I think I will stop exercising my back

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think I will stop exercising my back

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Haven't hurt it or anything. Starting to do more weight and was doing a deliberate rounded back flex and extend on the GHR thingie. But it seems like a dumb exercise...and I worry about what happens when I end going heavy. Also, I hit back now a bit in SLDL.

Thinking of not even replacing the exercise with anything else. I can do my foam rolling in the spot where that circuited exercise was. Kinda radical for me, to lower number of movements...

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Dude, not training your perfectly healthy back sounds like the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

I don't mean to be overly critical, and I'm really sorry if that comes off as flaming, but I can't put it any other way.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are going to limit your back training to straight legs?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:22 pm

The bean counter is correct. You have to have some muscle balance. You have to do some rows and chins to keep your upper back strong to keep your shoulders healthy.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:38 pm

I might still be a moron, but to clarify, I meant no erector spinae direct work. (that would be stifflegs only). I do rows and lat pulldowns for the general upper/mid back muscles.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 pm

ApolytonGP wrote:I might still be a moron, but to clarify, I meant no erector spinae direct work. (that would be stifflegs only). I do rows and lat pulldowns for the general upper/mid back muscles.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH.

Yeah okay, I don't see an issue then if your really hammering them good with the straight legs.

maybe toss is some weighted hypers or whatever they are called once in awhile.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:26 pm

That's what I was considering ditching. The weighted hypers. Important to keep?

Han

Post by Han » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:21 am

My understanding is no, not important for a beginner if you are doing some kind of dead lift. None of the beginner full body programs have them, anyway.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 am

If you have SLDLs, Rows and pulldowns in your program, you have it all covered.

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:40 pm

I rarely do anything specifically for my lower back, but if you're doing mostly machines you probably should.

The reason I hardly do any core work is because of the amount of weight I lift in major fullbody lifts (Squat, Deadlift) both of which I do without a belt, even on max attempts and I feel because of that my lower back is ridiculously strong. So as long as you're doing free weight squat/DL where your core (Low Back/Abs) are involved, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course, if you regularly do weighted situps, you'll want to do weighted back extensions, too.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:40 pm

I do SLDL 2 by 10 at a pretty moderate weight. It will build up to be more impressive, but just trying to train smart. Injuries stop me much more than does fatigue or lack of growth. I do not squat.

I guess I could keep the weighted hypers, but I see all this controversy over whether you should keep back flat or actually on purpose flex it (one would be more of an isometric, the other an active movement). also, I'm only doing 2 by 10 25 and it's not that challenging.

hours of yard work or snowshoveling or the like can overtax me though.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:27 pm

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:57 pm

thanks, Jungle, for the content. Pretty good stuff and I like that guy's style. that said, it seemed to reflect the confusion and controvery over the movement.

I have previously been doing back (not hip) extensions (not hyperextensions) on the 45 machine (what we have). Basically what Lyle advocates in this article. (Was good for me to reread that thing after some time under the bar.)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/traini ... nique.html