Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Two relatively noob questions

Post by 24fps » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi all,

Well it has been six months since I started working out and it feels great. Aside from a "tiny" injury in my left arm (bench press related) everything is rather smooth.

Now I read/heard somewhere that at some point one must revamp the complete routine and change exercises (not muscles just Ex). Is there any truth to that claim?

I know that when your a rookie you will progress no matter what. I've read an article on this site that claims that this is true for more or less the first year. Now for the last 6 weeks my progress has drastically stopped. Legs are fine but the whole upper body is stuck. Bicep curl is stuck at 27lbs, Lats advances verrrrrrry slowly and Upright bow stands still at 20lbs (on a barbell) etc...

Now either I am doing it so right that I need to change my routine or I am completely off the track, which would be surprising because the gain is clearly visible.

I sleep well and my diet has never been better.

Now if these two issues I raised are related could this be that I am not progressing because my body is accustomed to the routine so I need to shake it?

If not then I am stumped.

Thanks,

Phil

ps, this is what I do: http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout3PPL.html

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:50 pm

There are a million ways to interpret that program. Post your specific routine. You can't measure progress at looking at the small lifts. How are your bench press, rows, pull ups and presses doing? It is normal for these to plateau before legs so some changes may be needed.

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 24fps » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Sure thing Stu, indeed this can lead to wide interpretations.

Here it is

Day 1

Lats - Cable pulldown
Deltoid (side) - Barbell Upright bow
Back - Don't the name of the exercise but it's a Roman Chair Sit-up but in reverse, it really helps my somewhat tender low back
Trapezius (upper) Barbell Shrugs
Biceps - Curl
Wrist Flexors - DB Wrist Curls
Abs - Seated Crunch

Day 2

Pecs - Bench press
Pecs (upper) - Incline bench press
Deltoid (front) - DB Shoulder press
Triceps - Cable pushdown with rope
Wrist Extensors - DB Wrist curls
Obliques - Cable Side Bend w/weight in opposite hand

Day 3

Quad - Leg Press
Hamstring - Barbell Straight Leg Lift
Calves - DB standing calf raise (single leg)
Hip Adductors - Cable Hip Adduction every other week
Hip Abductors - Cable Hip Abduction every other week

Abs - Seated Crunch when week with Hip addu
Obliques - Cable Side Bend when week with Hip abdu

Everything is 3x10

I am off the bench press for another week or two because of a small tendinitis in my left arm.

Now I understand that my routine has a ramp up to it, meaning that the first exercises will work muscle groups overall and while I progress through my day the later exercises will be much harder since the muscles are fatigued.

So, for instance, I am not expecting my wrist flexor to advance rapidly because they always come up at the end of a day's routine. Nevertheless I believe I should see progress in the "prime" or earlier exercises and it did actually for the first 3-4 months but now it is total roadblock.

Thanks

Phil

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Everything is 3x10
This is the main problem. Your body gets used to rep ranges more than anything. You need to mix it up. That's why you see guys here switching to programs like WSFSB and 5,3,1. This provides the variety in rep ranges. Both have some heavy weights and also allow for high rep burn out sets.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... part1.html
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... e_strength

24fps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 24fps » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi,
That's why you see guys here switching to programs like WSFSB and 5,3,1
I am sure it varies from individual to individual but what is the average frequency for switching?

If variety is the issue here couldn't I just switch between what I do now and the same but on a, oh say, 3x5 basis? Don't want to be paranoid here but the way it is suggested it makes me wonders if there is something wrong with the routine I built...

The WSFSB didn't interest me that much, mainly because I am not skinny, I have a very nice natural build (thank you father) so the potential is already there, I just need to train I will see the difference, as it already does.

I kept reading though and way out on the 3rd page I found the Meathead variant, which could suit me fine. A couple of things though:

-max set of 3-5 reps. What does that mean?

-Perform 3 sets of timed sets On what basis do you think, 60 sec, 2 min etc...

-Work up to 3 sets of max reps. So what would be the difference between a max set and this one?

-Just pick a variety of ab exercises and perform them in circuit fashion with no rest between exercises.

What constitutes a variety; 2, 3, 6...?

Now I've read the 5-3-1 article 3 times and so far my grey cells just can't seem to put it in a coherent form. Is there a "5-3-1 for dummies" article somewhere online.

Lastly, I've taken the habit of resting 1 minute between repetitions, is that considered good?

Thanks all ;)

Phil

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm

24fps wrote:The WSFSB didn't interest me that much, mainly because I am not skinny, I have a very nice natural build (thank you father) so the potential is already there, I just need to train I will see the difference, as it already does.
I'm glad you kept reading. They use WSFSB on pro athletes who can bench for warmups what I single for deadlifts. And they use it on actual skinny bastards, too, like me.
24fps wrote:-max set of 3-5 reps. What does that mean?
It's explained in the WS4SB3 article somewhere. Dig a little deeper. But basically you warm up, and then add weight to the bar doing sets of 5, sets of 3, or singles, until you reach a new PR on your top set. Or near a PR, if you're not up to a new PR that day.
24fps wrote:-Perform 3 sets of timed sets On what basis do you think, 60 sec, 2 min etc...
Entirely up to you.
24fps wrote:-Work up to 3 sets of max reps. So what would be the difference between a max set and this one?
Max reps is max reps. Max set is maximum effort - as in, lifting a maximal weight, not repping out. These max reps sets just involve banging out as many reps as you can, resting, doing it again, resting, and doing it a third time. Rest about 2-3 minutes. You'll find about a 20% drop-off if you do it that way - get 20, 16, 12 and you're on track. Get 20, 10, 5 and you're resting too little. Get 20, 20, and 20 and you're resting way too much.

24fps wrote:-Just pick a variety of ab exercises and perform them in circuit fashion with no rest between exercises.

What constitutes a variety; 2, 3, 6...?
For this circuit, 3-4, generally.

This is all based on the articles, reinforced by my personal experience with the system.

24fps wrote:Now I've read the 5-3-1 article 3 times and so far my grey cells just can't seem to put it in a coherent form. Is there a "5-3-1 for dummies" article somewhere online.
Go spend $20 and buy the book! Jim Wendler isn't exactly a millionaire.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:12 pm

pdellorto wrote:Go spend $20 and buy the book! Jim Wendler isn't exactly a millionaire.
he will be soon with all the plugs his book gets on this forum. I'm going to have to try it and see what all the fuss is about