How much rest is really needed?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

NightFaLL

How much rest is really needed?

Post by NightFaLL » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm sure certain people recover faster than others, but I've been looking around the site and haven't been able to find anything on it:

Are there any studies done testing optimal recovery times for muscle gains?

Are there any studies like that done on advanced lifters rather than just beginners?

I vaguely remember seeing a study showing that full recovery from intense training can last almost an entire month or something along those lines.

Anyone have any information on the matter?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:47 pm

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Thank you, I'm going to develop my setup using this.

I'm pretty much low tolerance in all of them, so this is going to lower my frequency a bit - but with a full time school schedule that could be both beneficial physically as well as mentally :)

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 am

it says here "upper legs - 5 days" (or 6...or 7) yet starting strength has you squatting 3/7 days

*drops to ground and begins beating it, calling out*

Help me 2pac... so many different ways...

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Robert, that's the difference between a beginner program and an advanced program. Doing too advanced a program is as bad as a program not advanced enough.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

gymnasts hit arms every day and get some pretty good development from frequent exposure, rather than the whole lifting heavy and resting a couple days mindset. I think muscle development is complicated. I think sometimes people are a bit too worried about overtraining and thus actually don't hit the muscles frequently enough (especially the one a week splits). Perhaps a lot of the cautions of overtraining should be more geared to correcting inefficient use of time (can buy diminishing returns more than negative returns).

Also, I've seen some studies that showed hitting a muscle 2/week was significantly better than 1/week. 3/week was marginally better than 2, but not by much.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: How much rest is really needed?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 pm

NightFaLL wrote:I'm sure certain people recover faster than others, but I've been looking around the site and haven't been able to find anything on it:
Stuward gave you a good link, but you might want to consider starting a training diary as well. The more detailed info that you put into the diary (training, cardio, nutrition, rest), the sooner you will find out how much rest you need to have productive workouts.

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Think about recover time like this. I think the body naturally adapts to anything you throw at it over time. Look at guys that are masons dudes that lay bricks are huge their arms are huge vascular and all they do is work them.

A lot of guys that I have seen at the gym have huge arms and tiny legs. They hit their arms three times a week. I see kids all the time in the gym doing arm days. Both biceps and triceps in the same day to get the pumped hi im jacked look at me at the beach look.

I say if you workout three times a week any muscle said muscle will grow and do what is required of it in time. I'm currently hitting my legs twice a week monday and friday so I can hope to see gains there.

I think if you have adequate calories and protein intake recovery is kinda something you don't need to worry about but thats me. Hey I'm not a steroid taking awesome bodybuilder, yet so maybe my opinion isnt that valid...lol

misterweak
n00b
n00b

Post by misterweak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 pm

I think it it really depends on what you are doing. Remember Volume, frequency and intensity all play a part in any work out program. If you are lifting to failure, how close you are coming to your 1 RM, how many different sets of exercises for a body part, etc. are all things that need to be factored in. Olympic weightlifters for example, Lift more frequently than anyone else but generally the work multiple body parts at the same time (and it should be noted squatting is a way of life for Olympic lifters).