A question about routines

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

alcas
n00b
n00b

A question about routines

Post by alcas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi Sirs, I found out this page and it is really interesting, a lot to learn.

I am in the gym for a couple of years and I will appreciate your thoughts about my routine since I think is a little different about the ones I've read over here:

I workout five days a week and rest the other two in the following way:

Sunday: Biceps and Triceps
Monday: Chest and Back
Wednesday: Legs and Shoulders
Thursday: Biceps and Triceps
Friday: Chest and Back
Saturday: Rest

Next Sunday: Rest
Monday: Legs and Shoulders
Wednesday: Biceps and Triceps
Thursday: Chest and Back
Friday: Legs and Shoulders
Saturday: Biceps and Triceps
Sunday: Rest

... and so on... It should be a three day split routine but for specific muscle groups.

For each muscle I train two different excersice of 4 sets, 10 reps. e.g. Biceps: BB curl and preacher. So each day I do 80 reps for a same muscle.

My goal is to gain strength and a good shape, but not too much volume. My concern is about if I can be overtraining or undertraining.

All your thoughts will be welcome.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Your routine is gonna get torn apart on here. My advice- think bench press, dips, overhead press, chins, and rows for upper body and squat, deadlift, lunge or step up, and calf raise for lower body. Arrange accordingly :wink:

But seriously I'd just do upper/lower (one all upper body day and one all lower body day) each once or twice a week. Or make things simplier and just do a full body workout 2 or 3 times a week.

If looking for general conditioning, drop the muscle group specific workouts. For instance, with bench and shoulder press, you can work chest, shoulders, and tris all easily and modified grips and hand positionings are all the "isolation" work you need. Same with back and bis- rows and chins can do it all. Leg work is real easy though- Squats, deads, and maybe a single leg movement like a lunge along with something for the calfs. After awhile doing this you might consider some power movements, but for now, stick with the BASICS.

nygmen

Re: A question about routines

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 pm

alcas wrote:Hi Sirs, I found out this page and it is really interesting, a lot to learn.

I am in the gym for a couple of years and I will appreciate your thoughts about my routine since I think is a little different about the ones I've read over here:

I workout five days a week and rest the other two in the following way:

Sunday: Biceps and Triceps
Monday: Chest and Back
Wednesday: Legs and Shoulders
Thursday: Biceps and Triceps
Friday: Chest and Back
Saturday: Rest

Next Sunday: Rest
Monday: Legs and Shoulders
Wednesday: Biceps and Triceps
Thursday: Chest and Back
Friday: Legs and Shoulders
Saturday: Biceps and Triceps
Sunday: Rest
I am assuming you like lifting 5 days a week, so I'm going to help you fix your split. Rather than tell you to do full body or something else, I would rather you do what you enjoy, but lets make it more productive shall we?

Here is the deal: if you were developed enough where you really needed an arm day, you wouldn't be able to do chest and back the day after hitting your arms. Well certainly not chest, maybe back.

So I would rather see you do something like a push/pull/legs+shoulders, with the arms paired with either push or pull.

I can go into more detail if you're interested.
My goal is to gain strength and a good shape, but not too much volume. My concern is about if I can be overtraining or undertraining.

All your thoughts will be welcome.
You are more than likely undertraining, because over training is very hard to do, and with that many arm days, you should be plenty rested.

What do you do on chest and back day?

What do you do on Legs day?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 pm

One more thing:

If you want to get stronger as a top priority, you will need to start using heavier weights for less reps.

Find a weight you can only lift 5 or 6 times a set, start there. They add plates to the bar ASAP. You have to work outside your comfort zone to really make progress.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:56 am

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of this has been covered here many times. It would be good if people who are new the forum would read through some old threads before posting. Just a wild new thought that I had.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:03 am

Like you my goal is more towards strength and I don't care much about size.

My 5 day a week routine looks like this:

Day 1: Squats
Day 2: Bench
Day 3: Deadlift
Day 4: Snatch
Day 5: C&J.

Every day starts with a full body warmup. Every workout is 5x5 except the last 2 and it's usually 1-3 reps per set for as many sets as I feel like. If I feel like doing something different or taking a day off, I do it.

Why does it have to be any more complicated than that?

BTW, 80 reps per body part is not strength training, it's not even hypertrophy training, it's endurance training.

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 am

Jungledoc wrote:It's also worth mentioning that a lot of this has been covered here many times. It would be good if people who are new the forum would read through some old threads before posting. Just a wild new thought that I had.
Things like.
isolation exercises are unnecessary, squat and DL is the only thing you need to do, because it releases ungodly amounts of pure testosterone you don't need to workout.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:28 am

Extremistpullup wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:It's also worth mentioning that a lot of this has been covered here many times. It would be good if people who are new the forum would read through some old threads before posting. Just a wild new thought that I had.
Things like.
isolation exercises are unnecessary, squat and DL is the only thing you need to do, because it releases ungodly amounts of pure testosterone you don't need to workout.
While I do agree squat and deadlift are important, I don't think you should do just those two, and why did you quote to say that? :neu:

Extremistpullup
Novice
Novice

Post by Extremistpullup » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 am

Rucifer wrote:
Extremistpullup wrote:
Things like.
While I do agree squat and deadlift are important, I don't think you should do just those two, and why did you quote to say that? :neu:
That you where right ,he would get the same info if he searched it them making a new thread.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: A question about routines

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 am

alcas wrote:I am in the gym for a couple of years and I will appreciate your thoughts about my routine since I think is a little different about the ones I've read over here:
Just out of curiosity - what do your previous routines look like? What successes or failures did you accomplish with them?

alcas
n00b
n00b

Post by alcas » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks everyone for your response.

My previous routine was worse of this one :wink: since I did the same routine but mutiplied by two, 160 reps for every muscle a day. Moreover I almost did not workout legs, so I just trained the upper part of the body. Result: a resonable good shape in the upper but very tiny in the lower. Later I changed to one muscle per day: Chest, Biceps, triceps, back and legs, shoulders. Because of that I decided to change my routine.

Well, for back I do close grip pulldown and bent over row. For Legs Squats, lunge and calf raises.

Nygmen, I am really interested in any detail you can give me

:lol:

[/quote]

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

alcas wrote:My previous routine was worse of this one :wink: since I did the same routine but mutiplied by two, 160 reps for every muscle a day. Moreover I almost did not workout legs, so I just trained the upper part of the body. Result: a resonable good shape in the upper but very tiny in the lower. Later I changed to one muscle per day: Chest, Biceps, triceps, back and legs, shoulders. Because of that I decided to change my routine.
My only advice is for you to take a look at this list of basic routines if you want to make serious progress getting stronger and/or bigger. Your routines, while better than doing nothing, look like the haphazard busywork routines that lifters use to kid themselves that they are working out hard. You don't have to hit each muscle with 160 or even 80 reps to work it hard.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:39 pm

In defense of the new posters, if they do their homework and look at the EXRX beginner's guidelines...they'll end up with something similar to this. And get ripped on here, because most of us have vary levels of use for those routines, ranging from "little" to "none."

The sticky is really the forum's consensus on good places to start, but it doesn't agree with the main site. Hence the new posters coming in and showing the results of their homework...

I try to remember that for a new lifter, all of these threads contain TMI - too much information. More than they can process usefully and boil down to what works for them. It's as helpful as my mechanic telling me to RTFM when I come in with bad brakes. I could learn something, but I still won't know where to start to fix the problem.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 pm

alcas wrote: Nygmen, I am really interested in any detail you can give me
Well I prefer splits to full body, as you seem to too. I enjoy the ability to attack each lift with more power and rest rather than try to scrape together enough energy to do a weeks worth of lifts in one day.

So, If I were you I would do something like I do, :lol:

chest & tri
Back & Bi (a)
Legs & shoulder
OFF
Back & Bi (b)
OFF
RESTART (or legs ONLY again and restart)

This way you are hitting everything at least twice every 5 days except legs. Which are hard to hit often if you are going heavy. In my experience at least.

Things to keep in mind:

1) Try and space out shoulders and chest as far as possible. A lot of people overlap them and that is how you end up in pain.

2) Don't neglect rear delts, everyone does and you shouldn't.

3) Take the off day after legs and before back b. Just like you really shouldn't squat and dead on consecutive days, legs then back will make your back workout suffer because you won't be 100%

4) I like to split up my back into two days for a couple reasons. One being I go heavy, and after three lifts or so I'm spent. Two being it is a majority of your upper body mass, it should be given a majority of attention. Third, I like pulling more.

5) you are sort of a volume junkie, if your goal is strength, you need heavier weights for less reps. And NOT just a weight you can get for 8 and only lift it 4 times. It is supposed to be a weight you struggle to get all 4 reps with.

6) A lot of people find shoulders go with back better than legs, but that is personal preference.

7) I doubt you need an arm day yet, what are your stats (height weight and relative BF, and by relative BF I mean do you have visible abs after lunch, smooth belly, or full on santa clause pot belly)

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:27 pm

pdellorto wrote:In defense of the new posters, if they do their homework and look at the EXRX beginner's guidelines...they'll end up with something similar to this. And get ripped on here, because most of us have vary levels of use for those routines, ranging from "little" to "none."
Point taken. I hope that alcas doesn't take my criticism of his routine personally. I have a bias towards full body routines, but as Nygmen notes, split routines are just as effective in the long run.

It might be useful for alcas to start a training journal and try different routines. Experience will lead him to the routine that's right for him.