Fustration! (weakness and fatigue today)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

synergy317
Novice
Novice

Fustration! (weakness and fatigue today)

Post by synergy317 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Here is the history:
I do a full body routine 3 days a week. Starting off with a 20 rep set of squats. then 3 sets of 5 of other lifts. My question relates to the squats (mainly).
For the last 4 weeks, I have going up 5 pounds on every lift every workout, and I am running on a calorie deficit. My main goal has been fat loss. I started this routine with sub-max loads which let me go up 5 pounds each workout.

So the problem. I finally reached 180lbs on my super-squat set about a week ago. I was completely exhausted so I didnt finish the routine, and decided to repeat it the next training day which was after the weekend. I performed worse than than the previous training day. Then today, even worse! I had to rack the bar on the super squats at rep 10. Plus, I had a pain in my knee which I never felt before. And, last night my knees were sore through the night for no apparent reason.

I guess possible causes are diet, getting sick, or over training. Though I highly doubt I am over training. any, ideas about the cause?

So, I really dont know what to do right now. I could reduce all lifts by 5-10 pounds and continue. Take a week or so off and just cardio it up instead.

Any ideas? Especially about the knee pain, that worries me mostly. I really dont want to ignore it and regret it later.

**I know lifting isnt the most efficient way to lose fat, but I actually have been gaining muscle and losing fat for the past week or so (I still get noob gains I guess).

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 pm

I doubt the dieting caused your knee issue. That is something related to how you do the exercise or to your body having issues with that type of loading.

The fatigue thing...I've lived it. If your priority is fat loss, you have to learn to train through it. You'll get used to lifting in glycogen depletion. Try to watch out for head rushes and get some water in you. Just be careful, but keep going.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:00 pm

I wouldn't stop lifting. So you'r near failure now. fine. Lift away.

synergy317
Novice
Novice

Post by synergy317 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

ignoring the problem is not how I want to go about it.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Pay attention to the knee and modify your form or activity so you don't exacerbate it.

Live with the fatigue.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:31 pm

I normally find when my lifts suffer like that, I take a week off (it's hard to make myself but I manage to!) and when I come back I'm always stronger. The extra recovery and the motivation to not get weaker in 2 weeks since the last lift must get me through it. I normally get those aches when I've been lifting heavy for a while, I change rep ranges if it carries on and lower the weight and I'm fine again.

Han

Post by Han » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

If it were me, I'd probably take a couple of weeks off squats but continue with other lifts. Then try squats again but may start at 10-25% lower weight than your last workout and work up again. If the pain is still there, see a physiotherapist.

20 rep squats ... can't personally think of anything worse.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm

I agree with what Nevage and Han have said. Also, when you start up again, pay careful attention to form issues, especially those that affect the knees. Make sure that the knees stay directly over and in line with the feet. Also, make sure that you are sitting back well enough that the knees don't shoot way out in front of the toes.

I'm wondering about the long-term wisdom of doing sets of 20 every workout. How about 3x5? or even 5x5? And how about every-other workout?

synergy317
Novice
Novice

Post by synergy317 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Yeah, I do not think that super squats is a good idea for the long term. I will definitely switch off of it soon. If the problem persists after my next training day, I will stop for a week and just further increase my squat form during the time off.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Fustration! (weakness and fatigue today)

Post by KPj » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:53 am

synergy317 wrote: **I know lifting isnt the most efficient way to lose fat, but I actually have been gaining muscle and losing fat for the past week or so (I still get noob gains I guess).
In my view lifting is one of the most effective ways to do it :smile: Of course assuming the diet is in check.

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:32 am

If you're going to squat frequently, and you should, don't take it to the point you're grinding out the reps. There's nothing wrong with going heavy or going for endurance but if you're training frequently you can't do it all at once. Protect your CNS at all costs.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Fustration! (weakness and fatigue today)

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:57 am

synergy317 wrote:Here is the history:
I do a full body routine 3 days a week. Starting off with a 20 rep set of squats. then 3 sets of 5 of other lifts. My question relates to the squats (mainly).
For the last 4 weeks, I have going up 5 pounds on every lift every workout, and I am running on a calorie deficit. My main goal has been fat loss. I started this routine with sub-max loads which let me go up 5 pounds each workout..
The 20-rep squat is used in bulking routines, not slimming routines. Using it to build muscle while dieting is overkill.

You might consider increasing your caloric intake slightly on days that you're working out, and reducing it commensurately on days that you don't. Unless you're on a ketogenic diet, low blood sugar levels will sabotage your workouts.

synergy317
Novice
Novice

Post by synergy317 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 pm

I think I am just going to take a break for a week, my knees still have a dull ache at times. I will probably adopt a 5x5 or 5X3 program and drop super squats until I start eating enough.