Idea I had - Chest exercises

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

NightFaLL

Idea I had - Chest exercises

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 am

So, I'm starting to think that the actual BB bench isn't the best for developing the chest for me. I know many of you are here more for strength than physique, but this is the idea I had and hopefully some of you guys could give me some pros/cons to this:

I do my DB flys as a sort of mix of a press and a fly. As in, the inside of my elbow is about a 105-110 degree angle instead of at a 90 like it would be for a DB bench and my palms are facing inward like a fly.

I'm thinking of completely removing bench on these days and just doing multiple fly variations (incline, decline, flat, cable crossovers) as to focus purely on the chest.

I would then make my arms(bicep/tricep) day have close-grip bench as the beginning exercise and this would be my only bench press exercise.

Does this seem like a bad idea? The only bad thing I can think of is that I wouldn't have a compound lift on my chest day.

Any input? I know it's kind of an awkward idea.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 am

are you also doing rows in your routine? I hope so

and why do you think that the bench press is not the best for developing the chest? what makes you think that? it works the whole chest.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:44 am

Yes, of course. Everything else is extensively covered.

I don't doubt the chest is worked with bench, I'm simply saying if at the advanced level would it make sense to use a hybrid fly/bench press motion with DB's in place of actual bench?

Essentially doing an extremely wide grip bench press(The fly/press hybrid) in place of actual bench press. That way less of the force is put on triceps/anterior delts through the workout - as I work them out separately on other days - and more on purely chest.

Essentially I'm wanting to have the chest be predominantly worked, as I'd want to save my shoulders/triceps for days specifically set up to work them.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 am

There are 3 types of benchers: shoulder, triceps or chest benchers.
Most aren't chest benchers. And if you do develop your chest from doing bench presses, it'll mostly develop the lower part of your chest.
I think the incline bench press is much more proficient at both developing the pecs and develop the chest in a more easthetical way.

And I think this link is something you want to look at.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 pm

i don't get much development in my chest from a barbell either, i get a thousand times more development from a dumbell press.

wider grip, improved ROM, it's all good. I don't know if I'll ever do a barbell bench press ever again.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 pm

oh aye and another good exercise you might want to try is a standing cable chest press, ie standing up and pushing in front of you with cables. Because the cables are pulling back and out it's more work for the chest. I think i got that one from Chad Waterbury who reckons it's great. Only problem is once you get pretty strong, as you already are, it can be hard to get into position to press heavy. Havign said that, some high rep stuff probably wouldn't hurt.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah, getting set up for even cable crossovers is difficult. I'll keep these things in mind.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I don't think flys are very effective. dumbbell chest press is much more effective.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I do machine "bench" (chest press) as a sort of warmup/working set. Then do machine flies. And then machine tricep press. A compound to start. then an isolation for each.

I do 2 sets of 10. I alternate in "pull exercises" with same philosophy: Seated machine row, curls, standing lat straightarm pulldowns.

I use the machines a lot, but would do free if my shoulder felt better.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Ironman wrote:I don't think flys are very effective. dumbbell chest press is much more effective.
This.

I find flies to be more of a finisher or pre-exhaust.

A superset I've found that I have grown to love: Bent over flies followed by incline DB press. Which allows me to really get a good Mind muscle and torch my chest, even at more moderate weight ranges.

And OP: I know a few people that get lessor development from BB pressing, and some that do.

Maybe try moving your elbows around until you find the place where it hits your chest more, and stop a good inch plus from your chest on the bottom, and two or so from lockout. (Just shots in the dark.) Otherwise slam the DBs man.

Oh and get elbow sleeves at the first sign on tendon discomfort.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Idea I had - Chest exercises

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm

NightFaLL wrote:Any input? I know it's kind of an awkward idea.
Give it a shot and see what happens. Experience is the best teacher. If it works out, fine. If not, at least you know what doesn't work for adding size. And you can always switch back from size routines to strength routines if you feel your strength levels falling.

Dumbbell flies have a bad reputation as an exercise in many quarters, but a number of bodybuilders noted for chest development - Bill Pearl and Eddie Robinson, for example - swear by them. Robinson's case is interesting since he has benched over 600# at powerlifting meets, yet claimed that he didn't develop his chest fully until he added flies to his routine.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODJfIJV5bg

This is pretty much dead on how I do my fly/press hybrid. I find it takes the stress off of my elbow/shoulders and puts it more heavily on my chest.

I really feel like it's more of a wide-grip bench/end with fly type motion which is the reason I thought maybe I could drop barbell bench.

If I do decide to keep BB bench in, I'm probably going to switch to a much wider grip (about 3 inches wider on each side, so 6 total) simply because my triceps seem to be the main muscle being when I"m doing that. And I have an arm specific day, so I'd rather they not get any more work than they need.

I think I'm going to give this a try and at the very least, I'll probably just maintain where I'm at. Which while dieting wouldn't be a bad thing.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 pm

nygmen wrote:
Ironman wrote:I don't think flys are very effective. dumbbell chest press is much more effective.
This.

A superset I've found that I have grown to love: Bent over flies followed by incline DB press. Which allows me to really get a good Mind muscle and torch my chest, even at more moderate weight ranges.

And OP: I know a few people that get lessor development from BB pressing, and some that do.

Maybe try moving your elbows around until you find the place where it hits your chest more, and stop a good inch plus from your chest on the bottom, and two or so from lockout. (Just shots in the dark.) Otherwise slam the DBs man.

I haven't had any elbow discomfort, but I'll keep it in mind.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 am

nygmen wrote:
This.

Yea, that is the only time I do flies. When I do these type of supersets, I do the press first, followed immediately by the flies. I think it really only has a place in advanced bodybuilding workouts.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 am

TCO wrote:I do machine "bench" (chest press) as a sort of warmup/working set. Then do machine flies. And then machine tricep press. A compound to start. then an isolation for each.

I do 2 sets of 10. I alternate in "pull exercises" with same philosophy: Seated machine row, curls, standing lat straightarm pulldowns.

I use the machines a lot, but would do free if my shoulder felt better.
what is this "machine" thing you speak of