Cannot do squats

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 am

They are fun, but I'm not sure they are worth the risk-reward (for people that have pain). I think it's possible for you to have pain even if using proper form. And if it is "threading a needle" in terms of the subtlety of form needed to avoid that pain, maybe still worth skipping an exercise that is so easy to do wrong.

You might try squatting well short of parallel, try the Smith with feet far forward (sitting down in a chair, having a slight lean back into the structure) or try leg extensions.

The important thing is to do exercises that build your muscle without hurting your joints.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:19 am

ApolytonGP wrote:They are fun, but I'm not sure they are worth the risk-reward (for people that have pain). I think it's possible for you to have pain even if using proper form. And if it is "threading a needle" in terms of the subtlety of form needed to avoid that pain, maybe still worth skipping an exercise that is so easy to do wrong.

You might try squatting well short of parallel, try the Smith with feet far forward (sitting down in a chair, having a slight lean back into the structure) or try leg extensions.

The important thing is to do exercises that build your muscle without hurting your joints.
Squatting "well short of parallel" is a pretty reliable way to hurt your knees. You don't need to "ATG" but go at least to parallel.

Apolyton, because you have issues with your knees is not a reason to tell people in general not to squat.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 am

I am not telling people "in general" not to squat. :sad:

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Many of us with joint pain find that exercise, and squatting specifically, helps in managing the pain, probably due to increased blood flow to the effected areas. I suppose it depends on what causes the pain but in general, the exercise has a positive effect. If a particular exercise makes the pain worse, then by all means, try to find something that works better. Of course any new activity will cause temporary pain while you adapt to the new stimulus. One has to guard against overreacting to this.

Ran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ran » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:41 am

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed post, had a tooth extraction ( a really bad one) and was confined to bed for most of the last 3-4 days. I even missed the gym since last Wednesday. :sad:
hoosegow Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you kind of falling forward or doing a semi-goodmorning? I'm not sure I'm understanding
I was not falling forward at least earlier when the torso formed a narrower angle, but this time I may be going forward a bit in my effort to rise with my butt.

But again doc says this is not the way. I guess I am little confused right now. Last night I was watching Arnold sqaut in Pumping Iron where he seemed to be leaning forward a bit.
ApolytonGP Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are fun, but I'm not sure they are worth the risk-reward (for people that have pain). I think it's possible for you to have pain even if using proper form. And if it is "threading a needle" in terms of the subtlety of form needed to avoid that pain, maybe still worth skipping an exercise that is so easy to do wrong.
You may have a point there. Reading all these I am kind of confused now and thinking of giving up squats for the time being (till I get someone knowledgable to coach me) and do one legged presses instead. After all they also promote Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy resulting in semi angular and sometime direct visual perception from members of the opposite sex. :wink:

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:09 pm

stuward wrote:Many of us with joint pain find that exercise, and squatting specifically, helps in managing the pain, probably due to increased blood flow to the effected areas. I suppose it depends on what causes the pain but in general, the exercise has a positive effect. If a particular exercise makes the pain worse, then by all means, try to find something that works better. Of course any new activity will cause temporary pain while you adapt to the new stimulus. One has to guard against overreacting to this.
+!

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:32 pm

stuward wrote:Many of us with joint pain find that exercise, and squatting specifically, helps in managing the pain, probably due to increased blood flow to the effected areas. I suppose it depends on what causes the pain but in general, the exercise has a positive effect. If a particular exercise makes the pain worse, then by all means, try to find something that works better. Of course any new activity will cause temporary pain while you adapt to the new stimulus. One has to guard against overreacting to this.
yeah that was a good post. I think i remember Tim saying something a while back about exercises helping his hip

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:52 am

robertscott wrote:
yeah that was a good post. I think i remember Tim saying something a while back about exercises helping his hip
Absolutely. I do a complex every morning to help get flexibility and ease pain issues. You just have to be judicious about it. With my hip, I have osteoarthritis, and some displasia going on, so when I'm warmed up and feeling my oats, I have to kill the urge to throw a ton of plates on there and try maxing. That would be counterproductive to say the least. Just respect your limits if you do have some issues.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:34 pm

I didn't say that you can't lean forward. You have to find the angle that is right for you. I did say that the butt shouldn't start rising faster than the shoulders.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:27 am

People just need to learn to squat properly.... You technically put yourself 'at risk' everytime you go to the toilet, too. It's a natural 'real life' movement.

I don't really like blanket statements about depth. It's rare that you find someone un trained who can squat below parallel with good form. I agree completely that everyone should 'have the ability' to squat deep but not until they can do it safely. I suspect that most untrained people can't do it. I deffinitly don't come across many who can, it's almost always something I need to progress people to.

Some people also need to sort some issues out before they start squatting. DL variations are a safer place to start. Again, anything with a vertical shin. Keeps stress off the knees whilst strengthening the glutes and hamstrings. After some time doing this, you end up in much better shape to start squatting again. If you try and get down to a depth that you're not capable of, then yes, you're going to hurt.

I still think this is a case of glutes and hamstring weakness. Smith machine squatting is not easier on the knee but in ApolytonGP's case he can probably keep better alignment/form when compared to free squatting hence it feels more comfortable. In my mind the smith is doing what the glutes and hammies should be doing (allowing him to sit back).

KPj