Akiles injury stopped my daily walking

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Well you certainly need protein to heal - maybe just add more of everything if you don't have enough, not just Glutamine...?

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:20 pm

frogbyte wrote:Well you certainly need protein to heal - maybe just add more of everything if you don't have enough, not just Glutamine...?
I read somewhere (probably promotional garb) that taking L-Glutamine helps in muscle recovery. True? No? Thanks,

Frank

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Possibly muscle but probably not ligaments and tendons. I've been researching this a little. There are a few supplements that looks promising but unproven. The only thing that really works is time.

L-Glutamine is the most common protein. Just take extra protein, preferably from meat or fish and you will get enough along with all the other little things that might make a difference.

anzafrank
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by anzafrank » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 pm

stuward wrote:Possibly muscle but probably not ligaments and tendons. I've been researching this a little. There are a few supplements that looks promising but unproven. The only thing that really works is time.

L-Glutamine is the most common protein. Just take extra protein, preferably from meat or fish and you will get enough along with all the other little things that might make a difference.
Thanks for doing the checking Stu,

Looks like I sit & wait. First time i've been grounded in over 2 years. I guess I can scrap my glutamine.

Frank

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:01 am

Uh if you already bought it, don't throw it out. :) Also in addition to extra protein supp, consider that minerals are also critical to bone and soft tissue.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 am

frogbyte wrote:Uh if you already bought it, don't throw it out. :) Also in addition to extra protein supp, consider that minerals are also critical to bone and soft tissue.
Good points. I was just reading Mark's Daily Apple. Today's article is on bone stock. I can't help but think that bone stock would be just what the doctor ordered.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:30 pm

In some other thread I was boggling recently at how people would've ever gotten the RDA for Magnesium... consuming bones makes perfect sense... I wonder if grass-fed bones are higher in Magnesium.

Now I feel wasteful for throwing out some chicken bones recently...