Best way to work the core?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 pm

A lot of old timers think that the best core exercise is the overhead squat.

I've been doing them over the last couple of weeks, and even with 95-115# they're killing me.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:26 pm

hey bob, I've tried something like what you said about those twists, but on the floor lying supine with bent legs and try to straighten my legs as much as my hamstring flexibility will allow me. the problem is my QL muscle feeling weird on my left side after and then feels like it shorten my right hip. I dont know why..but also my body wants me to sit weird with torso wanting to lean toward my left side. then because of that, I have to do the hip abductor bent knee stretch stretching my left hip abductor trying to get myself back in the correct alignment or my left side will feel weird all the time, and it still does every now and then. I also do hip hikes to help lengthen my left QL.

why do you think that happens to me bob?
Last edited by caangelxox on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Wow to "windshield wipers"... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3489723672 I tried this on a pullup bar, which presumably would be easier than the free chains he was using, and I couldn't get my legs up that high. I'm not sure my body even bends like that.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:02 am

I don't know. Maybe you are weaker on the right side of your body. Just a guess.
I need to try the windshield wipers on that video. I haven't seen that variation before. It looks a lot harder than the version i was taught. The more challenging it gets the more i want to do it! I don't have chains, but i have the Eagle Loops from Ironmind that would probably work the same as the chains.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 am

In my view, I don't and wouldn't recommend any 'core' work which creates movement at the lower spine, particularly flexion. I also hardly ever see a reason to attempt to isolate rectus abdominis (crunches/situps).

The way I see it, the core's primary function is to resist movement - flexion (squats and DL's), extension (rollouts), rotation (pallof press), and also the PNF pattern which would be chops & lifts, the purpose of those being to stabilise the spine whilst a load is moved across the body. I'm also a big fan of various carries, particularly one sided - one armed farmers walks, waiter walks, etc,

Rectus Abdominis contributes greatly to the above, and in my view gets plenty of work. I have various reasons for why I wouldn't do crunches/situps but, most importantly, I don't see any reason to do them in the first place.

As I always say you need to consider what you want to do and why you are doing it and then make sure what you're doing will achieve that.

KPj

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:11 pm

I just do squats, DL's and presses, I'm sure as my weight increases my core will work harder to stabalize, good enough for me.

tyciol
Necromancer
Necromancer

Post by tyciol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:12 pm

frogbyte wrote:Wow to "windshield wipers"... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3489723672 I tried this on a pullup bar, which presumably would be easier than the free chains he was using, and I couldn't get my legs up that high. I'm not sure my body even bends like that.
bob wrote:I need to try the windshield wipers on that video.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 pm

I almost threw up when I saw poly's name come back up. :puke:

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

hoosegow wrote:I almost threw up when I saw poly's name come back up. :puke:
Funny - I didn't realize that this thread is one year old (to the day) until you brought it up. I thought that Poly had come back :lol:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 am

OK, well (not to brag, but...) I immediately thought "some newbie has gone and dug up an old thread of Poly's."

Haffy13
Novice
Novice

Post by Haffy13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:44 am

Here are two good articles. I think the one from T-nation describes things best.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... training_1

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/situps-are-dead/

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 am

Haffy13 wrote:Here are two good articles. I think the one from T-nation describes things best.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... training_1

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/situps-are-dead/
Yep. They are good. But once a thread is so old, it would be nicer for you to just start a new thread. Those of us who were around when it was started have (shall we say?) less than happy memories of the OP.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:40 am

I argued with him quite a bit, but I think I tolerated him more than most. Tim was real close to banning him.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 am

I hated him, he gave dangerous advice to people and started arguments just for the sake of it. Imagine having nothing better to do then start fights on an internet forum? Quite sad really.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 pm

robertscott wrote:I hated him, he gave dangerous advice to people and started arguments just for the sake of it. Imagine having nothing better to do then start fights on an internet forum? Quite sad really.
Really? You're sad.

and your dog is ugly.