Talk me some glute ham compound shiznet (please)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Talk me some glute ham compound shiznet (please)

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

This sounds strange, but I'm looking for some compound leg exercise to break a bit of a whole body sweat. Deadlifts and squats are probably out. any glute or hamstring type stuff that would be best to really put the body under some overall impact? But keep the quadricep/patella out of the action?

I already do glute isolations and seated leg curls. Will keep those, but want MORE. I'm adding lying leg flexions with the cable and that gets the sartarious along with the ilio but it's really mostly ilio Any ideas for glute? or glute-ham? How about these faceplants I hear about? Or glute ham raise, I read about? What would go best into my program (see log).

P.s. I don't mind threadjacking. :green:

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:30 pm

How about Straight-leg Deadlifts or Good Mornings?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm

I've never tried them. Anything to read up on or watch out for? Which do you think would be better for popping a sweat? What do I need to watch out for backwise?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Cripes this is complicated. I see all the following similar exercises:

Good morning bent leg
Good morning straight leg

Rounded back straight leg deadlift
Rounded back stiff leg deadlift
Flat back straight leg deadlift
Flat back stiff leg deadlift

And the RDL which seems like sort halfway between a normal deadlift (lots of Rippetoe quads driving the weight) and a stiffie.

-----------------

I'm not sure which is best to do (or even to try first). :cry:

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:03 pm

I really like RDL's and they Hammer my Hamstrings and Glutes. Don't get much for my quads out of them though.

And for me, the best part is they are so similar to a True Deadlift that much of the movement carries over. Everything from the grip to the straightness of the back.

There's also Hypers and 45^ Hypers that I do occasionally that hit my hams and glutes.

Cliff

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I prefer the straight-back variation of Straight-leg Deadlifts.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Straight back it is.

What about the stiff leg (I guess that means slight knee bend) versus straight leg dead lift? Here are the two descriptions:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham ... dlift.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Glu ... dlift.html

It says that stiff targets the glutes and only synergies the hams and viceversa with straight. Is there really that much difference? Does one of them kinda hit glutes and hams 50-50? Like an "almost straight leg" deadlift...lol? Would stiff bother my patella still? Love the idea of exercising the butt more really than the hams. Especially since I probably will lack a quad-glut style motion like normal deads, squats,

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Sorry if I missed your reasoning, but why are you wanting to keep the petella and quad out?

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 pm

"What about the stiff leg (I guess that means slight knee bend) versus straight leg dead lift?"

Unlock your knees (slightly bent). It works way better.

Han

Post by Han » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:12 am

Either of those links looks fine. It's what you see most people doing for deadlifts in commercial gyms. Very few people in my gym lift from the floor. They even do these in "body pump" classes.

Why don't you just try it with the bar only and see how your knee goes? A few reps with 20 kgs isn't going to kill you. Then just add weight slowly.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:12 am

Personally I'd do RDLs, they're awesome. A lot of fine tuning needs done with you're technique

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:42 am

Try kettlebell swings. The action is all in the glutes and you can keep going until you're a puddle. Start with one arm and switch mid swing about every 10-20 reps.

A good strength exercise is pull-throughs. They have a direct carry over to a PT test that we have to do so I've been experimenting with them. (I've already passed the test so I can experiment now). I do 2 variations. Used a rope attached to a low pully, facing the pully with a chocked up grip, bent over with a straight back and straight arms, stand up by using a forceful hip thrust. The second variation is facing away from the pully with the rope between you legs. This is the more normal variation but the first is more task specific. Between them you get a great glute/hamstring/lower bak workout that shouldn't bother your knees.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:12 am

I'll second the recommendation for swings. You can start two-arm to get the motion and then progress to one-arm, or just go lighter for a one-arm swing. Get a good hip snap, just let the kettlebell or dumbbell follow the hips (don't try to actually hoist it up), and you're golden.

For RDLs, I do them like this:

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/RL.htm

But I don't find I build up much of a sweat doing them.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:03 am

A. The KB (I would have to use DB) swings sound intriguing actually. Even more so than the pull throughs (Just the athleticness of it intrigues me. And I would go slow so as not to hurt shoulder, etc. But seems more like a sporting movement than the pullthrough.)

Q1. Any tips on form for w newbie? (What to watch out for safety-wise? Also, what to emphasize to target glutes mostly?)

Q2. Are my quads/patella kept out of activity?

Q3. Is 2 by 10 ok? I just like keeping rep/set count same for everything I do. I would circuit it with something else, probably the lying leg flexions. (Weight to start at? I'm 5-8, 164#, 11%bf.)

Q4. Do you agree that the DB swing is superior to the pullthrough or would you prefer me doing pull throughs?

Q5. Would you prefer me on the DB swings or on the straight leg deadlifts or the pull throughs? (Imagine I pick only one because the rest of the program I want to keep...not looking for a radical revision, just to start getting a bit more "humping it" compounds mixed in.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 am

the swings are quite different than the others so I don't see it as an either/or thing. Do them when you want a metabolic challenge. Don't go slow, they're meant to be dynamic and use momentum. All the driving force should come from your hips. Start with light weight. Kettlebells work better than dumbbells but dumbbells will work. 2 handed swings, holding on to the end of the DB works well.

Here's a picture with the start and end positions.

Here's a different grip that works pretty good. Image