What do you think people over-emphasize in the weightroom?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

NightFaLL

What do you think people over-emphasize in the weightroom?

Post by NightFaLL » Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 am

What are some things people do that you think are wasting their time/money?

Mine:

Spending 100's of dollars on supplements a month. (NO Xplode, etc)

Burnout sets.

Doing isolation when your compounds aren't up to standards. (Curling w/o rowing, etc.)

I'll think of some more while in class today.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 am

Bench Press, Curls, and Shrugs, in no particular order (aka, the mirror).

I think there's generally far too much emphasis on all isolation exercises. A lot of people in my gym seem to do nothing but isolation exercises.

Machines.

Partials. Actually, saying 'partials' is giving too much credit as it implies that they're doing partial reps for a good reason. I don't know what you call it - Partial reps which are mistakenly thought of as full reps. Or, just, "the ego".

Lifting Attire - whether it's being dressed up like they're going to a night club or kitted out with all the latest gloves, straps, wraps, belts, etc etc.

Rest periods.

The sound of their own voice.

Sit ups.

I'll stop there :grin:

KPj

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 am

indoor cardio: Might as well be a rat on a wheel...or a slave on an galley-oar. Get outdoors!!!!

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Mon May 17, 2010 11:05 am

Haha agreed on all the weight lifting equipment. Unless you're a competing powerlifter, it's unnecessary. I have the second highest squat and possibly the highest DL in my gym and I've never used a belt in my life. I used to use straps for DL, but moving away from that.

Also, I hate seeing people do rolling-the-shoulder shrugs when they do them. they probably shouldn't be doing them at all, though.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am

wearing headphones. Especially hot women that I want to chat with. :red:

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon May 17, 2010 11:21 am

Belts. Pretty much everyone in my gym wears a belt for every exercise they do. Why? Fair enough for super heavy squats/deads but for bench pressing in the Smith? Really?

that and the clothes people wear annoys me sometimes too. People at my gym wear a more expensive outfit to train in than I do at a wedding

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon May 17, 2010 11:26 am

oh yeah and gloves. Do you really need those gloves to curl that 5k dumbell?

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 am

Isolation exercises definitely. I hardly see anyone do squats in my gym, and when I see anyone doing them, they're doing quarter or half squats. It's ridiculous. I've only see one guy do proper squats and man, he was doing proper squats. He went way deep with 240+ easily.

Then there's machines.. The only good the machine room in my gym is good for is walking through it when I exit the locker room, but 80% of the people are only ever in the machine room.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 am

At my gym, people just wear ratty clothes. NEVER seen someone dudded up. Regardless of income, sex, etc.

I only see people using belts on stuff like box squats or deadlifts. usually football players.

I lift at the YMCA. Is neither a super powerlifting place, nor a Californication national chain. Very inner city. diverse group of customers (yuppies, students, old people, poor people, not many families though). But big and great diversity of machines. Building is 100 years old and the pool is dug out and brick looking and like from another era. Makes me feel like Jack Lalanne or something...

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Mon May 17, 2010 1:02 pm

-Doing stuff while standing on a bosu ball

-"Core"

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon May 17, 2010 3:00 pm

I think I spend close to 100/month on protein/vitamins/minerals/omega-3.

I find headphones annoying as well, though I don't begrudge the music lovers out there. But it makes things like "are you still using that bench" much more of a hassle. "What? Hold on." (10 sec later they remove an ear bug.) "Sorry what?"

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon May 17, 2010 3:06 pm

they need the exrx instructions on gym ettiquette and "active rest". Hate when I want to use the machine and some bro or chica figures that s/he should rest seated. :roll:

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 pm

lol, glad I don't go to a gym. Oh, I'm gonna post some pics of my squat rack that I built soon. (:

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Fri May 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Too much emphasis? OK...how about emphasizing your head for starters:

1. Wearing tow chains around your neck when you do dips and chins...please don't do this unless you are freaking huge.

2. Using so much weight on the cross-over pully station that your form sucks. GO AWAY and find some free weights, a bar, and your balls.

3. Shaving your head and covering yourself with scary tattoos to look intimidating... please don't do this if you look like a dog that needs wormed.

4. Bringing your hot girlfriend to watch you moan and squeel under whimply weight loads....make them sweat their little buns off so we can ignore you and pay attention to them.

5. Random sampling of the gym equipment...aka: "Gee...I wander what this does?" If you don't have a clue, ask or stay out.

6. (If your gym has tanning beds) Obese chicks who tan. Sorry, but being burnt doesn't make a difference...you are still fat.
Squeeze life until it bleeds.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sat May 22, 2010 12:03 pm

1. talking and not really focusing on what they are there at the gym for
2. bad form (shrugging your shoulders, rounding your back, knees over toes, etc)
3. crunches...way overated
4. too many reps on 1 set. I have seen someone at the pull up assistant machine doing pull ups over and over for over a minute