Broken Index Finger - Question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Broken Index Finger - Question

Post by ellerbus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

I recently broke my index finger and was wondering how many of you have worked out with a broken finger ... specifically the tendon that connects to the distal phalanges still has a little chunk of bone stuck to it. I was going to continue working out with just Squats, Hypers, and Situps (Mon, Wed, Fri style). Since it seems most everything else requires a grip of some sort (I don't see getting much of a grip w/o an index finger). The doctor didn't put any limits on me, other than wearing a splint 24/7 for 6 weeks, and even encouraged me to continue typing like normal (I program for a living).

Ultimately I was wondering how many of you have been in the same situation, and what did you stay away from and what did you continue?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

I have no advice for an index finger, but I recently screwed up my right thumb pretty bad. I have minimal grip with my right hand, though it is getting better. I just used a strap to help me and didn't have any problems. As for bench and overhead press, I use a suicide grip most of the time. I don't think you will have much of a problem with that, either, though you might not want to go super heavy. About the only thing I can't really do is deadlift (admittedly it is an excuse not to deadlift). Try it and I think you will see that you won't have much of a problem.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:45 pm

I broke the bony attachment for the thumb tendon in college. It has always been weak since. think that I should have taken it easier on it and tried to get a better healing. that said...finger is simpler.