back problems

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

back problems

Post by mastaoeks » Fri May 28, 2010 10:22 pm

howdy fellas this is my first post on here , great site has helped me alot.
i have problems with my scapula , and my back in general from years of throwing around weight like a dummy and working construction . finally i decided to stop drinking doing drugs and live a clean healty life.
i have pulled my left scapula out of place the first time when i was about 14 working then ever since then ive had few injuries on it , right now i have winged scapulae .

what are some good excercises to fix this problem ?
right now im trying push ups plus , regular push ups , face pulls

what excercises should i avoid ?

heres some pictures of my back :

http://s796.photobucket.com/home/mastaoeks

please let me know how bad it is

thanks for your help , im looking forward to contributing to this board

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 30, 2010 2:51 am

I looked at your photos, and it doesn't look too bad to me. There was one photo (number 2) where your arms are extended out in front of you, but I can't tell exactly what they are doing. It would be helpful to see what the scapulae do when you are pressing against something. Face the wall with your hands on the wall in a push-up-like position, and press against the wall ligntly and have a photo taken.

Since it is obviously symmetrical, you don't need to worry about nerve issues, probably just strength.

Do you have an symptoms? Pain? Numbness? I'm thinking probably not.

In that case, what you're doing is what you should be doing. Here's a link that pdellorto posted on his blog this week:

http://nicktumminello.com/2010/01/push- ... etter-way/

It shows some refinements of push-up plus that are worth knowing about.

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

pain and numbness

Post by mastaoeks » Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 pm

no pain and numbness right now , i had pain before when i injured it , what happend is i was doing flyes with incorrect form about a year ago with very heavy weigh with chest out an my scapule were out and once i was lowering the weight i let go and it felt like i pulled something , the next day i slept on that side adn when i woke up i had terrible pain right underneath the shoulderblade

it felt as if i had torn the infraspinitus . after that the pain presisted for a few months until i went to get acupuncture . for about half year i stopped throwing weights all together. i still fell sort of weakness in the area but it doesent hurt anymore.

i will take some pictures tommrow with my arms pushing against the wall, the scapulae stick out

thanks for the advise

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mastaoeks » Sun May 30, 2010 10:10 pm

the worst part is after this injury i had terrible acid reflux so i couldnt sleep straight on my back since the acid would burn my throat . it was horrible ..and just recently its almost all gone , i have started eating healthy, or try to anyways

it could also be related to my move(the reflux) , or the continuing drug and alcohol use, i have moved from the westcoast to the east of canada
but since then i have matured and realized what my priorities are in life

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:51 am

mastaoeks wrote:the worst part is after this injury i had terrible acid reflux so i couldnt sleep straight on my back since the acid would burn my throat . it was horrible ..and just recently its almost all gone , i have started eating healthy, or try to anyways

it could also be related to my move(the reflux) , or the continuing drug and alcohol use, i have moved from the westcoast to the east of canada
but since then i have matured and realized what my priorities are in life
Probably not drugs, but excessive alcohol consumption is a problem. Smoking makes it worse too.

Some people just have it to some degree though. I have it, and there is nothing I do that causes it, it's just how my body is. For me, not eating within 2 or 3 hours of going to bed does the trick. As long as I do that, I never have a problem.

What you might try doing, is putting a couple boards under the posts at the head of the bed. That way your bed is at a slight incline, which may keep things from running into your esophagus.

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mastaoeks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:19 pm

thats exactly what i do , i actually built myself a little wooden wedge and put it under my matress .

i have another problem i just noticed , it seems when i move my left arm up my left collarbone ( the tip that connects to the ribcage slips back , and when i lower my arm it goes back to normal : :?: :?: this would be a motion like swinging both my arms like a fast swimming stroke , could this be related to my previous scapulae injury ? it feel real weird but doesent hurt ,
now this is really messed if i pull my shoulders back and try to do the same movement the bone doesent move but my rotator the bone slips inside the rotator cuff and makes a crack and not a nice feeling ....

can someone advise me on this ???

Thanks

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:19 am

I'm not a doctor, but nice back development!

For what it's worth I had kinda that same thing -- still do a bit. It's more when I'm lifting than anything else, but I had it pretty bad a while ago. It has gone away a good amount though since I started throwing in more shoulder workouts from different angles. I'm sort of a hypochondriac and so I immediately assumed it was from my car accident (it was pretty bad -- broke my neck and collarbone and a few ribs) but I think it's just from stress and not good enough muscle development at this point.

I just usually ignore it but if I feel pain when I'm lifting I'll stop the workout if it persists.

Dunno if that helps; I'm sure you'll get a more experienced response though.

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mastaoeks » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 am

you and me both ,
i am a hypochondriac , i have paranoia , i cant sleep due to anxiety ( now getting abour 4 hours 6 tops a night , this is all due to extensive drug use and alcohol ,and stress i get plenty of that , however its getting much better , im going on a vacation next week im sure that will help my mindstate, :wink:

what i would think the movement of the collar bone from,is that my serratus anterior is not holding the scapula and once the arm is raised the top of the scapula pushes against the body creating pressure that makes the shoulderblade slide off from the ribcage , i always thought that it was attached to the bone , but is it attached to the pec ?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:36 am

mastaoeks wrote:thats exactly what i do , i actually built myself a little wooden wedge and put it under my matress .
Actually, raising just the shoulders can make reflux worse. It compresses the abdomen a little, and increases the pressure in the stomach. Better to raise the legs at the head like ironman does.

All the other advice can help some--eliminating tabacco, alcohol, caffeine; reducing meal size; no food or drink within 2 or 3 hours of bedtime can all help. Medicines that reduce stomach acid production, or neutralize acidity help as well as medicine that promotes gastric motility and gastroesophogeal muscle tone are also potentially helpful. There is a fairly simple laparoscopic surgery that is often a permanent fix.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 am

in before talks of a chiropractor. :green:

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mastaoeks » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 am

the reflux is not the problem anymore , i eat lots of greens and fruits and sleep on incline and i never get it anymore , the problem is the moving collar bone

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 pm

mastaoeks wrote:you and me both ,
i am a hypochondriac , i have paranoia , i cant sleep due to anxiety ( now getting abour 4 hours 6 tops a night , this is all due to extensive drug use and alcohol ,and stress i get plenty of that , however its getting much better , im going on a vacation next week im sure that will help my mindstate, :wink:
Yep. I'm an ex-alcoholic as well (been sober now for about 7 months) and that's one of the first things I notice whenever I quit (this isn't the first time I've stopped). It definitely gets better with time -- the hardest thing is not turning back to it when you get like that. I've found even if I don't feel like working out if I'm stressed just getting to the gym and taking it out on the weights helps a lot and I feel great after.

Congrats on trying to better your life, and good luck!

Have a good vacation as well!

mastaoeks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mastaoeks » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:00 pm

does your collar bone slip at the bottom , where it connects to the rib cage ? or does it slipwhere it connects to the shoulder ? where it goes to the rib cage does it connect to a joint or a muscle is this why it slips back?

most importantly , what can fix this ?

im gonna go to the chiro like suggested once i get back
p.s i really should take a kinesiology class

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:17 pm

mastaoeks wrote:does your collar bone slip at the bottom , where it connects to the rib cage ? or does it slipwhere it connects to the shoulder ? where it goes to the rib cage does it connect to a joint or a muscle is this why it slips back?

i really should take a kinesiology class
If you mean the cracking, I don't think I had actual shoulder separation but it was probably just fluids moving around (like when you crack your back) and if there is inflammation in that area it can sometimes be painful. I don't know what it was however, since I never saw a doctor (I hate doing that more than the pain associated with almost any injury I've had).

If you're worried you may want to see a doctor. If you can't afford one you can usually get an ER to check you out (but you'll be stuck with a huge bill that could go against your credit). I'll generally just stop doing the thing that's painful and it goes away.

The same thing happened with my neck and whenever I moved it in a circle it would crack and hurt real bad. I saw a doctor after it had been that way about 3 months and he didn't think it was a big deal (I was afraid it was from the accident). I didn't bother to get X-rays (my medical insurance wouldn't cover it and I didn't feel like spending the cash) and when I stopped fv(k with it, it got better.

I think I messed with it a lot and exacerbated the inflammation.

Again though, I'm not a doctor and I don't know if it was the same thing you are seeing, at all. I've just noticed the same type of cracking and "slipping" sensation and pain sometimes associated with it.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm

mastaoeks wrote:the reflux is not the problem anymore , i eat lots of greens and fruits and sleep on incline and i never get it anymore , the problem is the moving collar bone
OK. Gottcha.

Just to be clear, the place where it moves is the inner end of the collar bone, where it attaches (or should attach) to the breast bone? You say that it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure that there's much that you either need or can do about that.