Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks,

and yes, I understand the 1x10 thing.

I forgot to mention that the weighted barbell end came to mind because my heaviest dumbbell only weighs 40 lbs.

I haven't even tried this yet, so I don't know whether it will "work." I was thinking I would do a reverse grip at the very tip of the bar with the plates at the stop. But then the 45 lb plates - or the bar - might hit me in the butt when I pull up the bar.

The other option would be to sandwich the plates between two clips out at the end of the bar and grip just behind the inside clip.

I do that with dumbbells - clip plates out at the end - for my forearm exercises.

Another option would be to pull a cable up from the floor.

I'll report back.

SKS

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 pm

I lifted on the 22nd. I attempted the Sumo with the Olympic bar weighted at one end only, with the bar trained under my crotch, and the other end of the bar pinned at the bottom rail of my power cage just below the plate stack.

I used a reverse grip at the end of the bar. At the top of the lift, the bar does hit my crotch, so it feels like I can't really throw my shoulders back the top of the lift.

Bottom line is that I think that this technique might create more problems than it solves.

It does do one thing in particular which I think is worthy of note. Doing two sets with 90 pounds at the end annihilated my hip adductors. But I did a bunch of stretching and continued on with the "proper" sumo deadlifts.

The standard sumo deadlifts don't bother my knees at all.

Question: can the sumo deadlift - a pull exercise which hits the quads as synergists - substitute for both the squat and the standard barbell deadlift, [http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ere ... dlift.html] which is what I had been doing before my knee injury?

The reason I ask is because I would like to develop a routine that will exercise my entire body with minimum of exercises. If I could eliminate the squat altogether, that would be great.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:34 pm

Any exercise that involves a bar hitting your crotch does not sound like a good idea to me.

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm

lol

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:55 pm

The bar under your crotch sounds like a jefferson lift, but to answer your question, sumo's, can they replace squats?. Yes. When I was shipping out, had no squat stands, I used sumo's because , due to my structure, it allowed me to stand more vertical, place more effort onto quads, glutes. I also did cleans and front squats, weather and ship rocking movements allowing, and a lot of diffeent lunges and step ups.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:50 pm

TimD wrote:...weather and ship rocking movements allowing...
Sounds like you were doing unstable surface exercise before it was a fad!

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:14 am

I start a lot of people on Sumo's and hold the squats until they develop the ability to use their hips and get some strength in the glutes. It works out well. I don't care about hitting their quads so much because the glutes and hammies need brought up to par. When you get to this point, you may be able to progress back into squats and have a much better time with them.

KPj

sks24
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sks24 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:59 am

sounds reasonable. between the sumos, water running (really treading water with vigor using a number of different motions) and the elliptical, my knee isn't bothering me at all.

I did try running. Can't get more than two blocks before my knee starts to hurt. Guess it'll be awhile before I can get back out there again. I might try walking very fast after 30 days with no pain.

thank you all very much.