Akiles injury stopped my daily walking

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Akiles injury stopped my daily walking

Post by anzafrank » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 am

I'm 62, and walk about 45 to 70 min. per day. I was feeling a little tight in my right calf, so I stretched it out a bit longer than normal.

Can stretching a little too long cause this problem, and does it take a long time to heal? I did this several days ago. Thanks,

Frank

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:32 pm

I suppose if you stretched it too hard you might cause a tendinitis, but it seems unlikely. More likely just doing too much too fast.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Jungledoc wrote:I suppose if you stretched it too hard you might cause a tendinitis, but it seems unlikely. More likely just doing too much too fast.
Thanks Doc,

Been walking every day for more than two years, wasn't pushing it at all, and it just came out of the blue, after I stopped to stretch. Had to sort of limp back home. Feels like I got kicked just above the heal. I wonder if stretching it now would help, or hurt? Also been stretching every day for a few years.

Frank

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Be very gentle with it for now. Try to do active ROM without adding stretch, that is, move your foot around, but don't do very much to pull the foot up into dorsiflexion using your hands or doing "runners stretches" at a wall, etc.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:21 am

maybe you pulled something or strained the ankle. When I messed up my ankle, I think it was an ankle sprain..at least that is what my chiropractor told me and bones were popped out of place. when he was putting my ankle back in alignment, I heard these loud pops of relief. then my ankle healed correctly. I did not need an ankle brace anymore for sports and I was able to go back to dancing fine, but I still needed to regain strength back in my ankle now, which it doesnt bother me at all anymore or achy at all. Feels like a normal ankle now. I did balancing exercises, calf raises (Body weight), and now I'm fine.

with you...a total different situation. mine was first felt in my achiles tendon and then it went into my ankle (outside ankle bone) swolled up and it got weak.

to let u know what really happened..I felt a crunching sound in my achiles tendon a few times after my first 2 classes of beginning dance class (learning how to dance and not used to not wearing shoes, so my feet were weak) and I felt a crunching sound in my achiles tendon (the tendon right above your heel between your heel and calf that feels like a vertical bone) and there was tender pain for a couple seconds and then it went away. then it stayed tender, probably a strain at first or could be something else. and then I went to youtube trying to find a video on how to correct my ankle alignment because something wasnt right because if I heard a crunching sound, something probably came out of alignment. then it swolled up.

and never got better in a week. had to wait a week to see my chiropractor (works on dancers and full body adjustments..lower/upper extreminist doctor) and I had to wear my ankle brace when playing tennis and also softball..it was weak as heck (could not move side to side very well without the brace). then after the chiropractor adjustment, I did not need the brace anymore..but I did need to straigthen my ankle to get it back normal again and that took a while.

one thing to not do is wear an ankle brace because that actually weakens your ankle. it does provide stability while you are waiting for your appointment with your doctor to get the ankle back in its proper alignment, but thats about it. After you get it back in alignment to heal correctly, you have to straighthen in. I had to go to the chiro again in 2 weeks after the adjustment cause it slightly went out of alignment again in a game due to not strong enough yet and stepping on uneven surface at one of the softball fields.

havent had a problem since. thats my story of my ankle. you may have strained in and went to hard when stretching. You can strain any muscle by stretching too hard/too far. strains I don't think need chiro adjustments..I think you'll be okay in a few days or so depending on how bad it is.

dont do any stretching for a while on your calf and let it heal

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:24 pm

doc-caangelxox

Thanks for the advice about not stretching the akilies, as I have been doing light streching in the morning in hopes that it would help. Bad idea.

As far as the ankle, I'm not sure about that one. When walking that day, I did the stretching against a large pine tree, and there was a sloping dirt mound around the base, so when I brought my feet behind me, it was a much steeper angle than doing a runners stretch against a wall, and I held it for 50 sec. instead of 20.

Also, I put both feet behind me at the same time to save time having to stretch one at a time. I'm guessing thats not a good idea? Thanks caangelxox and doc for taking the time to post.

Frank

PS The akiles is sore to touch.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 pm

have you ever watched this video by bill hartman on ankle mobility? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr9-IB0Rr4

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I've made my achilles more flexible by rolling them with a rubber ball (sort of like a lacrosse ball) rather than stretching them (I massage the achilles, lower calf, and shin muscles and tendons together with the ball). I don't know if you would want to try that right now but when it feels better you could give it a go.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm

jml wrote:I've made my achilles more flexible by rolling them with a rubber ball (sort of like a lacrosse ball) rather than stretching them (I massage the achilles, lower calf, and shin muscles and tendons together with the ball). I don't know if you would want to try that right now but when it feels better you could give it a go.
Thanks for the info!

Frank

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 am

Try some soft tissue work. Work the foot up to the hip.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:22 pm

hoosegow wrote:Try some soft tissue work. Work the foot up to the hip.
I'm not sure how to do that, but I think my shoes might have something to do with my problem. When I put them on, it hurts worse. Not sure whats going on, but will try to wear sandals to see.. Thanks,

Frank

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 pm

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... r_10_bucks

here's an article on soft tissue work

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 pm

anzafrank wrote:
hoosegow wrote:Try some soft tissue work. Work the foot up to the hip.
I'm not sure how to do that, but I think my shoes might have something to do with my problem. When I put them on, it hurts worse. Not sure whats going on, but will try to wear sandals to see.. Thanks,

Frank
hoosegow is saying the same thing as JML. Soft tissue work=rolling with foam roller or a rubber ball. Tennis balls are the cheapest and easiest to find.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:34 pm

jml wrote:http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... r_10_bucks

here's an article on soft tissue work
I don't think you can buy a foam roller for anywhere near ten bucks these days!

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks all,

I hate to admit that I have a 6" foam roller, but never thought to use it. I will start today.

Would using L-Glutamine powder help at all? Thanks,

Frank