Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resistance training/aerobics question

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi folks,

I haven't posted in a few years as I have a bad back. Now it's better, so I'm using the same old (POC) Weider Advantage with some dumbells, and I'm 62.

I have to walk my dog for about 45min. each morning, and after that, I work out on the weider, (M-W-F) then do about 30 min. on the recumbent bike after the workout.

My question is: Is it ok to walk (nothing real fast, but not slow either) before the workout, then do the bike 30 min. after?

In other words, the workout should not last more than one hour, but does that include the aerobics too? Also, I have to add that if I don't do the exercise in the mornings, I don't have the energy in the evenings etc. Thanks,

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

The 1 hour is a guideline to avoid cortisol buildup. It's dependent on how intense your workout is. If your walk is not strenuous it shouldn't interfere with your workout at all. I wouldn't count that in your hour. Still, I see no benefit from the bike. The walking and resistance training is sufficient.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 pm

stuward wrote:The 1 hour is a guideline to avoid cortisol buildup. It's dependent on how intense your workout is. If your walk is not strenuous it shouldn't interfere with your workout at all. I wouldn't count that in your hour. Still, I see no benefit from the bike. The walking and resistance training is sufficient.
Thanks Stuard,

Very glad to hear that the walking is ok before the workout, as it seems to be a good warm up. The reason I do the 30 min. on the Recumbent is because thats the only time in the week that I get myself simi out of breath. Seems to add to my stamina like running used to.

Also, I forgot to add that I'm 40 lbs. over with high triglycrides. I'm eating clean, and have lost about 10 to 15 lbs. so far. I could do the bike on off workout days if that would be better, or does it matter?

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm

anzafrank wrote:
stuward wrote:The 1 hour is a guideline to avoid cortisol buildup. It's dependent on how intense your workout is. If your walk is not strenuous it shouldn't interfere with your workout at all. I wouldn't count that in your hour. Still, I see no benefit from the bike. The walking and resistance training is sufficient.
Thanks Stuard,

Very glad to hear that the walking is ok before the workout, as it seems to be a good warm up. The reason I do the 30 min. on the Recumbent is because thats the only time in the week that I get myself simi out of breath. Seems to add to my stamina like running used to.

Also, I forgot to add that I'm 40 lbs. over with high triglycrides. I'm eating clean, and have lost about 10 to 15 lbs. so far. I could do the bike on off workout days if that would be better, or does it matter?

Frank
You know that high triglycrides are caused by carbs, right?
Biking on off-workout days might be slightly better. Try to make it a sprint type workout if you're able.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm

stuward wrote:
anzafrank wrote:
Thanks Stuard,

Frank
You know that high triglycrides are caused by carbs, right?
Biking on off-workout days might be slightly better. Try to make it a sprint type workout if you're able.
Stuward,

Sorry bout misspelling you're mame. I'm seeing an indocrinoligest about my triglycrides and hypothyroid problems. Too many beer drinking years have cought up with me. The doc. has got me on meds for both problems, and if I din't get my weight off through diet and exercise, she is going to put me on diabetes meds. Don't want that, so I'm trying to turn things around. Very few carbs. The meds for triglycrides take a lot of energy out of me, and have for a long time. This is nobodys fault but mine, as I'm the one that dug the hole.

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:04 pm

A few sites you should read:

http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/di ... nean-diet/
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
http://www.paleonu.com/

Specifically: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/card ... nsumption/

My name is Stuart Ward, and I go by Stu. You can spell it any way you want.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 pm

stuward wrote:A few sites you should read:

http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/di ... nean-diet/
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
http://www.paleonu.com/

Specifically: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/card ... nsumption/

My name is Stuart Ward, and I go by Stu. You can spell it any way you want.
Thanks for the links Stu,

Interesting reading. My current diet is close to the Mediterriean diet, minus the dairy and potatos.

You said try to do my workout like a sprint. Were you talking about the recumbent, or the workout its self? It's hard to fast change the plastic rods. Thanks,

Frank
Last edited by anzafrank on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 pm

The bike. Try to elevate your heart rate for a minute or two and then let it recover and repeat a few times. Gradually increase the intensity. You will get out of breath and uncomfortable so you want to progress gradually. This type of training will improve your cardiovascular system much more effectively than traditional training. Do it only twice a week. You need time to recover from this. That with your walking and resistance training will improve your health.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 pm

stuward wrote:The bike. Try to elevate your heart rate for a minute or two and then let it recover and repeat a few times. Gradually increase the intensity. You will get out of breath and uncomfortable so you want to progress gradually. This type of training will improve your cardiovascular system much more effectively than traditional training. Do it only twice a week. You need time to recover from this. That with your walking and resistance training will improve your health.
Stu,

Thanks very much for the advice on the bike! I had no idea that I should only do it twice per week. I have been bumping up the intensity for about one minute (feels kind of scary) a few times per 30 min. bike workout, in hopes of getting more out of it, but didn't know for sure if I should. Now I know. Thanks!

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 pm

The walking gives you the everyday low intensity long duration workout which is important in itself. The high intensity stuff doesn't have to be often. Recovery is very important as you need to give your body time to adapt to the stress.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:10 am

stuward wrote:The walking gives you the everyday low intensity long duration workout which is important in itself. The high intensity stuff doesn't have to be often. Recovery is very important as you need to give your body time to adapt to the stress.
Stu,

I have no energy after my walking and or workout, and I think it's because I am on triglycerides lowering meds, and it seems like it's a bit hard to recover from one days exercise to another. My legs are a bit tired from the previous days walking, and i've been walking every day for two years. Of course, I could have lost my weight, and gotten off the meds, but I didn't, and now I pay the price. Smart huh? No more!

My question is: I stopped even working out my legs, as they are tired from the walking seven days per week, (can't cut down on that because of the dog) but i'm wondering if I should only workout my upper body twice per week? If my legs are not recovering quite right, maybe the upper needs more time to recover also?

Also, because of my bad back, I started using very light resistance, and doing 20 reps/3sets in hopes of protecting my back, and loosing weight. That sound ok?

Now I understand why you guys like free weights. You get full range of motion. Not so with the weider. Sorry for the "gone with the wind" questions. Thanks,

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:14 pm

I think the answer is to get off the meds by fixing your diet. Recovery is paramount. How's your sleep? There's no point to working out if it's making you weaker.

Walking is not a substitute for leg training. You will still want to work out your legs at least once a week. Three times a week may be too much for your upper body. Recommendations of 3 heavy days a week for beginners don't apply to older folk. Training age makes a difference and so does actual age. I only train heavy once a week and do light training more frequently, push ups and chin ups almost every day with occasional medium workouts. Everyone is different so you have to go with a tempo that you can sustain.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:00 pm

stuward wrote:I think the answer is to get off the meds by fixing your diet. Recovery is paramount. How's your sleep? There's no point to working out if it's making you weaker.

Walking is not a substitute for leg training. You will still want to work out your legs at least once a week. Three times a week may be too much for your upper body. Recommendations of 3 heavy days a week for beginners don't apply to older folk. Training age makes a difference and so does actual age. I only train heavy once a week and do light training more frequently, push ups and chin ups almost every day with occasional medium workouts. Everyone is different so you have to go with a tempo that you can sustain.
Stu,

My sleeping is not real good at times. I think it might be because of the hypothyroid problem even though i'm on meds for it.

Two years ago when I was posting questions about workout frequency, (I was 60) and the folks here were saying that I need to start off with 3 times per week, then later to switch to twice per week. I was thinking at the time that 3 times per week was too much for a 60 year old. I'm glad you streightened that out!

I'm even thinking about doing resistance training once per week, but maybe twice per week might be more beneficial? Better to loose weight?

The advice about only one heavy day per week is very helpful to me, also working out my legs once per week is VERY helpful. I'm not hitting anything real hard for fear of my back. I'm just happy I can work out at all.

Also, I hope that if there are other people with health problems reading this thread, it can be of benefit to them. For younger people who drink too much, maybe they can learn from my mistakes. It really kicks your [email protected]@t later in life! Thanks for the great advice again.

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Frank, don't neglect your back. I'm not saying to do heavy deadlifts but do something that will strengthen it from whatever level you're at. Do light good mornings or RDLs with a straight back.

Like this but using your dumbbells.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... dlift.html

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:29 pm

stuward wrote:Frank, don't neglect your back. I'm not saying to do heavy deadlifts but do something that will strengthen it from whatever level you're at. Do light good mornings or RDLs with a straight back.

Like this but using your dumbbells.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... dlift.html
Stu,

I would really be flirting with it by doing GM or RDLs! The VA still tells me not to work out. Just walking, period. I have four herniated disks from being rear ended five years ago. They are healing now, but I'm very much afraid to push it.

I have been trying very light weight rows, only one set, and only once per week. I'm thinking about doing the same with back extentions to see if I can even do them without hurting the old back. I still have a little pain in the center of my back, so I have to be VERY careful.

I'm glad you mentioned the back. I'm going to do a little back work today with my workout. I can't tell you how careful I have to be with my wonderful back. Not fun at all, but I'm real happy that I can just work out. Thanks,

Frank