Can I exercise my pec too hard?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Did Poly push his pec too purposefully?

You are about to rip it, moron.
25%
Little tweak, don't be so HIT. You're old.
No votes
comme ci, comme ca
No votes
you're finally exercising right...punish that puny pec!
No votes
Don't be so narcisistic
75%

Total votes: 4

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Can I exercise my pec too hard?

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:23 pm

So I have been waking up to my chest muscle. never really had them before. But something has sorta started sprouting on my chest. and I ams sorta into growing it now. (Never had them as part of my normal physique though. Very lat dominant.

Anyhow...you know I do a circuited Dardington HIT style training (except double the volume and an UB/LB split). anyhow, I try to be safe, but keep very strict form AND go very hard (failure trainging). I am NOT pushing huge amounts of weight around on any relative scale (just more than I'm used to).

anyhow, I felt a weird sort of soreness in the middle of my pec (right pec, top part, kinda midway or maybe more towards the sternum than the arm) towards the end of my second set of pec flies (after bench and tricep dips). I do really try to "feel the pec" on the machine flies and do a squeeze and hold at the end (and a pause at the beginning to eliminate bounce). I still completed the set fine and did the rest of my lifts, but just kinda wondered if this was dangerous or not. I have read articles on pec tears and such.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/3866

I checked myself out in the mirror and it is not ripped now, nor is the tweaked pain at all intense.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:33 pm

I don't feel it per se from tensing the muscles, but I really feel something when I roll my shoulders or pull them far back. Kind of a creaking in my chest (audible sometimes). Could this be the Arnie rib-cage expansion? :eek:

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:25 pm

I wonder if I kind of tweaked the ribs actually. Possible? Kind of feel it in my throat and lungs. almost like after a run. hmm...

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 am

I give about an 80% chance it will fall off before tomorrow.

No, seriously -- I think you're fine. You want to give it rest (RICE if you wanna be all gung-ho) and if it still hurts the next few days stay off it till it gets better.

My best guess is you hit a part of the muscle that was somewhat weak at a weird angle and there is some inflammation in the tendons. It doesn't really sound like a tear; not bad enough but just give it rest and you'll prolly be fine.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:47 pm

I went ahead and did upper body today. Had a few points where it felt tweaked. Seems more from stretching it than from lifting. Like on pec dec flies, more when my arms are back, than the squeeze at end. Still did everything. Ended up doing flies first (at normal weight), when usually I do them after bench and tricep dips. So, they were easier. Of course, then the other stuff was harder. Hmm...still not sure if it is kind of the ribs tweaked or the tendon of the pec or even the pec minor (feels deep).

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm pretty sure the nickname for the pec deck is the wreck deck, for reasons you might be able to intuit at this point. That extended motion at the beginning of the movement isn't terribly friendly to the human body.

Han

Post by Han » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Apocalypton, you are a regular on this board and you seem to do a lot of research, and think things through.

Just wondering what your justification is for sticking with a program which is so heavily maching oriented? Surely your frequenting of this board and research wouldn't conclude such a program is optimal?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 am

I would have moved to free weights now, if I felt that my joints could take it. (tried very cautiously with squats and deadlifts and did not work, but was mucho fun.) I have no issue with other people doing the free weights as they can be fun and effective. So can machines.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:38 am

ApolytonGP wrote:I would have moved to free weights now, if I felt that my joints could take it.
Isn't that just a matter of loading? Go as light as you need to until your joints adapt.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 am

I could probably try some exercises free rather than machine (rows maybe, etc.) I'm kind of used to what I'm doing and it's working and there is the whole "don't change what's working, change what doesn't" philosophy. I am very pleased with my 1-2% growth per week, sustained for a year and not plateuing yet. To the extent that I try free weights, I prefer to make gradual changes vice dumping everything and doing Starting Strength.

My issues with squat and conventional deads occur regardless of wehther I use free weights or machines and I tried very light.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:38 am

ApolytonGP wrote: My issues with squat and conventional deads occur regardless of wehther I use free weights or machines and I tried very light.
Do you have problems when you bend over to pick something up, or sit down? Those are basically the same movements. I have problems with squatting too unless I go really light. So that's what I did. You even did bodyweight squats?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 am

I am permanently missing a spot of cartilage under my kneecap. What hurts most is going down stairs. Squatting has some similarity to that. I did some bodyweight squats the first day and then worked up to 2 by 10 at 100 and 2 by 10 at 135 on deadlifts (which I think was well under capability muscle-wise). Really not sure which of the two hurt my knee, but had a flare-up where I couldn't bike for 2 weeks. It wasn't so much pain from during the lifts as pain afterwards that hurt me throughouth the day and reduced my activities.

And I totally LOVED the free weights...the manliness of it and all. So I didn't want to stop it. But outdoor biking is like my one enjoyable cardio thing. A joy of life and even useful for transport. I mean I can't ski or play soccer or the like. Biking is repetive and safe, but I get outdoor enjoyment. I had issues before with LP. I just think it is my knee with too much damage done from being fat and old and my genes.

I'm sure, I could play with freeweight benching and rows and some other things. And maybe I will eventually. I just don't feel some drive...like as if I were not gaining fast enough...very satisfied with my ant-like march up Mount Everest! Honest, am self-actualized and positive about my gains...I dwell on good thoughts rather than inadequacies. And it's not like I have to convert from Catholicism to Luther or something. I can stay Catholic without resenting the other faiths (or maybe I am the offshoot from Orthodoxy. :lol: )

I realy don't think there is that much difference machine to free...you're still moving muscles. I know it is a big argument an some people even feel emotional about it. But I think we are all lifting brethren despite what tool we use. And Chris Sommers (National Junior Olympic men's gymnastics coach) says that muscles are built by a sustained course of exercise...doesn't matter if it is free or lever or bodyweight or even rubber bands.

And I feel safer on the machines and can circuite and all. If I did do free...I would go all the way to dumbells. Barbell tends to give me grip/elbow issues and there are safety issues. With either machine or dumbells is safety easier and also, you can vary the grip more. I will push "suicide" on the chest press for instance.

But it's cool...I'm here to pick up tidbits of information that help me. I will still approach my religion as I see fit. I'm the one who has to live with it. I'm the captain driving the ship. And I'm not threatening others because I do different things, or even if I get good results doing different things.

Peace.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 am

Rucifer wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote: My issues with squat and conventional deads occur regardless of wehther I use free weights or machines and I tried very light.
Do you have problems when you bend over to pick something up, or sit down? Those are basically the same movements. I have problems with squatting too unless I go really light. So that's what I did. You even did bodyweight squats?
Bending over is fine. Sitting down is the problem (bent knee under load)!

I actually will sacrifice my back (or arch it and push the hamstring flexability a bit) to pick stuff up, rather than squatting to pick up. It's almost like I have to sacrifice back or knee and rather take it easy on knee.

I did sort of invent this way of picking stuff up that works for both knee and back safety (which I've since seen advocated on websites and youtube). Basically, you pivot at the hips and stand on one leg straight and the torso goes down and back leg comes up (in a line). Sort of like doing a scale.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Aren't we talking about your pec here? If you can't squat, fine, that doesn't mean you can't do overhead dumbbell presses or overhead presses.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Generally machines are much tougher on your joints than free weights, because on machines you can use unrealistically heavy weight and do more dead-stop movements.