Breathing Problem.... I don't

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

wilburburns

Breathing Problem.... I don't

Post by wilburburns » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am

Obviously, I do breath while lifting, but it just doesn't seem right. This is mostly evident when Pressing (bench and Overhead).

So, what I'm looking for is some cues on when to breath and how.

Here is basically what I am doing now.

Bench:
Setup on Bench, unrack the weight, tighten shoulders and back, take a big breathe,
Quickly Rep 4-6, hold Bar at top grab another quick deep breath and complete.

Not really a BIG problem with rep ranges 1-5, but anything over 5 and I HAVE to breath. I seem to lose tightness when I grab a new breath.

Overhead Press:
Basically the same as Bench, except I might breath with the Bar resting on my traps instead of in the extended position.

How can I focus on breathing more and remaining tight. Also, is it better to breath with the weight on the chest or in the lockout position.

I seem to be breathing OK when squatting (but really can't say what I do currently, it just happens). And When Deadlifting, I am having trouble getting into a good routine/technique after the first rep. That's a whole different situation and KPJ has given some recommendations on how to correct this, besides, it's easier to breath when there is not any tension on the bar at all. :lol:

Thanks,
Cliff

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Just try to breathe normally. Holding your breath would be counterproductive.

I may take a deep breath at the end of a set though before I get the last rep or two in just to supply more oxygen to the cells.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Yeah you should definitely be breathing on every rep.

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:06 pm

You can keep your tightness on bench if you exhale just a little bit and then take a small breath. Do this with the bar locked out since you'll lose tightness and the stretch reflex if you breath at the bottom.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:35 am

jml wrote:You can keep your tightness on bench if you exhale just a little bit and then take a small breath. Do this with the bar locked out since you'll lose tightness and the stretch reflex if you breath at the bottom.
Yeah, what the kid said. He's right.

You don't have to breath with every rep. Read Rip on this, it's exactly what he says. He also says that if you can hold your breath for the whole set, go ahead and do it. Valsalva with not cause your heart or aorta to explode. Get the breath as you get tight at the top of bench or press, just before you drop on squat and just before you pull on DL. If I'm going to take a breath on a particular rep, I blow a little breath out through tight lips just as I lock out, then grab some air, trying to keep my belly and back tight as I do it.

If you can "just breath naturally" you aren't lifting enough weight. That's fine for high-rep work, or power work, but not when it gets heavy, and that means "heavy for you", not heavy for anyone else.

DL is the one that I think is different, and that you should take at least 1, maybe 2 breaths between. It's part of that re-set that KPj told you about in the journal comments. Take the breath, then tighten up again, and then pull again.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Jungledoc wrote: You don't have to breath with every rep. Read Rip on this, it's exactly what he says. He also says that if you can hold your breath for the whole set, go ahead and do it. Valsalva with not cause your heart or aorta to explode. Get the breath as you get tight at the top of bench or press, just before you drop on squat and just before you pull on DL. If I'm going to take a breath on a particular rep, I blow a little breath out through tight lips just as I lock out, then grab some air, trying to keep my belly and back tight as I do it.
Rip's advice is what I've been trying to follow. It's just that I can't hold for more than 5 or so heavy reps. From what I'm reading, I should be able to stay tighter if I grab a quick breath while in the lockout under tension.
If you can "just breath naturally" you aren't lifting enough weight. That's fine for high-rep work, or power work, but not when it gets heavy, and that means "heavy for you", not heavy for anyone else.
Agreed completely with this..
DL is the one that I think is different, and that you should take at least 1, maybe 2 breaths between. It's part of that re-set that KPj told you about in the journal comments. Take the breath, then tighten up again, and then pull again.
A couple of breaths while setting up for my DL reps. I'll be sure to try and add this into my new DL routine.

Cliff

MaFi0s0
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaFi0s0 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Holding your breath on the concentric movement is bad for your eyes in the longrun and can do damage.

You are suppose to inhale on the eccentric hold at the beginning of the concentric and exhale in a burst towards the end of the concentric.

If you cant keep your breath then you take afew breaths at peak contraction and continue.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:58 pm

MaFi0s0 wrote:Holding your breath on the concentric movement is bad for your eyes in the longrun and can do damage.
What is your source for this information???

Cliff

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Jungledoc wrote:He also says that if you can hold your breath for the whole set, go ahead and do it.
i liek oxygen ;)

It isn't necessarily easy to try and breathe normally when lifting heavy weights; it certainly isn't with running, either. If you can do it, I believe your autonomic nervous system is fully capable of controlling your breathing and that's what I've been told to do by others, in the Marines and by everthing I've read (and it's what it says on the machines, as well).

The whole breathe out on concentric thing makes sense though, and I think I do that sometimes and time my reps that way. I really don't see how it would be beneficial to hold your breath and deprive your blood of its much needed oxygen, though.

How is that beneficial?

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 am

Anaerobic = without oxygen

From what I understand, that means your cells aren't using oxygen during strength training.

It's the reason weight training isn't a highly fat oxidative form of training.

I'm almost positive that the restoration of ATP is post-set during which you'll probably be breathing heavier as a result.

Just from what I understand.

I also breath at the top of the sets, however, I don't think it's important on short ATP-oriented sets (1-5 reps, etc).

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:23 am

If I didn't breath...that would just suck. I do circuited sets of 10. I breath every rep. Waiting until after the set, would be noticeably harder than swim practice, where you do those ramp ups to 7 strokes before a breath. It would just blow.

I donno...maybe it would make me fitter. But I don't want that extra form of torture of training with breath limitation, on top of the failure weight training... :frown:

I just breath in on every concentric. It might not be optimal for 1RM style power lifting, but my muscles still get put under tension, still fail fine, still grow. And it feels a lot better...

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 pm

ApolytonGP wrote:If I didn't breath...that would just suck. I do circuited sets of 10. I breath every rep. Waiting until after the set, would be noticeably harder than swim practice, where you do those ramp ups to 7 strokes before a breath. It would just blow.

I donno...maybe it would make me fitter. But I don't want that extra form of torture of training with breath limitation, on top of the failure weight training... :frown:

I just breath in on every concentric. It might not be optimal for 1RM style power lifting, but my muscles still get put under tension, still fail fine, still grow. And it feels a lot better...
Your training is muscular endurance, not strength training per se, I think I mentioned this before.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 pm

good point

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:45 am

On bench I take a big breath at the top. I couldn't hold for a few reps. I've tried but I struggle with it.

The valsalva debate is quite bizarre when you think about it. If your best friend was fixing your car and it fell on top of him, and you tried to pull it off, are you trying to tell me you wouldn't hold your breath when attempting to do it? It's completely natural/instinctive.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 am

Let me clarify. If you are doing a quick set of 3 or 4 power presses, holding the breath isn't hard at all. For lots of things, holding for 2 or 3 reps is no big deal. If you can stay tight, and get a quick breath, fine. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying to hold your breath for a whole long set. Your body doesn't need the breath for the lifting (as was pointed out, weightlifting is anaerobic), but staying tight helps. Breathing out on the concentric loses tightness fast. If I'm going to breath, I let my breath out just as I'm locking out.

On DL I hold for concentric, and let it out slowly during eccentric. I think. I'm usually not paying attention to that, just relieved that the weight is going back down at the right time.