Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Ran
Rookie
Rookie

Cannot do squats

Post by Ran » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 am

Hi,

I am following Starting Strength as advised by this forum and already can feel an increase in strength. But of late, squatting has become a problem. After every session of squat, I get a bad pain in my knees which last for 2 days and by that time my next workout day arrives( I train 3 days a week). Wearing knee caps didnt help either. So I tried to replace squatting with one legged leg press, but that didnt help either. In fact leg preess seemed to put more preassure on knees and the pain was more. Now I am doing double legged presses with much less weight but I am sure that is not getting me anywhere. What do I do? Do I need to see a doctor to evaluate my knee situation? I am terribly dissapointed for missing the squats which I loved doing.

Btw, the routine I follow is this:

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:58 am

How deep are you squatting?

Where and how did you learn to squat?

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:31 am

Jungledoc wrote:How deep are you squatting?

this

and if your knees go over your toes odds are you're going to have issues with your knees.

also, some people just can't squat 3 times a week. i tried it, i was devastated by it. if i squat once a week, my knees are great.

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:42 am

xshawnxearthx wrote:

this

and if your knees go over your toes odds are you're going to have issues with your knees.

also, some people just can't squat 3 times a week. i tried it, i was devastated by it. if i squat once a week, my knees are great.
About that knees over toes thing - how is that even possible without going up on your toes when squatting? As far as my squatting experience goes, if my knees go further than my toes without me going up on my toes in the hole, I'd fall over.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm going with poor technique as well. You could also be collapsing in an effort to cheat as well.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:18 pm

You are supposed to push your butt back like you are going to push someone out of the way using your butt. Do glute bridges, clams, glute activation work before you squat. and if your knees are bothering you, massage your TFL because that may be overactive and may be a trigger point or it could be somewhere in the hip flexors. massage both with a little ball

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Try changing your stance and/or bar placement. Don't let your knees come together when you squat, and don't bounce at the bottom.

"As far as my squatting experience goes, if my knees go further than my toes without me going up on my toes in the hole, I'd fall over." - IceDane

You should be driving through your heels, not coming up on the ball of your foot.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:51 pm

the only problem I have with any kind of squatting is weight shifting more towards one side instead of evenly. I think that also has to do with the glutes firing, one glute firing more than the other

bob

Post by bob » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Is the bar balanced evenly on your traps below your neck?

Peter Rouse
Novice
Novice

Post by Peter Rouse » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:46 pm

A few solutions

Learn to squat from someone who knows what they are doing

Change to front squats

Change to Bulgarian Squats

Peter Rouse
Novice
Novice

Post by Peter Rouse » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 pm

xshawnxearthx wrote:

this

Try squatting ass to the floor without the knees going over the toes - this is not the problem.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:58 pm

You can try one-leg exercises, but not with any machines, just do lunges with dumbells.

Oh and have you actually read starting strength? If not, then do so.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 am

Peter Rouse wrote:A few solutions

Change to front squats

I think front squats is harder and more challanging than back squats. if this person cannot do a back squat correctly, he/she has a good chance of getting hurt with a front squat. also I cant do a front squat myself without the bar going up and down instead of steady like a table on my shoulders using a cross grip because my hips don't want to squat down evenly. and it feels like the bar is going to come off my shoulders and it feels like I have to shrug them to keep the bar on my shoulders. I want to do the wrist grip instead, but my wrist flexibility sucks and the wrist strength isnt there to hold a 45 lb bar like the cross grip can

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:14 am

Matt Z wrote:Try changing your stance and/or bar placement. Don't let your knees come together when you squat, and don't bounce at the bottom.

"As far as my squatting experience goes, if my knees go further than my toes without me going up on my toes in the hole, I'd fall over." - IceDane

You should be driving through your heels, not coming up on the ball of your foot.
I had a feeling that would be misinterpreted. What I'm saying is that I find it impossible at all to make my knees go further out than my toes, without going up on the balls of my feet. I don't see how it is possible to do with your heels firmly on the ground, without losing the balance.

Peter Rouse
Novice
Novice

Post by Peter Rouse » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 am

caangelxox wrote:
Peter Rouse wrote:A few solutions

Change to front squats

I think front squats is harder and more challanging than back squats. if this person cannot do a back squat correctly, he/she has a good chance of getting hurt with a front squat. also I cant do a front squat myself without the bar going up and down instead of steady like a table on my shoulders using a cross grip because my hips don't want to squat down evenly. and it feels like the bar is going to come off my shoulders and it feels like I have to shrug them to keep the bar on my shoulders. I want to do the wrist grip instead, but my wrist flexibility sucks and the wrist strength isnt there to hold a 45 lb bar like the cross grip can
This is usually due to limited thoracic mobility.

People are far less likely to hurt themselves on the front squat for so many reasons.