Does anyone else find it hard to meet other inshape guys?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Does anyone else find it hard to meet other inshape guys

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 am

nygmen wrote:Forgot which board I was on for a second;

OP:

Good friends are hard to find, and you aren't being one if you honestly see yourself as this much better than the kids you hang out with.

I'm 235lbs @ 6'0" with abs showing, and my buddy is 240lbs and has a massive gut. Trust me, the way we look has never, nor will it interfering with the fact I would lay down in the street for him. Me and this kid are like brothers, and he could balloon up to 400lbs and i could look like Dexter Jackson, and the thought would never cross my mind to give up what some people never find because of the way either of us looks.
Great post.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:17 am

NightFaLL wrote:Unless you're training at home, the idea of not putting clips on the bar is idiotic and anyone working out in a public gym is a retard for doing such things.
This is a pretty close to flaming. As the parent and very defensive dad of a retarded child, I get pretty angry over the use of the term "retard" as a pejorative. Far better to just say that you don't like doing that than to call people names.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:10 am

Jungledoc wrote:
NightFaLL wrote:Unless you're training at home, the idea of not putting clips on the bar is idiotic and anyone working out in a public gym is a retard for doing such things.
This is a pretty close to flaming. As the parent and very defensive dad of a retarded child, I get pretty angry over the use of the term "retard" as a pejorative. Far better to just say that you don't like doing that than to call people names.
I apologize for that, wasn't the intention. Poor word choices.

I just think there is absolutely no reason for not using clips. None. Not doing it is simply causing danger to others and is irresponsible.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 am

:twisted:
Last edited by xshawnxearthx on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

I'm very proud of myself for not making a gay dating website joke. I must be getting soft in my old age.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm

NightFaLL wrote:I just think there is absolutely no reason for not using clips. None. Not doing it is simply causing danger to others and is irresponsible.
Much better. Thanks.

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:27 pm

I think you need to be a little on the self-centered side to train seriously in the gym. Over the years, I've had gym partners and seen the come and go. It only works if you and your partner have similar goals and an equal amount of discipline. I enjoy the social aspects of the gym and swapping some lifting info., but when it's my time to lift, stay out of my way, please, and have a routine.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 am

Yeah, you have to train hard to make progress - but this isn't some elitist sport and people saying some of these things makes me realize why there's such a negative stigma in the media about bodybuilding/weight training to begin with.

I'll train with a fat guy, skinny guy, female, whatever... I'll stop right before I start my set to help spot someone if they need it.

People need to lighten up. All that stress/tension has been shown in studies to increase cortisol levels, which isn't a good thing if you want to build muscle. :P

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 am

Nightfall, I think you hit on a good point. If you're training for elite competition, that's one thing, otherwise your health is top priority and that means you need to look at your attitude.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 am

I personally love when people who aren't quite caught up with me train with me.

Of course, my dream job is to be a S&C coach on an NFL team or at a major university, so helping people train is something I enjoy. I know others wouldn't be the same way, but at least be respectful :[

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 am

:sad: I'm fat.

I'm going on a little rant here. I don't train with anyone. I don't like training with anyone. I enjoy the occasional training with others, though.

I don't train with anyone because I don't have anyone who has close to the same goals as I do at my base gym. I've had people occasionally try to train with me, but they usually quit within a week or two. Or the don't show up. Or they are constantly late. Or they don't listen. I semi-trained with a very talented female powerlifter one time. She helped me with my form and gave me tons of advice, that I took. I haven't seen her back at the gym since her last meet last July. I'd train with her again in a heartbeat. She knows more and I could learn from her. Most of the people who have tried to train with me don't know squat and won't listen. Hopefully this isn't coming across too arrogant.

When I do occasionally train with others, I do exactly what they do. It is a fun workout because it is completely different than what I do. By the way, women for the most part are better training partners. They usually have impeccable form and they don't let their egos get in the way. They smell better too (creepy? :lol:).

I don't lift with any of my friends. I like them for who they are, not what they are. I do have gym friends who I occasionally shoot the bull with or will run into at the bar, but we don't hang out.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am

hoosegow wrote::sad: I'm fat.
And i'm small :cry:

I've even been called 'baby gap' by a guy much bigger than me who trains with occasionally, you know, when he feels like mocking someone.

We should hook up and get a lift in and bask in how much we both suck at life.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:04 pm

and I'm skinny! All of a sudden the forum's turned into a support group

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm

The high school kids at my gym bench what I squat and squat what I deadlift!

I prefer to train on my own, but the occasion sessions where I work in with a group is a nice break.

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:38 pm

I have never had the opportunity to work out with anyone....can't say if I'd like it. <shrug> It would be nice to have a spot from time to time though.....