hip thrusts and bridges: "bring back sexy"

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

hip thrusts and bridges: "bring back sexy"

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:30 pm

I am thinking about doing hip thrusts. I know...do it...bla bla. But can we analyze them a little? Please?

I been reading all the Contreras stuff. Had seen it before, but now it resonates with me.

I actually have some good excuses here for doing the excerize:
  • 1. Can take a bit more wastage on LB day (not as much of an issue as it used to be, since I added RDLs and cable knee flexions, but still at least it's not like UB day where I'm overwasted).
    2. Can't squat, but need to hit glute somehow.
    3. Glute is a big muscle.
    4. May end up having to ditch RDLs (starting to feel some patella itch.)
    5. I max out our glute isolation machine and eventually will run out of ability even with putting more weight on the stack.)
1. any opinion on weightde bridge versus weighted hip thrust? this is just a small part of a day's routine and the two are similar, so "both" is not a good option. I just want a general good lift. If one is easier on the quad/patella would favor that.

2. Is having the bar run over your face a danger at all? (I will start with BW and work up, but I have some junk trunk power I think and will be liftintg more soon.)

3. Anything else to watch out for in safety or form or to get most benefit?

-------------------------

I think I will take my current LB day routine and just put the hip thrusts where I have glute machine now. and move glute machine to the end. So it would be like this:

10RDL (fun)
12 L Capain's chair, 12 R captain's chair SL L seats (major suck)
10RDL (fun)
12 L Capain's chair, 12 R captain's chair SL L seats (major suck)
10 hip thrusts (?)
10 lying knee cable flexions (fun)
10 hip thrusts (?)
10 lying knee cable flexions (fun)

circuited 2 by 10: hip abd/hip add/LE/LC

quadriped glute machine 2 by 10, alternating legs*

*I think with the in between rest will still be strong enough to keep the glute machine at end. Also hip trhusts will be light in the beginning as I work on form. Also, this excercise is amenable to self-circuiting due to the single leg nature of it.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm constraining myself to one thread per day. This is today's. Have an idea for tomorrow.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm

ApolytonGP wrote:I'm constraining myself to one thread per day. This is today's. Have an idea for tomorrow.
This isn't an answer for your question in the first post there will be plenty of that. All I wanted to say is you and caangelcox seem like a match made in heaven from reading your posts. Hah!

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:01 pm

I feel that squats/RDLs really don't involve the glutes on anywhere near the level that a hip thrust does. So they seem worth adding to me (at least every now and then), especially if you're not doing much sprinting.

Why would the bar ever be anywhere near your face during a hip thrust? I don't even see how this would be possible on any normal human.

Edit - here, this explains everything well: http://bretcontreras.wordpress.com/2010 ... hipthrust/

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks for linking the video. I had just looked at that, but wanted to link it for others.

I just tried them today. Is my UB day, but I just tried these.

-Can pretty easily do 10 reps with bodyweight. Doing them the Bret way, avoiding back arch, squeezing glutes, getting up high at the end. I then tried 10 with the bar. Still had plenty of strength, but evevn with the 45 was felling it hit pelvis and/or hip bones. Will try the regular pad or a towel (for now) next time. Also had to find a different bench from where I did the BW (need it unobstructed to use the bar).

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 pm

I did the hip thrusts, not bridges.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Rucifer wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote:I'm constraining myself to one thread per day. This is today's. Have an idea for tomorrow.
This isn't an answer for your question in the first post there will be plenty of that. All I wanted to say is you and caangelcox seem like a match made in heaven from reading your posts. Hah!
LOL

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Hip thrust commonality? :?:

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:19 am

Rucifer wrote:
:lol:

Ain't that the truth!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hip thrusts and bridges: "bring back sexy"

Post by Ironman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:22 am

ApolytonGP wrote:I am thinking about doing hip thrusts. I know...do it...bla bla. But can we analyze them a little?

Well it really depends on whether or not you want to be propositioned by gay men. They're going to think you're on their team, you know. Don't be a cock tease, that's not very nice.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Ironman wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote:I am thinking about doing hip thrusts. I know...do it...bla bla. But can we analyze them a little?

Well it really depends on whether or not you want to be propositioned by gay men. They're going to think you're on their team, you know. Don't be a cock tease, that's not very nice.
I do them as part of my warm-up but i smoke a big cigar while I do it. Keeps me looking masculine and heterosexual so there's no confusion or awkardness

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 pm

I had not self consiousness when I was 70 pounds over and exercising. Seriously, I don't even worry about people looking at me. It blows me away when women (or even men) talk about that on the net. i lift at a city Y. Lot of students and older people in the machine/cardio area. Lot of big brothers in the free weights. people pretty much do their thing. Even when I'm on travel and use other gyms, I never experience any people watching me. heck, if anything I wouldn't mind more interaction, but everybody is pretty much in their own zone.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:06 am

robertscott wrote:
Ironman wrote:

I do them as part of my warm-up but i smoke a big cigar while I do it. Keeps me looking masculine and heterosexual so there's no confusion or awkardness
Ah, but you're a Scotsman. Scotsmen can make a kilt look manly, so anything goes really. :grin:

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 am

aye laddy, that I am. Not only do kilts make you look manly but they drive girls wild!

JoeB
Novice
Novice

Post by JoeB » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:18 pm

I may have to try these exercises. Squatting and deadlifting have done nothing but build my quads and now I have a degenerative disc. Lunges have been the only exercise that makes my glutes sore, but still I am sure my quads do most of the work