Will this confuse the muscles?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:33 pm

robertscott wrote:my flexibility in these ares is about the worst on the planet I'd say. My hamstrings are tight due to APT, and my chest is tighter than a drum through too much benching.

As for failing suddenly in a set, I don't have that problem. It's usually a case of the reps gradually slowing down with maybe 1 'grinding' rep. What would it mean if I did?
I read somewhere that a sudden failure during exercise causes more microtears in the exercising muscles than the usual gradual slowing down, which would lead to a greater likelihood of DOMS. That seems to be just speculation, though.

The theory that exercise-induced microtears in muscles form adhesions to each other as they heal has more evidence behind it. The adhesions shorten the range of motion and make the muscle tighter when they heal. Exercise cause the adhesions to break and heal together again in a vicious cycle. And DOMS is present all through the process.

Range of motion limitation is probably an adaptation the body makes to repetitive motion activities like distance running, which makes it more efficient. Extreme flexibility isn't good for a marathon runner. But really tight muscles can mess up your posture


robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

a super tight chest has already messed up my posture but I've worked on it pretty hard over the last few years and my shoulders are a lot less rounded. Still not perfect, but better.

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 am

robertscott wrote:a super tight chest has already messed up my posture but I've worked on it pretty hard over the last few years and my shoulders are a lot less rounded. Still not perfect, but better.
Good to hear that you're doing something about it. Gyms are full of bench pressing fiends who are more concerned with PRs than long term health.

Hamstrings are almost impossible for me to improve. I spend much more time sitting than stretching :frown:

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:32 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:
robertscott wrote:a super tight chest has already messed up my posture but I've worked on it pretty hard over the last few years and my shoulders are a lot less rounded. Still not perfect, but better.
Good to hear that you're doing something about it. Gyms are full of bench pressing fiends who are more concerned with PRs than long term health.

Hamstrings are almost impossible for me to improve. I spend much more time sitting than stretching :frown:
yeah, it's not all that hard to throw in some face pulls and external rotations at the end of a workout. Might not be as fun as the big lifts but it needs to be done.

my hamstrings'll never be flexible i don't think, if I was going to spend hours stretching I'd be better off stretching my hips

frankie123
Novice
Novice
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Post by frankie123 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 am

yeap so i changed me reps n sets for this month but leaving the total reps after each exercise the same

so i was doing

3 sets 12 reps

now im doing

4 sets 9 reps


NightFaLL
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am

Post by NightFaLL » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 am

frankie, just remember that the only thing that matters is getting stronger.

Nothing else really matters to that great of a degree.

If you're lifting heavier weight for the same reps, you're making progress. Just focus on that and not so much on specific set/rep schemes so much.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 pm

NightFaLL wrote:frankie, just remember that the only thing that matters is getting stronger.

Nothing else really matters to that great of a degree.

If you're lifting heavier weight for the same reps, you're making progress. Just focus on that and not so much on specific set/rep schemes so much.
You know, I have a friend/client that I coach. He's done trap bar deadlifts every Monday (+/- one day) since 10/1/2009. No variation. First linear lifting, then when that started to wear on him we switched to 5/3/1 with every 4th week being a deload. We probably could have gone another month or more of linear increases, but 5/3/1 was a helpful change for him. He's showing no sign of stalling, he went from a tough 5 x 314 his first workout - itself a huge PR - to a solid 6 x 410 in that time, with us taking his weights up very conservatively to ensure he never, ever misses his goal reps. He's gotten steadily stronger. We've varied up his assistance work, but otherwise it's steadily been the same exercise every week.

His muscles show plenty of adaptation, but no sign that "confusing" them was necessary. In fact, if we'd spent all of our time swapping around different exercise, I'm sure he wouldn't be pulling 410 with at least another couple cycles in him.

So yeah, muscle confusion. Bah.


Post Reply