more natural. It felt easier to imagine my traps expanding and filling up the room whilst doing reps :smile:

On the upper traps and DL's - Although the traps don't shorten, they're still working very hard. A muscle doesn't need to shorten to contract. They're the main muscle in DL's that's stopping your arms from being ripped out the sockets.... Think of famers walks, too - they hammer your traps but you don't walk with your shoulders shrugged...

KPj

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 am

frogbyte wrote:
Extremistpullup wrote:
frogbyte wrote:I'm not sure what the big distinction is between front or back shrugs, but 110 reps total is light for a single movement.

I was assuming you were doing standing calf raises holding a weight - if you're doing some sort of machine nevermind on that.
the bar is behind your back vs. in front.

not sure what you mean by light?
It might be a lot of weight, so congrats to you and such, but if you're doing 110 reps then it's "light" for you.

I know what you mean by front shrugs vs back, but does it really hit the muscles so differently to warrant doing both every time? Back shrugs are awkward and not a normal functional movement, so I'm just wondering why bother with them at all.
I'm sure if I tryed more then 425 my ROM will become noexistant.
I have a video of it on my youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/extremistpullup

I just started behind the back shrugs just to try somthing new. It hits the muscle from a diffrent angle.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:42 am

Amazing numbers on the pullups! Your username deffinitly suits you.

KPj

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Yea the almost 2x bodyweight pullup is impressive, congrats there. Your ROM on the shrugs though does look pretty low - maybe your shoulders are just built that way, but you might consider fewer reps with more ROM? One of the reasons I stopped doing shrugs was it was always hard to tell if I was doing enough ROM, or if I was sort of cheating by not going high enough. Easier to just hold something heavy for a while, and if your back's straight and your arms don't rip off, you're good.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Extremistpullup wrote:
Stephen Johnson wrote:Your routine is a classic bodybuilder push/pull/legs routine, which is better suited for refining existing muscle rather than building new muscle mass.
Whats a good alternative?.
After looking at your chin-up video, you're the one who should be giving advice, not me! :lol:

All I can suggest for gaining mass is a full body routine, three days a week. You should go heavy on the first day, light on the second and moderate on the third. Eat well but clean, and cut down on cardio if you do more than an hour or two of it a week. Try it for a couple of months and see if works for you.

Other than that, keep up the good work. Semper Fi.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:55 pm

How about this

Day 1:

Weighted Pull-ups 4 sets of 5-4
DB Rows 4 sets of 8
Standing Curls 5 sets of 8
DB Bent over Curls 4 sets of 8
Stiff leg DL 4 sets of 8
Leg Curls 4 sets of 10
Calf Raises 4 sets of 10

Day 3:

Incline Bench 5 sets of 6
DB Incline Flys 4 sets of 8
Skull Crushers 5 sets of 8
Dips 4 sets of 8
Dead lift 4 sets of 8
Calf Raises 4 sets of 15
Leg Extensions 4 sets of 8

Day 5:

Squats 4 sets of 8
Calf Raises 4 sets of 15
Dead Lift
Shrugs
Front raises
Arnold press

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Getting better. Still a lot of little lifts that should be treated as accessory lifts. Pick and choose from among these. Doing them all every time is time consuming, and not the best investment of time and energy. Two kinds of curl?

I see deadlift, which makes my heart glad. However, DL twice in the cycle and squat once seems backward. Many people include DL only once, because it is a pretty demanding lift. Most people can handle squat more than once.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Getting better. Still a lot of little lifts that should be treated as accessory lifts. Pick and choose from among these. Doing them all every time is time consuming, and not the best investment of time and energy. Two kinds of curl?

I see deadlift, which makes my heart glad. However, DL twice in the cycle and squat once seems backward. Many people include DL only once, because it is a pretty demanding lift. Most people can handle squat more than once.
I could make them sets of 3 the two type of curls
First one is standing EZ bar curls
second is this of Arnold
with 35 lbs

I can switch it to Squat twice and DL once.
Last edited by Extremistpullup on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Why not just do one of them for now, then in a few weeks switch to the other for a while? That's just a lot of time to spend on such a small amount of muscle (well, yours is bigger than mine, but it's still a relatively small part of your body :lol: )!

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 am

Extremistpullup wrote:How about this

Day 1:

Weighted Pull-ups 4 sets of 5-4
DB Rows 4 sets of 8
Standing Curls 5 sets of 8
DB Bent over Curls 4 sets of 8
Stiff leg DL 4 sets of 8
Leg Curls 4 sets of 10
Calf Raises 4 sets of 10

Day 3:

Incline Bench 5 sets of 6
DB Incline Flys 4 sets of 8
Skull Crushers 5 sets of 8
Dips 4 sets of 8
Dead lift 4 sets of 8
Calf Raises 4 sets of 15
Leg Extensions 4 sets of 8

Day 5:

Squats 4 sets of 8
Calf Raises 4 sets of 15
Dead Lift
Shrugs
Front raises
Arnold press
If you feel comfortable with this routine, then go with it for 6-8 weeks and see what happens. Everything doesn't have to be perfect from the get-go for you to make progress, And adjustments are easy to make down the road as you get more feedback on how your training is going.

Keeping a training diary, though not essential, is useful in the discovery process of finding what works for you. You might consider Gym Journal for this.